Retire on 3k per month thoughts...

I could eat very cheaply on beans and rice and recipes using them. The problem is that my wife doesn't like beans. I suppose I could make something for myself, but beans and rice don't freeze all that well -- and if I made something only for myself, it would need to be something I could put into single-serving sized bags and freeze.

I make big batches of black beans and lima beans and freeze them with no issues. It makes putting together quick meals easy.

I make big batches of black beans and lima beans and freeze them with no issues. It makes putting together quick meals easy.

Martha,

Recipe, pleeze :D

tmm

I could eat very cheaply on beans and rice and recipes using them. The problem is that my wife doesn't like beans. I suppose I could make something for myself, but beans and rice don't freeze all that well -- and if I made something only for myself, it would need to be something I could put into single-serving sized bags and freeze.

I've never had a problem with beans and rice freezing well. For example, you can make up a huge batch of chili and freeze it in small containers. For rice, freeze it in 1 cup portions; it defrosts rather nicely, and I don't notice a huge difference in the quality/taste.

Don't be embarrassed I'll go first . My name is Moe and I spend over a thousand dollars a year on clothes . I'm addicted to looking nice. It started simply by just browsing JJill web site and next thing I knew I was hooked .I had to have that slightly funky yet urban look . I searched for cheaper versions but I kept on coming back . I was hooked and JJill had me . I wanted it all . The casual outfits , the co-ordinated separates , the fun dresses and the espardilles . I had to have the espadrille's . There was nothing I could do but come here and fess up I have a problem .

It's a nice problem to have. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good if it makes you feel good.

We spent about $2000 this year and more in previous years. We can afford it so we spent it.

I cannot see how one person spend $5 per month on clothes :confused:

On days I work I make a frozen pizza at about 2:30pm. I eat 6 pieces and put the other 2 in my lunch bag for work. At approx. 11pm I have "lunch" at work. I have my other 2 pieces of pizza along with a cup of easy mac. I also have a bag of doritos and a pack of nutty bars both of which I by in bulk at low prices. Sometimes i'll take a short snack break around 3am and have another pack of nutty bars. When I get home at 5:30am I have two packets of instant oatmeal, check my e-mail, then go to bed.
On my days off it varies a little more but I often have pizza then too. I have dinte mores beef stew and campbells chunk chicken with vegtable soup instead of easy mac and doritos. I'll often snack on cookies throughout the day. Sometimes i'll eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon as a snack(cheap and high protein).

As for fun, I don't do much. Surf the net, read, watch tv online. Once every couple months i'll go out to the clubs with friends. Once a month or two i'll go to movies with my brother. I usually prefer to be by myself just relaxing trying to rest to get ready for my next 12 hr shift of manual labor.

Arronc, you make me look like an Saudi prince on a debauchery tour through the land of the infidels. Disclaimer: no disrespect to anyone of Middle Eastern origin, but I do hear that the Saudi princes do live it up.

Except for the bit about eating beef stew, I think you could do a few months in Shaolin Temple without breaking a sweat, and that's a compliment.

Don't be embarrassed I'll go first . My name is Moe and I spend over a thousand dollars a year on clothes . I'm addicted to looking nice. It started simply by just browsing JJill web site and next thing I knew I was hooked .I had to have that slightly funky yet urban look . I searched for cheaper versions but I kept on coming back . I was hooked and JJill had me . I wanted it all . The casual outfits , the co-ordinated separates , the fun dresses and the espardilles . I had to have the espadrille's . There was nothing I could do but come here and fess up I have a problem .

The other way to look at it would be that you are a normal woman. :)

ha

3K a month between two is very little. for one person is good though

Participated in a wedding in Nov. on mainland and had to rent a Tux for $130. They gave me a "free" coupon worth $25 on in-store merchandise. Found one pair of shorts for $30 (so $5 my cost). This past summer I bought a dozen pair of "shorty" socks at the Aloha Bowl swap meet. Other than that, DW spent all the clothing allowance - probably about $300 total (not counting the Tux).

First semester of college, I lost 16 pounds and could have been one of those starving (pick the country) poster children. Not so much anymore, unfortunately.

Several of us have said it. We look back fondly on some of those days of deprivation. But, honestly, I wouldn't want to go back - except in my mind.

Now, I spend pretty much as much as I want on whatever I want. Thing is, I don't seem to want very much (note clothing allowance).

Up until a year ago I easily spent $3-3.5k a year on business suits/shirts/ties/shoes...its easy to spend 6-700 a pop for a full set of nice but not designer suits & shirts. I was finally able to convince a few old-line guys that we could have business casual in the summer when we weren't seeing customers. When winter came I just kept wearing the casual stuff. So far this year I've only bought one suit, and no shirts or ties...just been using the older ones. Add in some $19.99 Dockers from the outlet, a few polos, and I'm in for less than $1k this year. Embarassingly high by most of y'all's standards, but I'm still working a C-level j*b, so gotta look purty.

R

Martha,

Recipe, pleeze :D

tmm

Every month or two I just cook up a batch of beans and then freeze them in appropriate sized containers. I often make bean soup and it only takes a short time. Pull out a container of beans. Throw them in some water with chicken bullion and taco seasoning, throw in a can of diced tomatos or fresh tomatos, throw in some corn (I buy frozen and just use some of the bag), onion, cabbage and green pepper. Soup in 10 minutes. If you want it more substantial, cut up a potato and sweet potato and throw those in too. If you want non-vegetarian, throw in some chorizio. It is suprising how fast it is to make this soup. I sometimes make a fair amount and freeze a couple of containers for later. It seems to freeze OK.

I don't eat a lot of rice after eating rice all the time for years. You are right, rice doesn't freeze well. Sometimes I'll nuke some rice and throw in peas (again frozen) and saffron.

Thank you Martha for sharing your soup fixing tips!

tmm

One other note on freezing beans... a pressure cooker is your friend. I keep a gallon ziploc for each: red, pinto, black beans in the freezer. I rotate through each and cook as needed.

Simple pressure cooker recipe:
Soak dry beans overnight. Drain. Add to pressure cooker, cover with water, add bay leaves, bring up to pressure. Cook 5 minutes (or less -- for freezing, I like beans a bit 'to the teeth' )

Instant cool the pressure cooker then spread the beans on a large sheet pan... when cool, pop into gallon freezer bag and freeze flat. Idea is to keep the beans from freezing together/clumping. Makes it mucho simple to use a bit of beans any time. To use, bang the bag to break up the beans, shake desired amount into bowl, cover with hot water, drain (or nuke if you want 'em hot, as is).

As Martha said, soups are super easy with a bit of stock and whatever veg is in the fridge (a bit of cumin one day or Old Bay/crab boil another).

Our kids love the beans as a side, simply mixed with fresh store-bought salsa.

Or if you have leftover rice, dump thawed red/pinto/black beans (cold) into cold rice, add pinch of fresh cilantro (and scallions), cumin & pepper, add your favorite italian dressing, mix with a fork = yum. Easy rice salad/side dish.

Frozen beans are a staple around these parts.

- Stoop

Stoop,

I have only so far used split peas (to make split pea soup with), canned kidney beans for soup or salad and refried beans, but I am going to try the bean soaking you mentioned for freezing (cooking in a slow cooker instead of a pressure cooker though. I gave away my pressure cooker since it scared me too much!) I am gonna have to find meat and bean recipes for entrees so I won't have to cook something else with it.

I have been trying to add more fiber to my diet (Fiber One just doesn't cut it - gross stuff in my opinion), so eating beans should be a much tastier alternative. Besides they are so cheap that it will help me to get closer to the golden 3K/mo budget!

tmm

I am gonna have to find meat and bean recipes for entrees so I won't have to cook something else with it.

Bean and Meat Recipes (my favorite chili's):

White Chili - 4 Servings

239 calories per serving, without toppings

Ø ½ lb (~ 2 cups) cooked, cubed chicken
Ø ½ of an onion chopped up
Ø 2 cups chicken broth
Ø 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
Ø 1 can (15.5 oz) white kidney beans (cannelloni), undrained
Ø 16 black olives, sliced
Ø ½ cup corn
Ø 1 tsp garlic powder
Ø ½ tsp parsley
Ø 1 tsp ground cumin
Ø ½ tsp oregano
Ø ¼ tsp ground red pepper

1. Using non-stick spray, slightly brown the cooked, cubed chicken. Remove chicken.
2. Cook the onion, then add the broth, green chilies and spices. Simmer 30 minutes, covered.
3. Stir in cooked chicken, beans, olives, and corn. Serve after warmed.

Top with cilantro. Add lo-fat sour cream (2 tbsp = 40 cal) and shredded cheese (1/8 cup cheese = 50 cal) if desired to each bowl. (With toppings, 329 cal per serving)

(This is really good served over crushed tortilla chips, if you have the calories to spare.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
“Feed the Masses” Chili

This makes a HUGE amount. Great for a superbowl party, or freeze up in small portions for quick meals later.

3# lean ground beef
~ 3 tablespoons oil
3 tsp minced garlic
5 green peppers, chopped
2 tsp seasoned salt
6 cups chopped onion
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 tsp crushed red pepper
24 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tsp ground red pepper
4 tsp chili powder
2 – 29 oz cans tomato sauce
1 tsp black pepper
2 – 40 ½ oz cans light red kidney beans
1 tsp cumin
1 – 39 oz can hot chili beans
~ 1 ½ tsp salt (more or less to taste)
1 – 16 oz jar of hot salsa
2 – 5 ¾ oz cans olives (drained and sliced)
~ 5/8 cup of brown sugar (more or less to taste)

Sauté the vegetables in oil in a large soup pot. (Add the mushrooms last to avoid overcooking).
Meanwhile, in another pan, brown the ground beef. Then add all of the spices to the ground beef and cook through.
Add the ground beef mixture to the vegetables. Now add the remainder of the ingredients except the brown sugar.
Stir completely. Last, add brown sugar, (to taste) in small increments.

With the economy in the tank and cost of things going down..the 3K per month is very realistic now...

We could do it if health insurance was not out of pocket. Otherwise probably not. Then again Ive slept in a car and had about 5 dollars in my pocket before :LOL: Think Im getting to old for that trick though.

We could do it if health insurance was not out of pocket. .

Same here. But I've also noted that I could pay for health insurance myself and live on 3k/mo if someone else (govt?) would pay for my housing...... or food and clothing..... or travel and discretionary spending..... or...... ;)

Same here. But I've also noted that I could pay for health insurance myself and live on 3k/mo if someone else (govt?) would pay for my housing...... or food and clothing..... or travel and discretionary spending..... or...... ;)

Good points. No clue why I used health insurance an example. Probably since Ive been seeing something on it every damn waking minute for the last 6 months. :ROFLMAO:

We're a family of four and I've been tracking expenses for about 18 months. $3000/month is a cushy month for us. It usually runs around $2800 but we could cut back to about $2650 if we had to.

This includes health insurance from DH's employer which costs $78/pre-tax bi-weekly pay.

Didn't notice how old this topic is.

We could get by at our current standard of living for about $3000. If the mortgage was paid out it'd be more like $2000. This is in Canadian dollars and for a family of three.

We're a family of four and I've been tracking expenses for about 18 months. $3000/month is a cushy month for us. It usually runs around $2800 but we could cut back to about $2650 if we had to.

This includes health insurance from DH's employer which costs $78/pre-tax bi-weekly pay.

To get an accurate picture of your costs, you need to include your portion of your health insurance cost plus your husband's employer's portion of health insurance costs. Just because hubby's employer doesn't funnel those dollars through you, they're still spent to your benefit and count as dollars you are living on.

Then again Ive slept in a car and had about 5 dollars in my pocket before :LOL:

I also remember when I had only $5, and did not even have a car to sleep in. :(

I was 15, and had to sleep in my bedroom. :D

Seriously, if we downsize to only one home, we can live on $3K a month and not feeling impoverished at all. The cost of living and taxes in AZ are low compared to elsewhere in the US. There would not much left over for travels, but that is not a matter of life-and-death. The cable TV and Internet provide plenty of recreation. BS'ing on this forum is free too.

Medical insurance is another matter though, and the premium keeps rising. It is the worrysome wild card in our expenses.

Back
Top Bottom