Snow Sox for the car

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am wondering if anybody has used any of these snow sox type products?

Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK

I live in an area that does not get much snow, but when we get it driving is treacherous thanks to our many hills and the lack of proper snow removal equipment. We just don't get enough snow to be able to do it right.

Snow sox seems like a good way to handle this once or twice a year snow problem, if they work.

If the car is stuck, how does one get the sock between the tire and road/ice? The FAQ at the site did not explain.

If the car is stuck, how does one get the sock between the tire and road/ice? The FAQ at the site did not explain.

I am not certain about that. Also, since posting the original message I am wondering about state laws and the legality of these things.

I first have to say that I think treacherous driving should be avoided for safety reasons but if you are looking for a product to get yourself unstuck and moving again then I highly recommend Cherry Stone poultry grit. Welcome to Midwest Supply & Distributing

This stuff will "walk" my work truck out of the slipperiest inclines. If you a mired down in snow though it's best to have a shovel in the trunk to shovel away some of the snow around the tires.

Sorry to do this to you but I couldn't resist.....here in Kapolei, HI we don't know what they are.......Monday morning and having fun...... :)

Sorry to do this to you but I couldn't resist.....here in Kapolei, HI we don't know what they are.......Monday morning and having fun...... :)

Heh, heh. Just thinking the same thing. However, to be a good sport, I'll share with the group: Here, where it is always summer, it is also ALWAYS road-construction weather. We have "cone-zones" year round. There is no respite from the cones. Gaaaaaaaa!!!

Interesting idea, the sox, that's for sure. And the tip on the poultry grit is a good idea.

I've been wondering what all we're going to need in May for our road trip from Seattle to Skagway and back down through Canada. I guess a shovel and a big bag of something like that will be a good idea, just in case we run into fowl, er, foul weather at the upper end.

Interesting idea, the sox, that's for sure. And the tip on the poultry grit is a good idea.

I've been wondering what all we're going to need in May for our road trip from Seattle to Skagway and back down through Canada. I guess a shovel and a big bag of something like that will be a good idea, just in case we run into fowl, er, foul weather at the upper end.

Sarah, since you will need to drive through beautiful British Columbia, you will find some helpful information here:

DriveBC

Here is the route it suggests for your trip:

http://www.drivebc.com/directions.html?a=Seattle, WA, USA&b=Skagway, AK, USA&bi=0&bd=1&sr=1

Check out the webcams and maps for the routes you plan to drive as well as the survival kit information. Winter tires or chains are mandatory on certain routes from October 1 to April 30, but you should be OK in May. But make sure you have good tire treads and really good brakes!

Last edited:
Meadbh, that is a great site! I love the route planning guide with the interactive map! Thank you! Let's hope we don't freeze our southern tails off in May!

Edited to (for once) get Meadbh's name right! :)

Last edited:

:D It works really well. It's about 2-3 times larger than kitty litter (which does not work well) and sharp so it digs into the surfaces. It also absorbs heat from the sun and ground and you'll notice it melting the surface almost immediately.

Ashes from a cook stove work even better believe it or not. A farmer got me back to the middle of an icy road one day with a bucket of ashes. He said I was in luck because his wife had been baking pies all day. I thought he was crazy throwing those ashes, seemingly to the wind - but they worked!

Last edited:
Normally, in snowy weather I stay safely parked in the garage. That is one advantage of being retired. But, the reality is that at times snow can happen unexpectedly, so one may need a traction device to get home or get up a hill.

4WD pick-em-up truck. Will go in 2 1/2 feet but that's about the limit because it starts to bottom out there. But unless I really have to be out it stays in the garage.

Attachments

• GMC_4WD-1.jpg
    GMC_4WD-1.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 3
Just got new tires for 4x4 truck. I'm ready for winter, got my boots, gloves, hat, coveralls in the truck and ready to throw in several bags of water softener salt for weight.

I saw a suggestion on TV last night to use cat litter to help in getting traction if stuck on snow or ice. I know from experience that this will probably not work. Cat litter is baked clay, as long as it's dry it will work but as soon as it gets wet it becomes just as slippery as ice. If you're stuck in deep snow and the tire starts to spin the clay is immediately soaked and is useless.

Last edited:
A handful of gravel works well for getting traction under the wheels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom