Reserved a Cybertruck

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For Christmas I was wanting to get another truck so I looked at a few . I never buy new but this time I want something mine.
Looked at Ford F150s . Close to 1million new F trucks sold in 2019 must be good . ( They are ) but the Ford dealers around here treat you like meth addict and do nothing on lowering prices . 30,000 for a work F150 Looked at an F 250 65000.00 wow who buys these I see them everywhere.
So I thought I would consider a Nissan Frontier ...the cheapest truck on the market . I could buy a crew cab for 22K . But seemed as a cheap built truck .
So I visited The Woodlands Tesla dealer with my son . I liked the form fit function on the sedans and the X . I spend a boatload on gas so we ran the calc. I spend 250.00 mo. on gasoline and with the Cyber truck my electric bill will go up 60 dollars a month . We have cheap electric in Texas ! So we went home and ordered a CT on the NET I am number 445,219 so it will be a loooooog time . But the dealer said they expect up to 40% to decline their trucks when they come available. Keep driving the Ridge 186000 miles for right now . Waiting for my CT

I think the looks will grow on people and the dent resistant body and glass will make them very useful to people who really need a truck and not a something to just run the local mall.

I am getting the business from all my friends , I like the looks . When I was at the Ford dealer the salesman told me " this is Texas we don't buy EV here and laughed at me " But the funny thing is the #2 state for CT reservations is Texas. The Ford dealer told me we would never see an EV Mustang at their dealership. Hope this works out , lots of money for a vehicle.

Tesla is fascinating, and no one has driven EV tech like them, the auto establishment never would have. I don’t need a truck, but the Model Y is the most appealing model to me so far. If I’m not careful, I may talk myself into putting down a deposit, but not so far.

Good luck with your Cybertruck, I can see the appeal. Nice to see someone do something a little different with a pickup.

Every time I watch the buy a car or truck for Christmas commercial (and there are lots of them) I ask myself, "Who would actually buy one as a Christmas present"? Now I know at least one person who would:dance:

The auto establishment will try to push you away from EV's for several reasons. When I went into Nissan and Chevrolet dealers to discuss and test drive the Leafs and Bolts, the staff knew about a tenth of what I knew about the vehicles. The old guard that knows ICE cars so well don't like seeing their product replaced by a technology they know nothing about. Look at the resistance from some on this forum (in other threads).

I checked my electric bill which came 2 days ago. $26.15, and thats the entire household + 1 Tesla. My other Tesla I charge only at the superchargers as it qualifies for free electricity.

The auto establishment will try to push you away from EV's for several reasons. When I went into Nissan and Chevrolet dealers to discuss and test drive the Leafs and Bolts, the staff knew about a tenth of what I knew about the vehicles. The old guard that knows ICE cars so well don't like seeing their product replaced by a technology they know nothing about. Look at the resistance from some on this forum (in other threads).

I checked my electric bill which came 2 days ago. $26.15, and thats the entire household + 1 Tesla. My other Tesla I charge only at the superchargers as it qualifies for free electricity.
True but it goes beyond not knowing much about EV technology. As I understand it most dealers are profitable because of service much more than sales. With EV's, their service departments are going to crater, and they'll have to completely retrain techs too. It could sink some dealers...
  • The typical new car sold loses a dealership about $200.
  • The average retail net profit in 2016 from selling a used car was $65.
  • The best possible trade-in scenario for the dealership would be to offer a customer the “low wholesale” number for a trade and then sell a new car to the same customer for the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). The dealership could then put the trade-in on the lot and ask the “retail” price. The dealer would make good money on the trade and the sale of the new car. Those days are long gone. CarGurus can tell you what your trade is worth in a couple of clicks, and a quick search will allow you to compare prices for the same car at multiple dealerships and from private owners. Thanks to this level of transparency, only buyers who don’t do their homework to learn what their car is actually worth, and are put off by haggling, stand to help dealers make significant money on trades.
  • Dealers may take cars to auctions that have been on the lot too long or are too expensive to fix. Dealers may buy cars at auctions if they have room in their inventory for certain quick-selling models. Pure capitalism, risk and reward: Auctions are not for amateurs, and even savvy car dealers can make costly mistakes. These are yet another risky-at-best potential profit center.
  • If you’re buying a new or used car, you will spend time with the Finance and Insurance salesperson. Along with loaning you the money to buy your car, they want to sell you an extended warranty, gap insurance, undercoating, fabric protection, and anything else you can think of. Why? Because we’ve finally found a winner for the dealer. According to NADA, net profits are pegged at 2.8% of the sales price of new car sales. For used vehicles, it’s even better, clocking in at 3.7%. Turns out selling money and peace of mind are more profitable than slinging rubber and steel.
  • Parts & Service. By combining warranty work with non-warranty service work, rolling in the profit from parts, and the work that’s coming out of the body shop, you’ll find the big profit leader for the dealership. The dirty work in the back of the building generates a 15.6% net profit rate. Most of that comes from mechanical repairs. Dealers also sell wholesale parts to independent garages, and some will sell retail parts over the counter to people just like you.
  • So the next time you visit or drive by a dealership with all that shiny metal parked around it, remember that all of that is just for show. The stuff going on out back is what actually makes the dough.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/articles/show_me_the_money_how_do_car_dealerships_make_their_profit

Last edited:
Car dealerships have been making their profits on financing as well as repairs for a long time. Profits from sales are not how they stay in business.

Car dealerships have been making their profits on financing as well as repairs for a long time. Profits from sales are not how they stay in business.

Don't forget the profit on the extras:

1. "extended warranty" - 3 times the cost you could purchase independently and you don't need it until the factory warranty runs its course.

2. Paint protection (as extra)...vehicle is already covered with clear coat on top of the color. Clear coat is two stage (base and hardener) urethane and is very rugged by itself.

3. Other baloney like VIN etched glass, stain protection on seats, wheel damage insurance, etc.

Last edited:
Obviously a vehicle for someone who doesn't need a truck, but wants a truck. I am one of those guys who buys used F250 with diesel motors to help around the farm. I haul my 32' camper, tow my car hauler, occasionally tow a backhoe, and haul multiple loads of firewood, and metal scrap....(not to mention several wagons of hay in the Summer, all things you will never see a CT doing.

I view Cyber Trucks as another statement about your beliefs rather like a Prius, or a Tesla....not a fan of any of them!

I can’t wait for a cyber truck. I haven’t reserved because my car purchase is ~5 years out (based on replacement timeline).

Cyber truck makes an awesome case for those who need a truck every now and then but drive with is empty 80% of the time (most people who don’t have more vehicles than drivers). I won’t have ridiculous gas bills and they battery will be very useful when camping.

I am getting the business from all my friends , I like the looks . When I was at the Ford dealer the salesman told me " this is Texas we don't buy EV here and laughed at me " But the funny thing is the #2 state for CT reservations is Texas. The Ford dealer told me we would never see an EV Mustang at their dealership. Hope this works out , lots of money for a vehicle.

This is exactly why Tesla couldn't work through dealerships. Ignorance, resistance to change, and it doesn't match their business model. Heck, the car manufacturers had the same problems. That's starting to change.

The Cybertruck should be a great work truck, powerful and damage/wear resistant. Not a lot of upkeep or maintenance. It tows over 14,000 lbs and carries over 3500 lbs. And 250 miles to over 500 miles EPA range on a charge.

And it should get plenty of attention with those looks. I'm not sure I like it, but maybe in person. Starting at $40k it is at least interesting.

When I went into Nissan and Chevrolet dealers to discuss and test drive the Leafs and Bolts, the staff knew about a tenth of what I knew about the vehicles. The old guard that knows ICE cars so well don't like seeing their product replaced by a technology they know nothing about. Look at the resistance from some on this forum (in other threads).
I don't think it's ICE vs EV, I think it's that car salesmen have very little knowledge of technology. I've gone in to discuss the tech features of a few different cars and I always know way more than they do.

It kind of makes sense. If they really were tech savvy would be they be working as car salesmen?

My friend has raved so much about his model S, I put a deposit on a cyber truck. Just for the fun of it. He says there is almost no routine maintenance required, so I can see how dealers would not be happy with that.

Our Tesla 3 is twelve days old, and I'm already thinking about adding a cybertruck.

A car that doesn't dent easily--what a concept!

That to me is a concern though: Crumple zone and accident repairs. If you do get into an accident with a small car, probably destroy them but how do you repair dents on that material. If you get into an accident with a similar weight vehicle (4500-7000lbs) how is the impact adsorption?

I don’t get the discussion on you have to use it for work so often - why does nobody say if you have a sports car you have to race it so often? Seems like ego issues.

I was interested in the model Y but it doesn’t look rugged enough to deal with the potholes in my major city [emoji23]

If you get into an accident with a similar weight vehicle (4500-7000lbs) how is the impact adsorption?[emoji23]

One thing about the Teslas, with batteries below you, and there's no big engine in front of you, so there's no big heavy engine that will intrude into the passenger compartment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
When I went into Nissan and Chevrolet dealers to discuss and test drive the Leafs and Bolts, the staff knew about a tenth of what I knew about the vehicles. The old guard that knows ICE cars so well don't like seeing their product replaced by a technology they know nothing about. Look at the resistance from some on this forum (in other threads).
I don't think it's ICE vs EV, I think it's that car salesmen have very little knowledge of technology. I've gone in to discuss the tech features of a few different cars and I always know way more than they do.

It kind of makes sense. If they really were tech savvy would be they be working as car salesmen?

Agreed, you saved me some typing! :) Sales people don't understand ICE or EV. I doubt many customers ask about the ICE technology. Have you ever heard this at your local car dealer? : "Hey, what bore x stroke ratio are they using? How much does the intercooler contribute to horsepower, what's the effect on turbo lag? At what RPM/load does the variable valve timing kick in?" etc. They are more likely to ask about heated seats, Bluetooth, USB ports, etc - all common to an EV.

As far as repair/service $, it doesn't seem like the dealers were successful at fighting the oil minders which have taken many people from 3,000 miles oil changes to 10,000. Or 100,000 mile spark plugs, lifetime coolant and trans oil, etc. Yet, they are still in business. I think they will adapt to EVs, which still need tire rotations, accessory battery changes, coolant changes, cabin filter replacements, etc.

-ERD50

I just measured my garage and it is the same 232"length as the CT. Could be a parking challenge. I hope Tesla offers a slightly shorter version. Of course, DW says we can sell the house and move into something larger to accommodate the beast. That seems a bit extreme at this point.

Next house I want a 3 car oversized garage since 1 slot gets taken up with workshop/storage. If I can hold out and drive my car to 12-13 years over the originally planned 10 those purchases can line up.

In the current house, I bet it wouldn’t leave enough walking space in front to access the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom