Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

It occurred to me that though we talk about how much it costs to live in a CCRC, the discussion usually ends up in in talking generalities, like $xxx thousand dollars a year. Not a good way to plan, either for oneself or for an aging relative. FWIW, here's the current rate schedule for our CCRC.

Note that the fees include two major meals/day, all transportation, activities, TV and internet, and all utilities except telephone. You may extrapolate the annual costs based on the type of of care, and the kind of room.

This is meant only as a guideline, and is likely in the lower end of the costs.
This is a nice surprise. It's hard to find this data specific to your area and what it includes, without sharing personal data. Considering, we spend approx $5000/month anyway. Peru is near Starved Rock! Never been there, but have heard great things.

Last edited:
Boston area rates FYI, recently researched and validated.

Assisted living for Dementia care ~$325 daily

Semi private room at skilled nursing facility ~$385 day

Private room at skilled nursing facility ~$425 daily

The relative for whom I am caregiver just passed away in a private room at a local assisted living facility (terminal cancer, on Hospice).

The monthly costs there were:

$2800 - room rate.

Add-ons based on level of assistance needed:

Medication administration: $300

Assistance with bathing/changing (they could feed themselves): $800

It's a LOT cheaper to die in assisted living.

And a lot more comfortable, "home-y" setting.

Last edited:
A happy note update.

Something that's been sitting on the shelf, unnoticed for a long time. When jeanie's mom passed away in 1980, the small amount she inherited, $8400, was put into an annuity. Now, since we decided to see what that would mean to our budget, we found that we'll get and extra $15,000/year for the next 5 years, or $68,000 as a one time payment. At age 83, the $15,000 looks pretty good...

This AM, we tried to think how we'd celebrate. After an hour, we both came to the same joyful conclusion. Very excited... Dinner at the local "Red Lobster".

Just wanted to share this great event with friends here at ER. :dance:

Last edited:
A happy note update.

Something that's been sitting on the shelf, unnoticed for a long time. When jeanie's mom passed away in 1980, the small amount she inherited, $8400, was put into an annuity. Now, since we decided to see what that would mean to our budget, we found that we'll get and extra $15,000/year for the next 5 years, or $68,000 as a one time payment. At age 83, the $15,000 looks pretty good...

This AM, we tried to think how we'd celebrate. After an hour, we both came to the same joyful conclusion. Very excited... Dinner at the local "Red Lobster".

Congrats to you and Jeanie.

Awsome.. Congratulations, unexpected found money is a delight. I get a thrill from my Costco checks - small as they are, but rewarding none the less!

I think I may have posted this before, but just sent in to the State Of Rhode Island, the information they needed to pay out the "Found Money" that I located by searching for my name in places where I had lived.

The $$$ came from a very old insurance policy (I think) that my mom and dad took out for me when I was born... in 1936. It was probably a $200 or maybe $500 policy, that now totals $2918.38. Had to dig for birth certificate record, address that I found on my DD214, and a few other validations... Now Notarized and on its' way.

Will have to see how long it takes to process... Hope I can live to see it... :dance:

I have never in my life, bought a lottery ticket. Maybe this is the time?

BTW... we didn't go to the Red Lobster... Spotted a few dozen shrimp on sale at Walmart, and am gorging on those little devils. (They came with shrimp sauce".) Frugal, is a habit.
:(

Last edited:
A happy note update.

Interesting. If I figured it right you made 5.40% on the investment over 39 years. That extra money you can enjoy something very special and wish you well.

imoldernu,

I always enjoy your posts. This one really made me smile. I love your attitude!

I am a little reluctant to post on this thread, as it's old, but in a way, it's a record for my kids to understand my retirement, and for jeanie, who doesn't always know what I'm thinking.

ANYWAY...
a few more passing thoughts on things that have or will,... affect our retirement.
.........................................................................................................

Long term care insurance.
Not always well understood and seemingly, for most, not as important as life insurance or just building assets.

Even though our policy is not large, it does cover $100/day for long term care. For most, LTC means a long term care facility... and at $100/day only puts a dent into a $70,000/yr. nursing home cost. ($36,000). What it may, (depending on the policy) cover, is care in the home, at the same rate. In our case, hopefully, we won't necessarily end up in a nursing home bed, but may be able to carry on the life we love, in our home. Just some food for thought.
....................................................................................

Another subject... already covered in another thread: Over 55 retirement communities in parks with manufactured homes. We did snowbirding from 1990 to 2012 in our Florida Lake Griffin Harbor park. Manufactured homes... then... like what you think of as long trailers. (Ours was 14' X 67' with an add on sunroom... or a total of 1200 sf.)
Here's what has happened... and a warning to those who might be considering this type of low cost living.
In most cases, the "Retirement Park" owns the land , and you rent the land from the owners. In the early days, our rental costs were less than $200/mo.
Here's what has happened... follow this, if you are considering a rental land manufactured home.
1. The rate have gone up... rapidly. To as much as $700/mo., or even more.
2. The contract for living in a mfg. home park, usually requires a level of upkeep, or... an age requirement for the building, after which the owner is required to remove or replace the building.
3. corporations have been buying up older mfg home parks, and either increasing the rent, or requiring removal... (a very expensive proposition).

Seniors who bought in older parks in the last 10 years or so, are facing difficult decisions at a time when older residents don't need this kind of worry. This problem is often exacerbated because of rental contracts.
Caveat Emptor.
................................................................................................

Lastly... something that many here need not consider, because of sufficient funds, and a likely inheritance for their children... but for any considerations for a longer retirement, a suggestion:

Instead of picking a spending number based on today's lifestyle, a more in depth spreadsheet type of budget... realistic for the later years. So... not a question or problem for many, but for those who hope to retire early, a realistic somewhat austere budget that doesn't include that $30K for travel, or a new car every 5 years. Doing this with a hands on approach, may well allow an earlier retirement than planned. It's what I've called Phase II of retirement. A lower real cost... with an actual, real plan that is in line with your own spending, as opposed from a number posited by Suze O.
Cost of living, in our experience has gone down substantially since age 75.

So... a few random thoughts from an Ancient Mariner. :angel:

Last edited:
I have heard that many mobile home parks get bought up or keep raising the rates. We had a park here get sold and everyone had to leave. Devastating for most of the people as rents are high here.

Great thread with lots of good info and thoughts. Your story is a great ?path/inspiration/methodology to chew on.

My 25 years of ER was more jerky and I was/am noticeably a more bad record budget keeper (grin). And frugal is a kinder word than my cheap in early years.

But you really captured the need to be aware of expenses and the power of flexible planning.

heh heh heh - again like your posts. :cool: :greetings10:

Yep, I always look forward to an update to this thread. I thought the forum got a lot more interesting when imoldernu joined. Keep 'em coming!

I have heard that many mobile home parks get bought up or keep raising the rates. We had a park here get sold and everyone had to leave. Devastating for most of the people as rents are high here.

Good point. However I'm seeing rising costs as well in property taxes and assessments on our lake property. I guess the old adage regarding death and taxes holds up.

Please indulge me... While I did post a pic of Riley on the Pics thread, this was one I just received from son Scott... w/Riley (to be 10 in May) ... at her Father/Daughter dance, last week. Youngest of my four boys @ age 50.

Attachments

• Scott and Riley light.jpg
    Scott and Riley light.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 82
Nice picture. Thanks for posting what is really important.

This is a great picture. Riley is so cute. Love the father and daughter dance pictures.

Apologies in advance, because I posted this in another thread.

The reason I'm posting here is to keep it in this thread, because I know my kids and some other friends follow this one, and i feel it's important enough for them not to miss these thoughts.
.............................................................................................

A few points....

Depending on state and local laws, two breaks for senior house taxes.
Senior Tax Freeze- into effect on the home purchase for seniors. It means that the base tax rate at time of buying, will not change. For us based, on 2004 purchase an annual saving compared to today... $1300/yr.

Homestead exemption from Nolo:
Quote:
Under the Illinois exemption system, homeowners may exempt up to $15,000 of their home or other property covered by the homestead exemption. The Illinois homestead exemption requires that you be a legal owner of record to claim the exemption, meaning your name is listed on the deed to the property.
.................................................. .......................................

When considering a relocation... some things that should be mandatory.

1. Go to City-Data to find the statistics and general rating of all homeowners considerations compared to that of the state. This is an absolute necessity, IMHO.

2. Search Google for Real Estate Dealers in the town being considered. The websites givea good picture of the age and value of the home in the interest area.

3. A long hard look at Google Maps... to check the local roads and kind of businesses that are important to you. Check the distances and type of travel that's available. Zero in on "Street View" to see the types of roads, housing and traffic. An hour on "maps: will save days of driving around.

4. Determine your own likes, which may not be those that others care about. Know what you're looking for and not be swayed... example... schools, theatre, hiking lakes and trails, big shopping centers, golf courses, sports venues, night life, 'views', hospitals and doctors, retirement communities (for later on). It's nice to say "look at where I live", but more important that the area is right for you.

5. If moving far from family, and close friends, realize that your life will change. For close families, this can be devastating.

In short, a two or three day trip to look at a town you've heard about may not be enough to pick out a home that you could be happy in, for the rest of your life.

3. A long hard look at Google Maps... to check the local roads and kind of businesses that are important to you. Check the distances and type of travel that's available. Zero in on "Street View" to see the types of roads, housing and traffic. An hour on "maps: will save days of driving around.

When looking at 50+ acre properties in Kentucky, I spent alot of time looking at the topography of the acerage, and how close neighbors were, and what their places looked like. You don't want to be surprised by an industrial factory, or an operating coal mine close by, you also don't want a redneck junkyard, or wetlands that are impassable. I used google maps and zeroed in on interesting areas, and looked how far away towns, and major roads were.

I’ve really enjoyed reading this entire thread. Thank you to all who have participated!

Downsized at 57 1/2 , still have mixed feelings about it but was prepared. Always believed I would be pushed out early. spouse was SAHM. Me 59 1/2 now she is 58.
Lived on after tax accounts for first six months then 401K. Downsized the MacMansion (was always part of the plan). Christian Sharing Ministry for healthcare...we are both healthy. Moving forward will manage 401K withdrawals to qualify for affordable care act subsidy and supplement financial needs with after tax funds. I know some people have a challenge with the wealthy receiving healthcare subsidy....I didn’t make the rules just play the game. I’ve paid plenty of taxes over the years. Plan on keeping the Sharing Ministry...cost $475 month for both of us and works well.
Wife will start SS at 62 will convert to spousal SS when eligible. I’ll start SS at 70. Small non-cola pension at 65.
It is assuring to write this plan out.
Looks good if I say so myself.

Thanks to all for 7 fun years of discussions. While I will drop in occasionally to watch the excitement of retiring and see how my many friends have progressed so successfully, I think my time has passed for being of any help.

At 83, life has turned me into more of a philosopher than a helpful contributor.

With a limited amount of time left, I am looking ahead to the future, and to what my sons and their families will be looking at... five , ten, and twenty years from now. Especially for my grandkids, who in ten to 15 years will be looking at a different world that what we see today.

It is important to me to look ahead for so many things that will affect all of us... even now. Politics, ecology, international relationships. So much to be considered and discussed by those who will eventually set the path to the future.

So, not anything to help decide asset allocation, or selecting the right investment company, but more of a long term view as to how , (not if) the world will survive.

And so I'll turn to the thinkers, the dreamers... and yes the decision makers.
Thoughtful discussions on those parts of our world that will be changing within our own lifetimes.

I'll miss the fun interplay, and wish everyone well, but I think my time has passed. Time to move in a new direction.

Bless you all. :)

Back
Top Bottom