Right time to pull trigger on summer flight?

I've been tracking that KLM open jaws flight on Dreamliner 787 (sfo to amsterdam, return vienna to amsterdam to sfo). The rate was is up $50 to $1047 from that quoted 5 days ago. This feels like stocks i.e. you see a price and then it ticks up and my tendency is to buy fearing further rises. If the stock goes down I feel like maybe it will go down just a bit further. Where is that trigger?? :facepalm:

When I look out 2 months the rate is $150 lower for the same flight. But at 3 months out and beyond it is looks like the same $1047.

I am not going to wait until 2 months before (in June) to book this. It feels like trying to make a purchase in stocks. One never knows what is coming next. So I'm inclined to pull the trigger now. :blush:

I'm not sure if you are saying you are going in June or in August...but you need to compare higher demand to higher demand prices..I think August might be primo demand for flights to Europe. Have you looked to see if any premium seats are open and the cost to upgrade..take this into account as well, as those seats tend to go early.

On my seat, I didn't feel suckered that the price went lower. I was only paying for one ticket, got the exact seat I wanted and really had only one flight to choose from so, I felt I got a good value even though I didn't get the cheapest fare.

Ivinsfan, we are going August 20th. Now I'm not so sure the pricing is constant going from March out to August travel. In June and coming back in early July, the pricing goes up. There is also a savings of $50 for taking the 747 instead of the 787, I think.

I need a computer to track this stuff and perhaps a Ph.D. to interpret. :)

You did mention in the travel thread that you have your lodging booked up and feel you got a good value. So all things considered this isn't too much of a factor, I'd probably just book the 787, look for a good value on a seat upgrade and be done with it...as some point the value of your time and being able to move on with other trip planning overcomes a few bucks on the fare.

Just an update.

I finally booked the flight using Chase Ultimate Rewards points. Very easy to work with the agent from Chase UR. I would probably do this even if I had to pay for the full tickets just because the agent knows the business better then me. But having the Google flights info on hand made this a good double check on the process.

Tickets were up $87 from when I started this thread but I wanted to book ground accommodations first so am basically following the plan.

So I have Chase points as well and have a question..did you spring for any upgraded seats and if you did not do it today, can you log on to the airlines website and purchase upgrades at a future date.

I was told that I could use the confirmation number and sign in to book seats plus upgrade seats.

From the Delta site (I booked with KLM which seems to partner with Delta) I think these flights are not currently allowing seat assignments. Don't know when I will be able to do that but I'll be checking regularly.

I was told that I could use the confirmation number and sign in to book seats plus upgrade seats.

From the Delta site (I booked with KLM which seems to partner with Delta) I think these flights are not currently allowing seat assignments. Don't know when I will be able to do that but I'll be checking regularly.

On my Delta flights that have been code-shared with Air France, I always had to go to the Air France website to select seats. Different confirmation number, of course, but you should have that anyway. I would imagine KLM works the same way.

Agree, Delta does codes shares with Virgin America and you must do seating with the VA website. The seating might now be available on the KLM website.

On my Delta flights that have been code-shared with Air France, I always had to go to the Air France website to select seats. Different confirmation number, of course, but you should have that anyway. I would imagine KLM works the same way.
After a few calls I finally got logged into the KLM site. I now see that seats are available to select. Cheapest is $21 for just being able to select an economy seat. Or one can get 9 whole extra inches for $95. Then for $116 there is 4 extra inches with "2 times more recline" ... whatever that is. :rolleyes:

Will consult with DW but will probably go with the $21 cheapskate special.

Does anyone know about the best section to sit on a 787? I know about seatguru. Am wondering if one should choose the section over the wing or the section back of the wing? We would choose 2 seats in the center section (3 seat group) since these are arrange 3-3-3.

Here in the Boeing 787 plan for the curious: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/KLM/KLM_Boeing_787-900.php?flightno=608&date=

Last edited:
Couple questions, will you have any type of carry-on under your seat? This sometimes prevents you from stretching out your legs in a regular seat. I'm curious about the 95 dollar charge is that for an emergency exit? it look like the 116 is for economy comfort which is at the front of the plane.

I'd probably go with D E g in row 10 ( edit I just saw a few reviews that were negative about row 10 saying the AV system cuts into your leg room and the users recommended row 11 instead..... It looks like the pitch of the regular seats is only 31 inches which is quite narrow for a long flight.

I guess one tack for carry-on's would be to have the minimal plane needs in a separate small bag within the larger carry-on bag. Then store the larger one above and the small one under the seat.

The $95 is for seats with extra legroom located just behind the business glass after the galley. On our flight row 10 is taken already.

We are tough :) and not big people so probably won't opt for the higher prices. I'm think of going for something like seats 35 D,E. Our flight outbound is a night flight but I'm not counting on sleeping much. Generally I get up and often stand around the galley or restroom to avoid seat discomfort. I drink a lot of liquids and that forces extra restroom visits. Good for exercising and hydration.

So it's 74 dollars extra one way...how long is that flight ...I'm guessing that works out to less then 10 bucks an hour each...I'm as frugal as the next guy but to me that's a bargin☺ I'd pay that just to be closer to the front of the customs line...on long trips like that it's the little things that count IMO....I think I am getting more personal space consious or claustrophobic as I get older and need every inch I can get.....

Those seats that are currently available on our flight with extra legroom are right in front of the restrooms.

If I opt to go with costlier seats it would be Economy Comfort at $116 (up to 4 inches of extra legroom, 2x reclining).

Those seats that are currently available on our flight with extra legroom are right in front of the restrooms.

If I opt to go with costlier seats it would be Economy Comfort at $116 (up to 4 inches of extra legroom, 2x reclining).

It's starting the feel like airline seats are going to be priced like venue seats, with more and more options you need to pay for, in fact I think Sun Country has different prices for aisle, middle and window seats...I wouldn't pay extra for seats right next to the restrooms to me that's an inferior seat.:facepalm:

DW and I had the big discussion. We decided on Economy Comfort just for the 10+ hour night flight.

Cheapskate is learning new tricks. :)

So now you are all set..believe me no one ever got off an airplane and said I wish I had less legroom.

DW and I had the big discussion. We decided on Economy Comfort just for the 10+ hour night flight.

Cheapskate is learning new tricks. :)

$116 each to upgrade from Economy Discomfort to Economy Comfort? Boy, what's next? Before long, you will be pricing business class seats. :nonono:

I have not chosen seats yet. Just now look, and British Airways wants $35/each just to chose an Economy Discomfort seat. If I do not pay this extortion, they may assign us to Economy Torture seats or something (the ones that do not recline).

We've had all those discussions of what are we going to spend our riches on. Well, this is one of those items.

Change is hard for us old cheapskates.

When I looked at the seats available for my early May flight, I saw that only a few seats have been reserved.

I should remember to check back often, and if the airplane gets alarmingly filled up, I will splurge and pay to make sure I get two of those Economy Discomfort that are left, and not get assigned to the Economy Torture ones.

When I looked at the seats available for my early May flight, I saw that only a few seats have been reserved.

I should remember to check back often, and if the airplane gets alarmingly filled up, I will splurge and pay to make sure I get two of those Economy Discomfort that are left, and not get assigned to the Economy Torture ones.
Are you thinking you can just move to the unused higher cost ones if they are vacant?

So I'm guessing those few seats are considered the "good ones". Do you have status and are hoping for a free upgrade?

Most seats in the Economy class are the same. The good ones are upfront, and cost more because of extra leg room (forgot what the cost was).

All the rest cost $35 for reservation, and are the same except for the "Torture" ones that are in the back and do not recline fully. If you do not pay to reserve the seats in advance, they will assign you seats, and open up any free seats for free swap 24 hrs prior to boarding.

It's my thinking that if people pay $35/seat/flight leg just for a regular seat, they would do that mainly to avoid the "Torture" seats. So, do I take my chance that I will not get assigned these Torture seats, or being able to swap for better ones?

No, we are not frequent flyers with any airline anymore, and have no special status.

Last edited:
Most seats in the Economy class are the same. The good ones are upfront, and cost more because of extra leg room (forgot what the cost was).

All the rest cost $35 for reservation, and are the same except for the "Torture" ones that are in the back and do not recline fully. If you do not pay to reserve the seats in advance, they will assign you seats, and open up any free seats for free swap 24 hrs prior to boarding.

It's my thinking that if people pay $35/seat/flight leg just for a regular seat, they would do that mainly to avoid the "Torture" seats. So, do I take my chance that I will not get assigned these Torture seats, or being able to swap for better ones?

No, we are not frequent flyers with any airline anymore, and have no special status.

If your are asking me, I pay more for the ones upfront that have extra legroom..on an international Delta flight, it will also get you free booze, reserved space for your carry-ons and wait for it...hot towels to wipe your hands and/or face...free eyeshades and earpugs...:D

Really? I thought extra legroom would be all one has in the row behind the bulkhead, and we are not tall people. Used to be that those seats were up for grab by people who bought the tickets early and grabbed them ASAP. First come first served, and all free.

Anyway, we will be flying British Airways from the US, and coming back on Aer Lingus. They may not give the same treatments as Delta for extra legroom seats. I don't think they have the Economy Plus class either.

PS. We should remember to bring the little personal care kits that we were given from previous flights. The eye shades were in there. :)

Last edited:
The other factor is do you want seating together? Most likely if you check in at the 24 hour before point, you will get that. DW would be very upset if she had to sit by herself.

Also, I want an aisle seat and in the center so nobody is climbing over me.

So I'd pay just for the assurance of the seat I want.

Plus NW-Bound, I seem to recall you are wondering what to spend all those riches on. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom