So..........When will Exxon Let me Buy This in the USA??

TromboneAl said:

T-Al, I came across a forum discussing that article with the author. Can't find the link now, but the whole article fell apart very quickly under a little inspection.

A few points I recall:

The author *assumes* that the hummer will last 300,000 and the Prius only 100,000 - so everything on the Hummer gets amortized over 3x the lifespan, making everything related to the Prius look 3x worse. Why 300,000 vs 100,000? Because the prius batteries are warranted for 100,000. Hmmm, what is the warranty on a Hummer? Vehicles don't live past their warranty? So, pretty fishy from the get-go.

Next, the author makes a big calculation on the environmental impact of shipping the nickel from Canada to Japan and back to the USA for sale in the car. But, he assumes everything in a Hummer is locally home-grown, w/o any data to back it up.

Third, he focuses on that nickel mine (only a small portion of the nickel produced in that mine goes into Prius batteries) but does no research on any environmental impacts of materials that go into a Hummer. And, obviously, that mine has been in operation longer than Prius has been around.

Does he provide any references or show his calculations for peer review? Nope.

All in all, it is a hatchet job, and done with a pretty dull instrument. The guy just wants to defend his use of a Hummer.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom