Recommended paddle for pickleball?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just took my first lesson and loved it! Looking to buy a nice lightweight paddle. Of course I have read some online reviews but wonder what the ER pickleball enthusiasts recommend?

Welcome to this wonderful sport. How much are you willing to spend? The most expensive paddles go for $200.
If that price works, I use the Selkirk Vanguard S2. This paddle has excellent control to it and a short handle. Kind of a larger ping pong paddle. The sweet spot is also large, which makes for more forgiveness, when you don't hit it on center. It comes in a lightweight paddle, as well as middleweight.
If your background is from tennis, then there are Selkirk paddles with a longer handle, where you can employ a 2 handed backhand.
If you want more power, but can be less control, the Gearbox paddles are very popular.
For a decent paddle if you envision yourself playing regularly, will probably run at least $90.

To improve your play, you want to play in general from the non volley (kitchen) line. Many beginners stay back coz they might be concerned about being hit and/or it appears easier to hit regular tennis style shots.

The most important shot to master is the 3rd shot drop. Your instructor can assist you.

Let us know of your progress. It is a really good sport for cardio, social aspects, strategy and is played at many different levels for fun/competition.

I have been playing for 3 years and addicted for 2 1/2. I just had the “what paddle should I get” conversation with a friend just getting into pickleball so I’ll give my two cents.

First paddles aren’t magic. Very good players can beat you with inferior equipment - for example there is a video of Ben Johns (one of the top pros) playing with someone using flipflops.

Second, paddle choice are very personal. What works great for one person is horrible for another. I recently had to borrow a paddle to help warm up a friend for a tournament. It was a very popular and expensive paddle. I was shocked to find that a absolutely hated how it felt in my hand and played. I’ve had players try my paddle and have a similar adverse reaction.

In my mind there are three factors (other than price, company reputation, and aesthetics) when choosing a paddle.

1) The handle. There are grip sizes and lengths but or me the bigger issue is grip shape. I hate the rectangular shape many brands have preferring the more tennis style octagonal shape. This isn’t right or wrong just personal preference. Grip size is often an option companies offer or you can use overgrips to increase (or with more work decrease grips).

2) the weight - it is best to play with a few paddles to find the weight that feels the best for you. What I find is that it isn’t just the weight but the distribution of the weight that is an important subjective preference item. Some paddles weight the head more and others more evenly and it does affect how it feels when you swing.

3) the play - how a paddle is constructed can dramatically change how a paddle feels when you hit the ball. Again no correct or wrong - just different. Some have a very solid feel, others more “cushioned”. You can often hear the difference when you hit the ball.

My recommendation is to borrow paddles from others you play with a try them for a bit (or use a demo program). I can often tell after 5 minutes whether I like a paddle or not. I expect if you play for a while you might change what you like - I know I have. My original paddle is extremely popular. As a athletic male, I choose one with a big grip and a heavy weight but a softer playing paddle (didn’t know that at a time). After about a year I tried a different paddle @ a camp and just loved the way it felt in my hand and played so switched. It had a MUCH smaller handle and a much poppier play. A year later I switched again to a new version that what much lighter and I love that paddle though still try others that come out to see if there is something that feels better.

Sorry this is so long but the short answer is that paddle choice is very personal but also it isnt likely that a paddle is going to be a gating factor for enjoying the game. Have fun.

+1 to what jabahop said. Try a bunch of paddles to see what you like, and don’t buy into the hype. Last year when I was shopping for a new paddle I tried the “hot new release” that everyone was talking about…and didn’t like it at all.

DH and I play with paddles that cost about $80. I’m sure that the reason we can’t move up a level has more to do with deficiencies in skill and physical fitness than using the wrong paddle.

Thanks everyone for the advice! A friend had given us wooden “starter” paddles and we need to get rid of those ASAP. They weigh a lot and after playing for a while, it hurts both of our wrists.

We decided to try these as our next paddles. They aren’t super high end, but get good reviews. We didn’t want to invest in the higher end paddles until we make sure we like the sport and intend to continue playing regularly.

https://www.pickleballcentral.com/VERSIX_Strike_4F_Composite_Pickleball_Paddle_p/pbc705.htm

It seems really fun so far and shockingly, playing hasn’t bothered my hip injury yet. Right now I’m mainly doing drills (serving, dinking) and simple volleying, so when we get into more competitive playing, that may tax my hip differently. But so far, so good and we are having a lot of fun.

Thanks everyone for the advice! A friend had given us wooden “starter” paddles and we need to get rid of those ASAP. They weigh a lot and after playing for a while, it hurts both of our wrists.

We decided to try these as our next paddles. They aren’t super high end, but get good reviews. We didn’t want to invest in the higher end paddles until we make sure we like the sport and intend to continue playing regularly.

https://www.pickleballcentral.com/VERSIX_Strike_4F_Composite_Pickleball_Paddle_p/pbc705.htm

It seems really fun so far and shockingly, playing hasn’t bothered my hip injury yet. Right now I’m mainly doing drills (serving, dinking) and simple volleying, so when we get into more competitive playing, that may tax my hip differently. But so far, so good and we are having a lot of fun.

Have not heard of this paddle, but appears to be a good investment for the next beginning steps.
I have had hip issues from time to time and find that there is actually less pain when I play more Pickleball. Kind of the same concept as exercising one's arthritis.

Have not heard of this paddle, but appears to be a good investment for the next beginning steps.

I have had hip issues from time to time and find that there is actually less pain when I play more Pickleball. Kind of the same concept as exercising one's arthritis.

Good to know! Thanks for the advice on paddles. If we keep playing, we can upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom