Singapore Raffles Hotel

tmitchell

Recycles dryer sheets
Is it worth the money?

We are planning a trip in January and it looks like an amazing hotel. Anecdotal surveys have gotten a lot of “just go there for drinks”.

We don’t plan to return to Singapore again (never know). But we also enjoy the occasional once in a lifetime splurge. But it’s not cheap.

Anyone with experience? I plan to die with zero but I’m statistically a ways out :cool:

Hey - a small group of us dropped in to the Raffles hotel bar and had a round of Pimm's Cup #1 cocktails back a few years ago. Our travel expenses were covered by a rich uncle. A few years - like 53. Singapore was pretty amazing.

I Anecdotal surveys have gotten a lot of “just go there for drinks”.

Singapore is on my bucket list as is a visit to Raffles for s Singapore Sling where it was invented. I would definitely do that.

Can't help you on a stay experience. I have personally soured greatly on Accor over how badly they screwed up the purchase of Fairmont so I would avoid it just for that reason. But that is personal and not based on any experience at the hotel. Many Fairmonts are in damage control over what Accor did. You might get a deal at Raffles especially if you contact them directly and mention Accor horror stories. Do your research online.

I always stayed at the Intercontinental but the Marina Bay looks awesome! Still, if the Raffles is on your bucket list, go for it! YOLO.

We used to live in Singapore, and have hit the Long Bar several times. Having a Singapore Sling in the place it was invented is quite heady! I've never stayed there, but when we go back to visit in the next few years as we plan I think we'll try to stay there a few nights out of a several week stay.

I never stayed at Raffels but I have been to the bar (for a Sling of course)... Actually I prefer just drinking the Asian variety of Tiger beer while in the region. Anyway, it's been over ten years since I've been there but if it's like the other high end hotels in Singapore it is probably really something. I've often said the best hotels in Singapore are among the best I've ever stayed in anywhere. Easily beats the best in the US, IMO, but YMMV

Last edited:
I'm often wary of the famous properties, as by the time they become legend, their best years are behind them. For instance, after watching Lost In Translation I would have wanted to stay at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo, but the reviews said...nah not so great anymore.

But reviews of Raffles say that's not the case, and it was revamped in 2019 - very good sign. Still, there are a ton of awesome properties in the area, including a Shangri La, so it might still be one to visit for a cocktail vs. a stay. I'd do a lot of research and go with the absolute best for this kind of trip. I find that location is also typically superb in big cities with the better hotels as well, so I'd be making sure that the one(s) you pick are convenient for all you plan to do.

I mean, almost. I love a crazy resort, but I've yet to seriously consider an Aman property for more than a stop off for dinner. One day...

Thanks folks!

@Aerides I hear you about the famous properties taking a turn, but from all the reviews the update is pretty great. We stayed at the Old Cataract in Aswan which could have been lame, but it was awesome!

Although it's a bit of a hassle we might move to a cheaper place for a night just to get a different experience.

I also hear the food is really good in Singapore. Any recs from those of you who've been?

I also hear the food is really good in Singapore. Any recs from those of you who've been?
Hope you like seafood. It's everywhere in Singapore... All good, in my experaince.

Although it's a bit of a hassle we might move to a cheaper place for a night just to get a different experience.

If you are there more than a few days, this is a good idea regardless of price, with so many great choices you can't go wrong.

Visited Singapore in 1967 when my “cruise ship” (USS Horne (DLG-30)) spent a few days there following a line period in the Northern Tonkin Gulf. The ship had been authorized to divert slightly from its most direct track enroute Singapore so we could cross the equator, thus becoming Trusty Shellbacks. We docked at the Royal Navy base HMS Terror that I presume is no longer there. I most remember the Raffles (obligatory Sling included) and Tiger Balm Gardens, similar to but smaller than the similarly named one in Hong Kong. The Raffles reminded me of the Manila Hotel in the Philippines - both grand old hotels that were throwbacks to a colonial era.

Two places that I fondly remember.

Jumbo Seafood on the East Coast. Outside of the main city on the beach with an outdoor seating area looking out over the straight. Perfect place to dig into some messy chilli crab and enjoy the sunset.

The buffet at the Grand Hyatt (Straits?). I had breakfast and lunch, both good. I've heard it described as an upscale hawker center. Anthony Bourdain featured it in one of his shows.

Hope you like seafood. It's everywhere in Singapore... All good, in my experaince.

I personally recommend the East Coast Seafood restaurant area. We went there frequently. I heard good things about Newton Circus too, especially the BBQ'd stingray.

We're all about the hawker centres.
Our top 3 were probably the Newton Food Centre (Crazy Rich Asians had a scene there), Maxwell Food Centre which has a lot of great stalls, and the Chinatown Complex Food Centre which is pretty huge.

We still haven't gotten around to doing the chili crab and/or the black pepper crab even though it's a must eat. Always the next trip. :LOL:
+1 on the buffets. They also seem to have some amazing hotel buffets but we don't eat enough nowadays to justify going to one even with the fabulous variety.

I told DW that I wanted to stay there a few years ago. Alas, it was closed for renovations.

We opted for Ibis Bencoolan.

I’m not into shellfish, but I loved the chilli crab. I also recommend the Fish Head Curry, from Muthu’s. We’ve never stayed at Raffles, but did go have a Sling once, and walked around - it was fun.

Same here. Really love Fairmont. -- I feel it's just the right 'middle ground' without going Four Seasons expense - and certainly much nicer than what passes for full service Marriott/Hilton etc. I had some Accor points - got an email that they expire on 8/27. So yesterday, 8/26- around 3pm I get on the website - and it says " Points burn, 8/27" and took away 12,000 points. I dunno. - I thought 8/27 expiry - means on 8/26 I should have still had them.

The food is excellent. The Hawker stalls are famous (including the one with a Michelin star that is quite famous). But there are excellent sitdown restaurants at a wide range of price points in all sorts of cuisine (Malaysian, Indonesian, Cantonese, Indian are probably the strongest -- and local of course). Shopping and eating are the recreation in the country, so the best thrive and worst do not. Local specialties include chili crab, Hainan chicken rice, Char Kway Teow etc but you can find more mild and Western choices as well.

There is also an excellent top end -- part of the Raffles renovation was adding some new restaurants. La Dame de Pic and Osteria BBR. The two chefs are among the top five in the world. The rest of the city also has a very high end of dining with restaurants from top chefs from all over the world.

Back
Top Bottom