Questions concerning moving

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Do I have to change phone numbers?
Can I keep most stuff at CU?
Who am I required to notify?

I've been here for ~35 years.

You do not need to change your cellphone number, but if you are moving out of the local area you will need to change your land line number.

CU = Credit Union ? Do you do most of your banking in person ? if so then you may need to move things depending upon the local branch / ATM network. If there are no local branches then you'll need to decide if you are comfortable doing everything online and maybe using a local Bank branch for "daily" transactions.

I can't remember if you own or rent but you need to notify:
  • Electric company in both locations (although I believe you are moving in with someone your know, in which case you don't need to notify the "to" location)
  • Phone company
  • Gas company
  • Lawn service
  • Reclaimed water service
  • Water company
  • Trash company
  • Home owners / renters insurance company
  • Water softener service
  • Pool service
I would go through my monthly / quarterly / annual bills and see who else I've paid for services that I wont need when I move. If you need them in the new location contact their counterparts and set up new service there.

Moving can be fun and it can be stressful. I wish you all the best with this !

You can keep your cell phone number if you have one, but your home phone number will have to change.

Once you make it to Florida, you'll have to get a Florida driver's license and register your car there (states usually give you a set amount of time after you move to do this, check with the FL DMV).

Notify USPS of the move if you want to have your mail forwarded for the first year.

Notify any service provider of the date of your move (utilities, phone company, etc...). Return any modem or set top box.

Notify any financial institution you do business with of your new address (including credit card companies). You can keep your account at your CU, but if it's local or regional you may want to move your money to a CU closer to your new home.

Last edited:
We didn't change phone numbers. Because we only moved about 1/2 hour away we decided that we wanted to keep the phone number that we had had for over 25 years and so many friends and relatives have, so we had our number ported to Ooma (Voip service). Cheaper than a land line and we got to keep our number. The only minor confusion it causes is that some of our local friends dial an exchange that is not in our town when they want to call us.

We stayed with the same CU but added an account at a local bank and occasionally transfer funds to the local bank from our CU and use the local bank's ATM for cash.

You'll need to notify just about anyone you do business with of your change of address, as well as the DMV, etc. There's got to be a checklist out there somewhere.

When I moved 20 months ago I filed a change of address with the post office and any businesses that would need to contact me as well as SS and Federal retirement offices. I kept my local bank and use a debit card for purchases where a check is not acceptable. I also set up most of the monthly utility bills to auto pay. I check my bank account online on a regular basis. So far no problems. The reason for keeping my local bank account is my SS, Federal pension and other income are auto deposit and I didn't want to take the chance of messing that up. My cell phone number did not change but my land line did.

The previous post saying to go through bills to make sure everyone is notified is spot on.

Last edited:
You do not need to change your cellphone number, but if you are moving out of the local area you will need to change your land line number.

CU = Credit Union ? Do you do most of your banking in person ? if so then you may need to move things depending upon the local branch / ATM network. If there are no local branches then you'll need to decide if you are comfortable doing everything online and maybe using a local Bank branch for "daily" transactions.

I can't remember if you own or rent but you need to notify:
  • Electric company in both locations (although I believe you are moving in with someone your know, in which case you don't need to notify the "to" location)
  • Phone company
  • Gas company
  • Lawn service
  • Reclaimed water service
  • Water company
  • Trash company
  • Home owners / renters insurance company
  • Water softener service
  • Pool service
I would go through my monthly / quarterly / annual bills and see who else I've paid for services that I wont need when I move. If you need them in the new location contact their counterparts and set up new service there.

Moving can be fun and it can be stressful. I wish you all the best with this !

Also, your:
>>cell phone company needs your new address (even if you are keeping your cell number) for their billing records. BTW, sometimes cell phone plans and or rates are different in different dates, as well.
>>cable TV provider,
>>internet provider,
>>car and health insurance,
>>bank,
>>credit union,
>>pension provider,
>>social security,
>> any investment-type places (like Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.)
>>local and State of Ohio income tax (This may be after you have moved and they attempt to collect from you for the entire year. Have proof of when you physically relocated to Florida (utility bill or bank account with new address or something similar) to get them off your back.)

You will want to inform your doctors (medical and vision) and dentist of your moving plans. They can provide you with copies of your files to deliver to your new medical providers. Make sure to transfer any prescriptions that you are taking on an ongoing basis to a Florida provider.

I know you have been a long-time blood donor. You may want to have the local Red Cross forward your donation record to Florida as well.

Once in Florida, you will likely need to revisit things like your Will, trust, and medical directives to ensure that they are still valid.

After you have moved, and are receiving your forwarded mail, that is a good time to review for any other entities that you would like notified or not (like perhaps your college alumni assoc., any other social organizations to which you belong, etc.)

It might sound strange, but I'd suggest packing your local phone books (white and yellow pages) and taking them to Florida. They might come in handy as you are getting settled in and trying to wrap-up your life in Ohio. Much info is available online, but sometimes I've found the paper phone books handy when out of town.

Wishing you a smooth move, Khan. :flowers:

omni

You'll also need to let your credit card providers know your new address.

omni

I am not sure about the US Postal Service but they probably have a mail forwarding service. When I moved 2 years ago (in Canada) I signed on for one year of forwarded mail. That ensured that the stragglers, some of which would be annual bills, came to my attention, so that when I came across mail addressed to my old address, I could notify them.......provided that I wanted to! It's a good way to get your name off some junk mailing lists.

Do I have to change phone numbers?
Can I keep most stuff at CU?
Who am I required to notify?

I've been here for ~35 years.

If your Credit Union participates in Shared Branching CUServiceCenter.com you can do most banking functions at any participating Credit Union. You may find it more convenient to migrate to a local Credit Union once you're settled in though.

If you are moving to another state, you might consider a chat with the state income tax authority to make sure you do everything needed to make a clean break. You don't want two states grappling to tax you, hehe.

... if you are moving out of the local area you will need to change your land line number.

There is an alternative.

Set up a VOIP phone account. Port your land-line to the VOIP account. VOIP can be anywhere there is internet with the same number.

-ERD50

Great suggestions by previous posters.

If you google "moving checklist" you will find all kinds of lists of how to prepare for a move, including whom to notify and how far in advance to do so. Many of the lists are created by moving companies; I just take the info/suggestions I need from their lists and ignore the sales pitches. Some of the checklists are very helpful and can be printed out in a useful format. I don't know how to put a link in a post, or I would do so.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom