Senior discounts

This perk is available to everyone using AMC's mobile app, not just seniors.

I’ve been to AMC on Tuesday for the $5 deal with DW and noticed it was all old people (old = anyone older than us and I am 56). I’m cool with it.

Don't forget the Senior Pass for U.S. National Parks and other federal lands. $80 for a lifetime pass once you're 62. (It used to be $10, but hey, it's still a great deal!)

Am I the only one who DOESN'T seek out senior discounts? If it's offered, fine. I never ask. If the underlying reason behind senior discounts is that seniors are poor, it doesn't apply to me. If it's that I should be rewarded for reaching some advanced age- hey, that's reward enough.

I have no problem seeking and getting discounts available regardless of age (e.g., AAA discounts) and heartily endorse military discounts, though.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T seek out senior discounts? If it's offered, fine. I never ask. If the underlying reason behind senior discounts is that seniors are poor, it doesn't apply to me. If it's that I should be rewarded for reaching some advanced age- hey, that's reward enough.

I have no problem seeking and getting discounts available regardless of age (e.g., AAA discounts) and heartily endorse military discounts, though.
Me too. I use AAA discounts extensively. Many senior discounts require AARP membership which I haven't cared to get to avoid their giant marketing machine. Not that they don't constantly send me stuff anyway once I turned 50 and especially 55.

We did get the National Parks Senior Pass for DH as soon as we could.

I'm still (age 59) looking for my first senior discount.

None of the grocery stores near me offer one. I don't go to movies, drink coffee or eat at Denny's. Hotels, airlines and rental car companies offer the same discount for a thousand different reasons, and I always find I belong to one of those other groups, anyway.

My big discounts are things I used even before turning 50; Credit cards give me 5% back on gas or anything from Lowe's, and 2-3% on everything else. With Google Fi I average under $30/month for my cell phone service, which works with three big carriers or over WiFi (like on an airplane.)

I find most discounts are on things I refuse to overpay for in the first place, so I'm not really "saving" anything. I'd rather buy from the vendor who offers a fair price to begin with.

But that hasn't stopped me from watching. I'll find a good senior discount some day!

I thought of another discount we received for seniors - an annual Sonoma Regional Parks pass for $49 that includes a night of camping, so that was a pretty good deal.

In Florida there is a program called Silver Sneakers. Senior citizens that have this item in their health care plan are eligible to work out in Planet Fitness or LA Fitness for FREE.

I take advantage of every discount that's available, whether it be a senior's discount, a Monday 10% off, happy hour, or a coupon. It's simply part of my frugal habit.

I've seen seniors get free coffee at Burger King and Wendy's. All they have to do is to ask for a senior coffee. Free is good.
I was at Taco Bell yesterday and got a free soft drink.

In Florida there is a program called Silver Sneakers. Senior citizens that have this item in their health care plan are eligible to work out in Planet Fitness or LA Fitness for FREE.
Silver Sneakers is nationwide, and works with many Medicare supplement providers, including AARP/United Healthcare.

Silver Sneakers is nationwide, and works with many Medicare supplement providers, including AARP/United Healthcare.

Maybe they should call it "velcro sneakers"...

(And yes, I was an early adopter of that fashion trend.)

+1.

If it's offered fine but I never ask for it either. A waitress at a breakfast place gave us a 10% senior discount without asking for it. I added it to her tip.

Not mentioned is one that I'm looking forward to qualifying for - free tuition at many colleges typically starting at age 60. Free class (non-degree auditing) and associated free access to college facilities, like their gyms, libraries, makers spaces, etc.

One of the best cities to live in if you are over 65 is Madrid, Spain. The monthly cost of unlimited public transportation is $12 euros.

Walgreens has an attractive senior citizen discount. 20% off regular priced products in the store. Pharmacy and sale products do not apply to the discount. 55 year old and over and or AARP card. The first Tuesday of every month.

Walgreens has an attractive senior citizen discount. 20% off regular priced products in the store. Pharmacy and sale products do not apply to the discount. 55 year old and over and or AARP card. The first Tuesday of every month.

+1
Only go to Walgreens once a month, except for prescriptions.

It's there, I believe. The labeling is poor, and difficult to understand.
Yes. And the large differences between the median and average numbers appear to be heavily skewed by some extremely wealthy individuals.

Not mentioned is one that I'm looking forward to qualifying for - free tuition at many colleges typically starting at age 60. Free class (non-degree auditing) and associated free access to college facilities, like their gyms, libraries, makers spaces, etc.

Are you referring to OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute)? We have 2 universities in our city that participate. The one I belong to is $225/year. For that you get unlimited courses (special OSHER courses or auditing regular courses), free access to university library, and discounts to many cultural events in the city. I really appreciate it.

OLLI is just one program.

In my state, anyone over 65 can attend any class at any state college (seats permitting) for free.

Back
Top Bottom