Share Your BEST 1980's experiences/stories.......

Graduated from college and starting working "in the real world" as they say in the 80s. The beginning that led the way to FIRE.

Oh..also, got that old Timex Sinclair 1000 computer I lusted over. A computer for $99. Can't top that!

I graduated from high school in the 80s so there must be lots of stupid things I could share. I think one of the highlights was playing in a rock band with my Flock of Seagulls style haircut. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about? :D

I met and married my second husband in the late 80's. I also was working at a job I loved.

I graduated from high school in the 80s so there must be lots of stupid things I could share. I think one of the highlights was playing in a rock band with my Flock of Seagulls style haircut. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about? :D

This post just struck me a funny. What a diverse forum when you have people graduating high school in the eighties and other people retiring in the eighties.

In 1981 DH left his job so that he could go to graduate school. I supported us working as an accountant and he had a partial scholarship, so no student loans. Did student loans exist in the 80's?

He graduated in 1983, got a job and within a month we bought our first house. Like cj posted we had our savings for the down payment in a money market account paying 16%-18%. We put down 25% on a house (4BR 2BA) that cost $60,000 so our mortgage was only $45,000. 30 year fixed at 12 3/8% which was a deal in 1983. Moved in in July 1983, got a new roof, carpeted, painted and wallpapered until I got pregnant in October. Our first son was born in 1984 and the next one in 1987.

We refinanced and shortened the term a few times when rates dropped, raised the kids and enjoyed being a family.

It's been 29 years and this week we got a new roof again. The first one in 1983 was a gift from my Dad who was a roof salesman. Nothing was leaking (yet) but after almost 30 years, it was time. The new one is so much prettier!

Thinking about this, I realized how fast that decade went. Pretty good all around, I remember being happy and busy with the boys in pre-school and kindergarten.

Last edited:
Our kids were born at the beginning of that decade--it was an exhausting and exhilarating and fulfilling ten years for our family!

panacea said:

Of course we do, but we'd still like to see a picture! :)

In 1980 went from an hourly employee to a salaried exempt management puke and never looked back. The move allowed me to retire in 2005 at the ripe old age of 54. All and all it was a good move and I had a fun and interesting career, no regrets here.

The 1980's were kind of a blur for me. My daughter was ages 1-11 then and I was essentially raising her alone (since her father was a sea-going man and had to be gone most of the time), trying to be supermom plus I was working and going back to school full time. I think THAT'S where all my energy must have gone, to the 1980's! :LOL:

Last edited:
I was born in the early 80s. I remember some excellent summer vacations... but nothing as juicy as I expect to come out of this thread. :whistle:

Ha! I have a vehicle that I bought new that is older than you and I still have it. :whistle: I feel like I'm supposed to now say "Get off my grass", sorry. :flowers:

The 80's had THE best music. I remember the 60's and the British invasion, psychedelic music, the 70's rock and then the 90's when music died. The 80's really had the best music.

Separated from the Navy in January 1982, took a job with a utility. Bought my first house that summer with a VA loan at 15.5% interest. Thought it was normal!!

Two older kids were born in the 80's. Worked hard. Grew up. Don't miss the 80's except for the music videos that MTV ran back then.

Started saving for retirement in the late 80's.

Back
Top Bottom