Putting things in perspective

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
I'm guilty of this and I suspect others are too.

Today I learned that someone I know has taken a turn for the worse. Things were not all that great but in the past few months they really have gone down hill. I think this person may well have seen their last Christmas though no time frame has been indicated. :(

While I piss and moan about all the little things that are annoying and how things here at home could be better "if", this puts things into perspective. Life is short and this person is perhaps half my age. I need to be grateful for what I have, sometimes the cards you are dealt is a losing hand. Being 60 and healthy is much better than when you are 35-40 and find yourself close to death and in a great deal of pain.

Time to stop and smell the roses.

One of my old work friends has just learned that she has pancreatic cancer. She begins chemo very soon. Naturally, we are all very concerned.

The thing is, that none of us know how long we've got. We may feel healthy, but we have no idea what the future holds. Even if we make it to over 100, it is still a very fleeting time on earth.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend veremchuka. If, as you suspect, he or she doesn't have a great deal of time left, then I hope that the remainder of his/her life is as peaceful and free of suffering as possible.

Sorry to hear about your friend. We all get sidetracked and the unexpected challenges of friends and family are a wake up call to not lose sight of the important things in life.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

This is a timely reminder for me as I go about my divorce and starting my new life.

Sorry to read about your friend. As a clinician, I have seen patients die, especially in third world countries. One never really gets used to it.
Today I learned that someone I know has taken a turn for the worse. Things were not all that great but in the past few months they really have gone down hill.

It is challenging enough to deal with death being a part of the natural progression of "life", but it seems easier to deal with death from "old age" than a life cut short at a young age...

Sorry to hear that your friend is not doing well, Verumchuka. Learning of such a bad turn in a friend's health is so hard for any of us to handle. :(

For some reason, since I turned 60 I have been more and more inclined to "smell the roses" and appreciate every moment of life. Often I read news stories about people younger than me who died of natural causes. I want to live forever, but fear dying and know that someday that must be my fate as it is for everyone.

Life is so dear, and so short.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. Putting things back into perspective is one of the few upsides...

I also have had several friends and relatives, some younger than me, either die or sufer a life altering illness. This has all happened in the past few years. It is an incentive to go forward with retirement.

A game developer's response to the 5 top regrets of the dying

When game designer Jane McGonigal found herself bedridden and suicidal following a severe concussion, she had a fascinating idea for how to get better. She dove into the scientific research and created the healing game, SuperBetter. In this moving talk, McGonigal explains how a game can boost resilience -- and promises to add 7.5 minutes to your life.

Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you 10 extra years of life | Video on TED.com

omni

PS: Hmmmm...if we get 10 more years, do we need to rerun FIRECalc? :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom