SS Online Application, proof of identity in these times.

I guess I lucked out when applying for ACA. Don't remember any requirements.
I'll be applying for Medicare in February. I'll come back with an update.

Hopefully the healthcare marketplace has removed the requirement for naturalized citizens to prove it. The annoying thing when I applied was that there was a place to enter the Naturalization number off the certificate but the format acceptable on the screen was different to the format on my and my wife's certificates so we had to download copies for manual review which then took a few days.

My Medicare application was via telephone interview with the FBU in the US London embassy and the staff there may be more aware of the likelihood that expat US Citizens may have been Naturalized.

I just applied for my husband. I did it all online and attached scanned copies of all the requested documents. He was approved.

Actually for us born citizens the passport is an acceptable form of id in all cases Its just that there is a fear of putting all the information together might mean a more surveillance oriented society.

DW's Naturalization Certificate ended up being sufficient in our case once we actually spoke to someone. The Online forms ask for one thing, actual people on the phone another.

When I applied for Medicare in 2018, I was asked to provide originals of
Birth Certificate (born in a US Army Hospital in Austria, to American parents)
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Certificate of Citizenship

I brought these to my regional Social Security office in person, they took copies and handed the originals back to me.

I am under the impression that I will not need to repeat the process when I decide to apply for Social Security since they now have copies, but I could be wrong.

DW Applied on line for her SS. No issues there. However, they want to see her original Birth, Citizenship and Marriage Certificates. They say take them to the local office for review. None of our offices are open due to COVID.

We are going to call SS Monday and ask what to do. I wondered if anyone has had a similar issue and what they had to do.

We know any payments will be backdated, but are curious on what needs to be done to verify these documents.

My daughter who got married in September had to mail her originals to SS office to change her name. They were returned to her via mail. It took longer than usual, but everything was returned.

When I applied for Medicare in 2018, I was asked to provide originals of
Birth Certificate (born in a US Army Hospital in Austria, to American parents)
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Certificate of Citizenship

I brought these to my regional Social Security office in person, they took copies and handed the originals back to me.

I am under the impression that I will not need to repeat the process when I decide to apply for Social Security since they now have copies, but I could be wrong.

You are correct, you won’t need to produce them again. From an expat forum I discovered the advice is that as soon as you can you should go into a SS office and register these types of documents to save all this hassle decades later.

SS applicaion

Recently completed SS application and all went smoothly.......so far
We can make an appointment for a personal visit at our local office but the wait time for the appt can be long

My experience......If you have to call SS by phone, do it at 9:00 am EDT If not the wait time on hold can be "hours" no call back feature. In any case expect long hold times

If you want withholding held from you SS payments you will have to complete IRS form and send to SS office to coincide with application

Best of luck!

Is this citizenship proof also needed to apply for Medicare? I'm also naturalized and have no idea where my papers are at the moment.

In my case, yes. But passport was OK too.

I applied for my Medicare on 10/1/20, the first day I was eligible. I had to send my US passport to local SS office to verify my citizenship. It took a little longer for me to receive my Medicare card because of that, but it was approved after local office verified my passport.

In my case, yes. But passport was OK too.

I applied for my Medicare on 10/1/20, the first day I was eligible. I had to send my US passport to local SS office to verify my citizenship. It took a little longer for me to receive my Medicare card because of that, but it was approved after local office verified my passport.

So I did an in person visit. I handed him the US passport and the gentleman said to me "do you have any other paperwork". I did have some and pulled it out for him. I wonder what would have happened if I had just said "No',I don't"

Perhaps the passport was enough, I guess I'll never know!:LOL:

So I did an in person visit. I handed him the US passport and the gentleman said to me "do you have any other paperwork". I did have some and pulled it out for him. I wonder what would have happened if I had just said "No',I don't"

Perhaps the passport was enough, I guess I'll never know!:LOL:

I applied for Medicare about two weeks ago. Being naturalized the form I filled out asked for my naturalization date. Told them that I needed to estimate it since I didn’t have my papers. They called me two days later to just ask for my passport. No naturalization papers needed.

You are correct, you won’t need to produce them again. ......
I have just searched the entire house for my papers. I had my birth certificate, marriage & divorce papers all in 1 envelope. I can't find it. I can only find all my passports going back 40 yrs & Medicare card. I'm just hoping they don't need anything else to apply for SSA on my own records.

Alan, I certainly hope you're right as I'm trying to apply for SSA on my own record with very little

Last edited:
I applied for Medicare about two weeks ago. Being naturalized the form I filled out asked for my naturalization date. Told them that I needed to estimate it since I didn’t have my papers. They called me two days later to just ask for my passport. No naturalization papers needed.

Did you apply online? What documents were you asked for?
Did you have to upload any of them or you simply needed information from them to fill out the online form?

Calling SS tip

One of the SS phone agents gave me great advice, and a great tip. She said to call at an odd time. Middle of the night if necessary. She said they are open 24/7 and you call might be better appreciated when they are bored at an off time. I don’t know if this still holds true in 2021...give it a try and let us know.

I have just searched the entire house for my papers. I had my birth certificate, marriage & divorce papers all in 1 envelope. I can't find it. I can only find all my passports going back 40 yrs & Medicare card. I'm just hoping they don't need anything else to apply for SSA on my own records.

Alan, I certainly hope you're right as I'm trying to apply for SSA on my own record with very little
After waiting on hold for 30+ minutes I got through to a great person who stated my app info was frozen bc of a digit in my direct deposit account. Why couldn't it say that online?!? [emoji15]

Did you apply online? What documents were you asked for?

Did you have to upload any of them or you simply needed information from them to fill out the online form?

Yes. Applied online. They wanted to actually see and touch my passport so I had to mail it to the local office which is closed due to Covid. Just passport, nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom