Slick 50 oil additive

Ready-4-ER-at-14

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our older car is somewhere around 180k miles and is a Toyota Camry. I've been running synthetic oil in it for the last year or two (not the original owner) and it runs well with a lot of power. Occasionally I could hear a little clicking which I assumed were the lifter tappets. It went away when the engine revved some.

I've used oil additives in the past and decided to check out the old favorites. I've used SeaFoam both in the gas and the oil in past as well as Marvels mystery oil (red and looks a bit like some transmission fluids).

Anyhow I was surprised to find there is a slick 50 additive specifically designed for synthetic oils.

So cut to the ending. The stuff is supposed to clean and lubricate (may even coat parts I forget). The noise went away immediately. Woo Hoo.

Not often an annoyance can disappear for $20. And yes it is still an old car, but was amazed to read the camry is one of 40 or 50 cars that can make it to 250k miles routinely. So 70k left at 4k miles per year I may only get another 17.5 years from my quiet beast of burden. : )

I've used Slick 50 on a number of new engines and it never hurt anything as far as I know. I'm not sure it help either, but I never saw any problems. Although minor tappet noise is pretty common, especially in older engines, I have successfully freed actual stuck lifters (uncommon) a few times with "some" additives but it's usually short lived. Once an engine starts making noise, there's a problem and it usually gets worse and sometime at the most inconvenient times.

Best of luck with it....

Last edited:
Oil is not a big deal and magic doesn't come in bottles. When I was racing, my engine builder's instructions were "Use whatever you can get for free." He had probably dynoed and track tested the majority of supposedly magic oils and additives.

There is some argument for synthetics these days because engines are being run a little hotter. It slightly improves volumetric efficiency. So where the OEM recommends synthetic I grit my teeth and comply.

Back
Top Bottom