Sell daughter's Jeep (she's heading to S Korea)

corn18

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our youngest daughter graduated from Ohio State this past summer. She wanted to go teach English in China (she speaks fluent Mandarin), but COVID put a stop to that. So she is now going to teach for a year in S. Korea. She owns her 2014 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. It's worth about $19k right now (offer from Carvana). She's living with us until she leaves in Feb 2021.

I think she should sell the Jeep and go from there. It is in great shape and has given us no trouble, but it is the worst rated car in the history of Consumer Reports. And it's a 2 door, it is not practical. It will be a year older when she gets back. We don't want to drive it while she's away and it will be stored in our 3 car garage, which is fine. She is waffling back and forth but I think she is leaning towards selling it. I own it per the title, so that isn't an issue.

Should she sell it now?

Knowing that used car values are currently very high, I would say definitely sell it.
+1 Jeeps and pickups are selling at crazy high prices right now.

+1 Sell it and she can get something different when she returns. If she keeps it it will probably lose $1,500 or so to depreciation in a year.

1) She may end up spending more than a year overseas. It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future!
2) When she comes back, PHEV, EV's and regular hybrids will be more common. Get something with much better options. Apple car play and Android will be more common wireless, better gas mileage, etc..

Sell it.

Before you sell it drive it around on side streets and country roads. It may grow on you.

Two door Wranglers are a blast for some driving and stink on the highway. It's not going to eat much. Don't listen to Consumer Reports on Wranglers. Yeah they stink; Consumer Reports doesn't understand Jeep things.

Before you sell it drive it around on side streets and country roads. It may grow on you.

Two door Wranglers are a blast for some driving and stink on the highway. It's not going to eat much. Don't listen to Consumer Reports on Wranglers. Yeah they stink; Consumer Reports doesn't understand Jeep things.

I love that Jeep, but it would be a fourth car for us (have a new SUV, a truck and a convertible). It has never been off road.

I grew up with CJ's and we did a lot of off-roading. We ran a trap-line for for many years when I was a kid. I was driving a Jeep off road since about 10 years old. We also used it to pull our trailer for hauling firewood. We heated our house with wood, so we had to bring in about a cord a week. Also had a '55 Willys for a while but it caught on fire. My mom got pulled over for drunk driving once when the cop saw her wandering in her lane. Mom never drank a drop of alcohol in her life. But our old CJ had very ambiguous steering and a short wheelbase.

Last edited:
I'd probably keep it if she likes it, is pretty sure she's coming back in a year, and you have a place to keep it, and drive it once in awhile. I know it depreciates even while it's mostly unused, but I feel like you lose on every sell/buy exchange. It's probably pretty close.

Jeeps are a hot commodity at present and have been for a while. If she really likes it and you have storage space for a year I'd say keep it. As someone else said, don't be swayed too much by consumer reports.

I'd say it's her car, her decision, and her consequences to the extent there are any. Not your car, not your decision, and not your consequences. She is not a child any more.

Nothing wrong with you making your suggestions and arguments for them, but once you have been heard, shut up and MYOB. From what you say, I think you are already at or past the MYOB point.

I sold a car thru Carvana in March and it was the easiest sale I have ever done and they gave us a good price for it.

My vote is to sell it while prices are high and put the money away for when she returns.

Our youngest daughter graduated from Ohio State this past summer. She wanted to go teach English in China (she speaks fluent Mandarin), but COVID put a stop to that. So she is now going to teach for a year in S. Korea. She owns her 2014 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. It's worth about $19k right now (offer from Carvana). She's living with us until she leaves in Feb 2021.

I think she should sell the Jeep and go from there. It is in great shape and has given us no trouble, but it is the worst rated car in the history of Consumer Reports. And it's a 2 door, it is not practical. It will be a year older when she gets back. We don't want to drive it while she's away and it will be stored in our 3 car garage, which is fine. She is waffling back and forth but I think she is leaning towards selling it. I own it per the title, so that isn't an issue.

Should she sell it now?
Who made the payments?
Where did the idea of selling it come from?
How does she like that car?

I'd say it's her car, her decision, and her consequences to the extent there are any. Not your car, not your decision, and not your consequences. She is not a child any more.

Nothing wrong with you making your suggestions and arguments for them, but once you have been heard, shut up and MYOB. From what you say, I think you are already at or past the MYOB point.

Thanks for the parenting tip. Very helpful.

So, the question I'd have for your daughter is this -

If she sells it now, when she comes back in a year, would she buy a similar 2 door Jeep or something else?

So, the question I'd have for your daughter is this -

If she sells it now, when she comes back in a year, would she buy a similar 2 door Jeep or something else?

She would buy something else.

In that case it should be a very easy decision... she would prefer something else and the value of the vehicle will depreciate while she is gone. Besides, a lot can happen in a year.

But I agree with OldShooter... at teh end of the day it is her decision for her to make and live with the consequences.

In that case it should be a very easy decision... she would prefer something else and the value of the vehicle will depreciate while she is gone. Besides, a lot can happen in a year.

Plus, not having to insure it. I noted the OP said it'd be kept in the garage, so maybe it would be covered under homeowners insurance if it got damaged, etc.

Not sure how that works to be honest.

Plus, not having to insure it. I noted the OP said it'd be kept in the garage, so maybe it would be covered under homeowners insurance if it got damaged, etc.

Not sure how that works to be honest.

Insurers do insure that kind of loss for vehicles in storage but of course it only covers things that happen while stored, such as fire, theft, etc. It is very cheap unless you're insuring something like a 1939 Rolls. For a 2014 Jeep I'm sure it's cheap.

Since daughter is not that thrilled with keeping Jeep to use when she comes back, I would sell. Avoid storage hassle, insurance (even if just comprehensive), and potential registration fees. Plus as stated earlier, used Jeep market is good for selling now.

The other big factor is how long will she be out of country? Korea may be one year, but then that China job may open up.

If you hadn't offered the long-term use of your garage for a year to keep it off the street/out of the elements/safe from vandalism or theft, what would she have done?

I went through the same thing recently. Daughter heading out of state to college. Sold her car so there is one less thing to maintain and worry about and take up space.

Let someone else enjoy it.

Sell the car. It won't be worth more in a year obviously. Also, due to Covid used car prices are high. We sold our second car in August because we just weren't using it. We got more than I expected given blue book value.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom