Question for frequent Amazon shoppers

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I use Amazon frequently, but the last two times I've tried to order something, they were items that didn't cost very much. For example, today, I tried to order a hamburger flipper for my grill, and I couldn't find the checkout button.

Then I remembered this happened last week when I tried to order something else, and the item was tagged as an "Add On" item. Is this a new Amazon ploy to get us to batch our orders, to reduce their shipping costs for those of us who ponied up money to be "Prime" members?

Some items are add-on only that you can't order by themselves, but must be added to an order of non-add-on items. It's not most items, just a few of the less expensive ones.

You could consider it a "ploy", or you could assume it's a way to get the item cheaper.

This has been around for a few years.

Yes, Audrey is exactly correct.

I usually bookmark such items, and then order it when I am ordering other stuff later on.

Every time I order something, I look to see if there is an add-on that I bookmarked and that I can now add to the order.

I don't remember if you can order the add-on by itself if you add some exorbitant shipping price, or not. I would never do that anyway.

I once bought a box of white tea alone, but the next time it was "add on".

Add-on items must be purchased with an order of $25 or more. That is why its not showing in the cart, but if you scroll down will display in the add-on field. Note if you try to checkout and the cart is less than $25 full, the add-on just drops out of the cart. Your friendly application support analyst lol.

Thanks, folks. I never ran across this before.

I love the add-ons. They are usually something I can use, like coin batteries, rather than the usual junk that gets "suggested" at the bottom of the order page.

You could even just leave the add on in your cart, so that you don't have to remember it when you order something else later.

I think add on stuff is for some things that are so lightweight that Amazon doesn't wish to sell alone. That way, when bought with something else the add on gets included to save them shipping costs. I think as of today, you have to buy at least $25 worth of stuff to have add on things as part of the order.

I sometimes find that if I run into an Add-On Item, I can find the same item from another seller at the same or even lower price, but still with Prime shipping.

Yup there's a whole "Small and Light" program for amazon sellers to have stuff qualify for prime, but only by doing it this way can they make it affordable. (Remember a LOT of what you buy on amazon is really from one of thousands of small 3rd party sellers, even prime stuff).

Prime fees are so high to sellers, that for items under $8 they'd probably lose money. Small and light - Add ons - come with reduced fees so that amazon can get and offer those items.

Some Amazon "add-on" items may be priced lower in local bricks and mortar stores.

Back
Top Bottom