RCL Cruise Experience

We have always been afraid to "build your own" port adventures for fear of something happening (vehicle breaking down) and missing the cruise ship. They stress how they will not wait for you if something happens, unless you book the excursion through the cruise line. I would not know where to start, if I missed the ship. We book it through the cruise line for peace of mind. I keep reading where people do have much nicer excursions for a cheaper price and I get angry at myself for not doing it also. I am a frugal person and don't like to feel that I am being taken advantage of due to fear.

At least in Alaska it is not a big deal. You walk / taxi to the local airport and fly to the ship's next port for about $150. There are quite a few flights each day between Skagway / Juneau / Ketchikan / Seattle. I got to see the Alaska coast from Skagway to Juneau from about 3000' 2 years ago on my ferry tour after a mechanical breakdown cancelled one of the legs.

We have always been afraid to "build your own" port adventures for fear of something happening (vehicle breaking down) and missing the cruise ship. They stress how they will not wait for you if something happens, unless you book the excursion through the cruise line. I would not know where to start, if I missed the ship. We book it through the cruise line for peace of mind. I keep reading where people do have much nicer excursions for a cheaper price and I get angry at myself for not doing it also. I am a frugal person and don't like to feel that I am being taken advantage of due to fear.
Ditto on using only cruise sponsored excursions. The competition for these contracts is fierce, so I have confidence I am getting one of the better tour companies versus god-knows-who-or-what is headed my way.
My reasons for going the lazy route include not knowing the local language and/or currency, not knowing how to get direct transportation, the idea of being targeted as a rich American, yadda yadda. Too much hassle for this kid. ;)
Hey, I'm on vacation and I don't want to think. Plus seeing that cruise ship still at dock at the end of a long day ashore is such a nice feeling. :flowers:

Ditto on using only cruise sponsored excursions. The competition for these contracts is fierce, so I have confidence I am getting one of the better tour companies versus god-knows-who-or-what is headed my way.
My reasons for going the lazy route include not knowing the local language and/or currency, not knowing how to get direct transportation, the idea of being targeted as a rich American, yadda yadda. Too much hassle for this kid. ;)
Hey, I'm on vacation and I don't want to think. Plus seeing that cruise ship still at dock at the end of a long day ashore is such a nice feeling. :flowers:

The cruise lines make much of their profits from those like you who don't want to think for themselves.

I take exception that the best excursions are thru the cruise line. I dislike spending half my shore time waiting for "Mildred" or "Bernice" or "Fred" to get back on the bus. I don't like going to the ships picked shops (where they get at least 30% of the profits back). And most of all I hate driving by some place I would really like to experience because it isn't on the group itinarary. The best excursions are the ones planned in advance by me. They always go where I want to go.

The cruise lines really do a great job scaring you about them leaving you at the dock. Yes, they will, but that is a chance I will take to save money and time on every excursion. So far out of 50+ cruises I haven't been left at the dock, nor have I had even a close call.

I don't go to the port lecture either. What a bunch of useless info. They spend an hour of my time to tell me where to boost their profit.

Back
Top Bottom