Restaurants in Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is an article by the owner of one of the better restaurants in my state. He explains the issues that have made him decide there will be no table service until he can fully open up his restaurant. IOW, after there is a vaccine.

https://seattle.eater.com/2020/7/28...-holly-smith-not-reopening-dining-in-covid-19

In the past, my servers have spent two to three hours with every table over the course of a meal, whether that’s a tasting menu or multiple courses. If cough droplets go as far as nine to 13 feet, those aerosols would travel around multiple tables, including our server stations. And our layout is not unique. With the asymptomatic transmission and politicizing of responsible best practices, the staff has no way to feel safe or in control of their well-being.

On the economics side, there are other peripheral issues in a business with highly perishable items served in intimate contact with consumers. And that includes insurance. Shortly after SARS, in 2002 to 2003, there were huge payouts, including one for $16 million to one hotel chain.

Not again. After SARS, insurance companies added exclusions to standard commercial policies for bacteria and viruses. The realization that I had no insurance coverage for such contingencies felt as surreal as the pandemic itself. I knew the exclusion existed — it was out of my control, but that didn’t matter until it did.

Let me lay out what this means in my world. I have insurance to protect myself, my business, and my staff. Heck, it even covers you when you’re in my space. It is universal, a part of our social contract that I will take care of my universe, and you as well. It is what I pay for, and it makes the risks we take — opening the doors to the public — a bit less risky.

Insurance is helpful for me in two ways when closure occurs. I have business interruption and spoilage insurance; one covers a loss for shutting the doors and the other pays for all the lost food already purchased. But, because of those aforementioned exclusions, neither applies due to COVID-19. Trust me, I tried. We were closed by the governor’s mandate, but there was no recourse to recoup losses. My insurance was a no-show. There was no coverage for the food in the walk-in for a busy weekend, or for the months of reservations I had to cancel.

Came across this recent report that tracked dining out habits in the U.S. during the rise of COVID-19, showing the most popular restaurants by state and overall:

https://topagency.com/report/top-data-casual-dining-report/

Key findings - From the report:
- Since COVID-19 gripped the nation’s conscience in March and April, fast food has consistently outperformed traditional sit down restaurants in terms of customer visits.
- On Average, casual dining has seen 58% less traffic since the start of the pandemic, whereas fast food restaurants have only experienced a 30% decrease.
- By and large, casual dining staples Applebees, Chilis, and Olive Garden and chain steakhouses like Texas Roadhouse are dominating America’s return to well-known sit down restaurants.
-The two most popular casual dining restaurants in our COVID-dominated world (Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse) are universally known for their everlasting supply of free bread!

I had never head of "dark kitchen model" so I Googled..not sure I completely understand but I want to learn more. Could you give some examples?
The dark kitchen is a restaurant that has no dining area but only does pickup and delivery. (Set up in conjunction with a delivery service) Traveled thru Plainview Texas and there was a place called Casseroles to go for example. This model eliminates the front of the house completely, in one sense sort of the business model dominos uses. Just a pick counter and delivery. It is a step where the food just needs heating/reheating, sort of a more finished meal delivery service, just pop in the oven/microwave as the case might be.

Came across this recent report that tracked dining out habits in the U.S. during the rise of COVID-19, showing the most popular restaurants by state and overall:

https://topagency.com/report/top-data-casual-dining-report/

Key findings - From the report:

Not surprised.
Fast food places appear to be even busier by me and there were always more chains than other type restaurants.
Unfortunately, a frozen yogurt place we loved closed down.

Before the NC gov. put the hammer down on mask wearing, fast food were consistently the only restaurants requiring staff to wear masks and at least attempt to think about the virus.

Even now, a lot of independents have staff on the line not wearing masks. I've witnessed it in places the line is visible. What about the workers? Remind me why Covid is spreading among the lower wage working population?

Yes. Sometimes we eat outdoors, sometimes indoors (places are nearly empty) and not often anymore but carry out some. The numbers I find for NC/Orange County look relatively low, but we’re all entitled to our own definition of “rampant.”
My regular pub says they are slammed on Friday and Saturday nights. I get carryout sometimes but dine in when I know there won't be many people there (dinner early in the week; lunchtime on a Saturday or Sunday). One time, I had the entire bar area to myself--not just the bar, but the entire room with dozens of tables.

Since the college students have arrived back in town some restaurants in my town have gotten very busy--mainly the pizza and hamburger joints. (Bars are closed) All the other town residents are avoiding the places where the college kids go "like the plague." Classes have only been in session since Monday and there have already been 3 dorms with outbreaks of the virus (with more than 5 cases in each dorm).

Since the college students have arrived back in town some restaurants in my town have gotten very busy--mainly the pizza and hamburger joints. (Bars are closed) All the other town residents are avoiding the places where the college kids go "like the plague." Classes have only been in session since Monday and there have already been 3 dorms with outbreaks of the virus (with more than 5 cases in each dorm).

We're going to see a bump from our downward trend in NC. Too many outbreaks in the colleges. Already.

Residence halls and fraternities have major clusters. Who would have thought that could happen? /sarcasm

I'm staying away from all areas near NC State, UNC or Duke. Seriously. The worst norovirus I ever got was when I made the mistake of eating at a lunch establishment next to one of the local hospitals. The place was full of scrubs. 36 hours later: BAM!

I don't eat in or do takeout from restaurants near hospitals anymore.

Last edited:
We're going to see a bump from our downward trend in NC. Too many outbreaks in the colleges. Already.

Residence halls and fraternities have major clusters. Who would have thought that could happen? /sarcasm

I'm staying away from all areas near NC State, UNC or Duke. Seriously. The worst norovirus I ever got was when I made the mistake of eating at a lunch establishment next to one of the local hospitals. The place was full of scrubs. 36 hours later: BAM!

I don't eat in or do takeout from restaurants near hospitals anymore.

I am staying at my mountain cabin away from Chapel Hill where UNC is until I see what happens with campuses opening. Not looking good at all now, 4 cluster outbreaks (3 dorms and 1 fraternity). I am hearing that students are partying off campus.

I am staying at my mountain cabin away from Chapel Hill where UNC is until I see what happens with campuses opening. Not looking good at all now, 4 cluster outbreaks (3 dorms and 1 fraternity). I am hearing that students are partying off campus.
Of course because fall is the time for fraternity and sorority rush for freshmen, and these parties are all well lubricated.

Of course because fall is the time for fraternity and sorority rush for freshmen, and these parties are all well lubricated.

The rush parties are all suppose to be virtual. Chi Omega sorority has already violated this rule and is now on "double secret probation" (reference movie Animal House).

UNC Chapel Hill has high scholastic requirements for admission--only a small percentage are admitted every year. But obviously having a lot of intellect does not mean the kids have any maturity or judgement as evidenced by the parties during a pandemic.

The rush parties are all suppose to be virtual. Chi Omega sorority has already violated this rule and is now on "double secret probation" (reference movie Animal House).

UNC Chapel Hill has high scholastic requirements for admission--only a small percentage are admitted every year. But obviously having a lot of intellect does not mean the kids have any maturity or judgement as evidenced by the parties during a pandemic.

Well, I had poor maturity and judgement at that age. I admit it. Hormones run high. You are invincible. All that stuff.

It is just what kids will do. There's a reason that car rental agencies treat under 25 clients specially... as in no rental or special premiums.

Well, I had poor maturity and judgement at that age. I admit it. Hormones run high. You are invincible. All that stuff.

It is just what kids will do. There's a reason that car rental agencies treat under 25 clients specially... as in no rental or special premiums.
I don’t think most “kids” have a lot of “maturity or judgement” at that age regardless of “intellect,” I certainly didn’t either if we’re being honest. I doubt most college kids do now, any more than prior generations...

Yup. I majored in smoking, drinking and illegal drug use.

I did manage an electrical engineering degree when I wasn't partying - :)

I don’t think most “kids” have a lot of “maturity or judgement” at that age regardless of “intellect,” I certainly didn’t either if we’re being honest. I doubt most college kids do now, any more than prior generations...

So how can the colleges open safely? Should it all be online?

+1 One source has suggested that people under 25 don't have the brain development to effectively resist peer pressure and 'problematic organizational norms'.

I have had my first sit-down restaurant dinner since February earlier this week. Outside, tables 6 feet apart, a warm gentle breeze diluting any virus that might be in the air, with good mature people just returned from several weeks of hanging out in a remote cabin in the mountains. The restaurant had a few 20-40 years olds (the current high infection group) but not many, and they were behaving responsibly.

Still, that is probably the last restaurant meal for quite a while. No point in pushing the odds. Our area doesn't have al-fresco dining weather for much more than another month or two. See you next June, Mr. Restaurant owner.

Last edited:
We went to the local country club for dinner last night. There were lots of masked staff and there were TVs showing the hockey. But there was only four tables in use (both indoor and outdoor). We tipped well but the staff must be starved for tips.

We have eaten lunch at restaurants, dining in, on 101 of the 108 days since restaurants were allowed to re-open for dining in.

Most of the other 7 days were take-out from the same restaurants.

We don't go to the gym any more.

I have only braved the grocery store once so far since March 9th when we got our first virus case in Louisiana.

We haven't flown, but then we really do not travel so that is easy.

We almost never go to any retail stores at all, although Frank went to an art supply store a week or two ago. I waited in the car.

But we have lunch inside a restaurant almost every single day. We are usually inside for less than 1/2 hour, and the restaurant takes all precautions seriously.

Just thought you all might be interested! Some will probably be shocked that we would risk eating out at all. Others may be shocked at what we don't do! But anyway we are OK with what we do and don't do. We have been fine and haven't even had a cold or anything else like that, all this time, thank goodness.

We have eaten lunch at restaurants, dining in, on 101 of the 108 days since restaurants were allowed to re-open for dining in.

Most of the other 7 days were take-out from the same restaurants.

We don't go to the gym any more.

I have only braved the grocery store once so far since March 9th when we got our first virus case in Louisiana.

We haven't flown, but then we really do not travel so that is easy.

We almost never go to any retail stores at all, although Frank went to an art supply store a week or two ago. I waited in the car.

But we have lunch inside a restaurant almost every single day. We are usually inside for less than 1/2 hour, and the restaurant takes all precautions seriously.

Just thought you all might be interested! Some will probably be shocked that we would risk eating out at all. Others may be shocked at what we don't do! But anyway we are OK with what we do and don't do. We have been fine and haven't even had a cold or anything else like that, all this time, thank goodness.

W2R, is it the same restaurant that you eat in everyday?

UNC Chapel Hill just announced all undergrad classes are going online starting Wednesday due to the 4 virus outbreaks in the dorms over the weekend and the 130 plus new cases. Most students have to vacate the dorms and will get refunds.

I had predicted UNC would make it 30 days but they only made it one week.

I am hearing most the colleges in NC will be doing the same.

Back on the topic of restaurants, many Chapel Hill restaurants were just hanging one by a thread and this will be the end of most of them--especially the ones that relied on college student business.

W2R, is it the same restaurant that you eat in everyday?

Yes, 98 of the 101 restaurant lunches were at the same restaurant (see below).

I forgot to say that we did go to the UPS store once, so that I could return some things to Amazon, and I have been to my doctor's office once. But, no post office, no clothing stores, no department stores, no dentist (yet!), no walmart, no home depot, nothing like that. Lots of time at home.

Attachments

• restaurant_small.jpg
    restaurant_small.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 164
We go to restaurant once or twice a week. We try to eat outside but have eaten in.

We ate outside last night (40th anniversary celebration) at a local seafood place (yeah, we are in MO, so not exactly fresh).

No one closer than 6 feet to us, quite enjoyable.

Food was very good. All waitstaff wore masks. Great happy hour menu and "early bird specials".

We will likely go back soon

FWIW, we like this place and bought a couple of gift certs when times were tough, to help them out.

Used one last night, Total, after cert was 2.62. Of course I tipped on the full amount. Waiting for CapOne email asking if I intended to leave a 600% tip:D

UNC Chapel Hill just announced all undergrad classes are going online starting Wednesday due to the 4 virus outbreaks in the dorms over the weekend and the 130 plus new cases. Most students have to vacate the dorms and will get refunds.

Looking at the NC state data it appears our nice downward slope has leveled off. I suspect these student clusters are part of the reason.

Opening the colleges simply isn't working.

Here's Orange county, home of UNC. Nice burst there. Bye-bye downward progress. As always, data obtained via this official public source, in this case using the county option:
https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/cases

Attachments

• orangecountyaug18.JPG
    orangecountyaug18.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 36
Looking at the NC state data it appears our nice downward slope has leveled off. I suspect these student clusters are part of the reason.

Opening the colleges simply isn't working.

Here's Orange county, home of UNC. Nice burst there. Bye-bye downward progress. As always, data obtained via this official public source, in this case using the county option:
https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/cases

Orange County is where I live--but I am staying in my cabin in the mountains where there are less cases. I predict most all other colleges will have to go to online classes like UNC did. This is going to destroy the economy of college towns like my town of Chapel Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom