Senior discounts

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I remember when I was a kid starting around age 12 I had to start paying "adult" prices instead of "kid" prices. Like at the movie theater or wherever.

I am aware that there are senior citizen prices or senior discounts on lots of things. I'm turning 50 later this year so I don't think I qualify for any of these yet, but maybe at 55.

I'm curious about these senior discounts:

When did they start for you?
What are the most significant discounts you get?
Which discounts were the most surprising?
Do the discounts in aggregate move the needle on the overall budget, or are they a rounding error?

Any other comments would probably be interesting as well.

Thanks!

When I was around 50, at the drive thru of an un-named national fast food establishment, just getting coffee, I was counting out exact change. I hear,
" Oh, I forgot your Sr. Discount" A little gray hair and counting pennies can trigger it :rolleyes:

Jacks and McDonalds - Senior Coffee - stay away from the food though if you want to live long enough to collect SS.

Best discounts so far , cell phone service 55+

America the Beautiful Senior Pass

Formerly, this was the most and bestest senior bargain anywhere: up until 2017 at age 62 you could purchase a senior pass to all national parks and national wildlife refuges GOOD FOR LIFE for $10. Alas, that bargain diminished in August 2018.

It now costs $80 for this same pass. Still a wonderful bargain. And it gets your traveling companions in for free too!

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578

So far, 10% off on selected items every 1st Tuesday at Walgreens. 10% off in selected restaurants due to the AARP card with $20 off every 4th visit.

Being "old for my age" since I was 12, I started getting senior discounts long before I clicked 50.
Now the big saver is Fry's/Kroger groceries are 10% off senior day 1st Weds of the month. We put off buying the don't-need-it-right-away-stuff until senior day as well as any splurge or "lets try this" and stocking up purchases.

Now the big saver is Fry's/Kroger groceries are 10% off senior day 1st Weds of the month.

You're fortunate to still have that. Kroger discontinued their senior discount in most parts of the country.

At 50, you are able to sign up for AARP. I've gotten some good savings/deals from that over time. If you drive often, AAA (not age related) is worth it too - with some good all around discounts. I bought my daughter a AAA membership and this winter, when her battery died, they arrived within 30 minutes with a brand new battery - all part of the deal. Along with some very good hotel discounts among other things.

The AARP membership rate was worth the cost for us - starting at 50.

Once upon a time SS was not indexed for inflation and pensions usually were not indexed either, so many seniors had a declining standard of living. I always assumed senior discounts came about decades ago for this truly “fixed income” situation as well as trying to draw in more regular/loyal customers.

Nowadays overall seniors are quite wealthy as a population compared to younger populations in the US who usually have larger expenses due to raising families. So I always feel a little odd about this “throwback”. Granted there are plenty of individual seniors hurting financially but many are doing quite well.

I'll take the senior discounts when the cashier "offers it" but I never ask. I've had the cashier at Whataburger tell me to order a "senior" coffee with my order and I won't be charged for the coffee. However, the next time I'll order a senior coffee and the person taking the order has no idea of what I'm asking for.

I turned 55 in November and got my first senior discount at a Best Western hotel a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, due to a record snow storm forcing us to stay home, I had to cancel that reservation. So, now I'm back to waiting for my first senior discount. :)

Actually, there was one time at a Burgerville fast food restaurant a few years ago. My wife and I bought the little bargain burgers because we just wanted to grab something light before getting back on the road. The young gal at the register rang us up with a senior discount. I turned to my wife and laughed, saying "how old does she think I am"? :)

Southwest has a senior discount.

I was happy to discover an auto insurance discount. At 55, if you take an accepted defensive driving course (I did online, through AAA for $17), you qualify for a discount. It qualified me for $40 off each car for 2 years at which point I'll need to retake it. I wanted to take it anyways so good news. Of course, discount depends on your auto insurance company so call to confirm.

I see Geico gives a discount for this at age 50, so check with your company.

Last edited:
Once upon a time SS was not indexed for inflation and pensions usually were not indexed either, so many seniors had a declining standard of living. I always assumed senior discounts came about decades ago for this truly “fixed income” situation as well as trying to draw in more regular/loyal customers.

Nowadays overall seniors are quite wealthy as a population compared to younger populations in the US who usually have larger expenses due to raising families. So I always feel a little odd about this “throwback”. Granted there are plenty of individual seniors hurting financially but many are doing quite well.

I'm not sure this is true, maybe just the people you associate with and folks on this board are quite wealthy.

However, another way to look at the discounts is, that they are incentives to spend money. As crazy as it seems, it works, offer a person a "special" discount and it puffs up their ego a bit, so they take the $2,000 cruise because they get it at a discount off the regular rate, even if it's only a $20 discount. :LOL:
Come into McD's for a free senior coffee, and of course you end up buying a burger.

Stopped at a Taco Bell on Hwy. 5 between San Francisco and LA recently and the girl mentioned a 10% discount for being 55. Saved me .50 but I took it!

I think the first time I was eligible for a senior discount was 10% off for 55 & over at a Mom & Pop country-style restaurant in Keedysville, MD called "Bonnie's at the Red Byrd" formerly called the "Red Byrd". It's actually pretty good food & prices but if you're looking for highfalutin' ambiance this place ain't it.

DW and I met up with member Ronstar there several years ago.

I think the first time I was eligible for a senior discount was 10% off for 55 & over at a Mom & Pop country-style restaurant in Keedysville, MD called "Bonnie's at the Red Byrd" formerly called the "Red Byrd". It's actually pretty good food & prices but if you're looking for highfalutin' ambiance this place ain't it.

DW and I met up with member Ronstar there several years ago.

Just across the river & down the road a bit from my favorite WV town - Shepherdstown! :greetings10:

ETA: DW & I spent our 25th anniversary there. :)

Weekday senior discounts at golf courses. Golf is cheaper for me now than it was 20 years ago.

I use senior discount at the movies too.

Just across the river & down the road a bit from my favorite WV town - Shepherdstown! :greetings10:

ETA: DW & I spent our 25th anniversary there. :)

Thanks for the memories.... when living in DC, I owned a small tract of land in Jefferson County, West Va. you could see the property from the Hilltop restaurant in Harpers Ferry, WVa.

I

California has a state park pass for $20 a year good for 9 months for over 100 state parks (62+ or vet).

I also get discounts at Ross Dress for Less, Grocery Outlet and many of our local college and regional arts live events have discount ticket prices for seniors. Plus we have the National Parks pass. The senior clubs in our area also have many free and inexpensive events and ongoing activities for ~$20 a year per person membership fees.

Weekday senior discounts at golf courses. Golf is cheaper for me now than it was 20 years ago.

I use senior discount at the movies too.

AMC $5 movies all day every Tuesday.

T-Mobile’s pricing for 55+ is the best deal I’ve seen for a major carrier. 2 phones with unlimited everything for $70, including all taxes and fees. And free use of Gogo on airplanes, plus free roaming in over 200 countries.

T-Mobile’s pricing for 55+ is the best deal I’ve seen for a major carrier. 2 phones with unlimited everything for $70, including all taxes and fees. And free use of Gogo on airplanes, plus free roaming in over 200 countries.

Still use Cricket at 4 phones for $100. Would have switched to T Mobile when it was $60 for two but found out too late.

One of the senior discounts I really enjoy is on trains in Europe. That's my favorite way to travel over there, and the discounts can be quite substantial. Generally, depending on the country, you have to be a bit older than with senior discounts in this country. But now that I'm a real geezer I take advantage of it whenever I can.

Just as an example, I just recently bought a ticket on a European train for travel next month. The regular price was $112, but the senior price was half that, $56. This particular deal requires you to be at least 67 years old. Yes, I'm ancient. Get over it. :D

Back
Top Bottom