Standup freezer in Florida garage - bad idea?

freezers could care less about room temperature/outside temperature. freezers remove the heat from the inside of the freezer, regardless of the outside temp. and yes, I have a freezer in my garage. it's a small chest type.

Hmm, that is the first time I ever heard this. I have always been told that using a refrigerator or freezer in high temps places stress on the compressor.

Good, because kitesurfer2's information is wrong, on several levels (and I assume he meant "couldn't care less"?).

Yes, freezers remove heat from the inside, but they have to 'dump' that heat to the outside. The colder it is outside, the more efficient that heat transfer is. Think "delta T". It's really common sense, as we observe it in our daily lives. A hot cup of coffee certainly cools faster if you put it outside on a winter day, versus a hot summer day.

And the other affect is insulation - a hot garage will conduct more heat through the walls into the freezer, causing it to run more often/longer. Clearly, if it is near freezing in our garage in winter, our freezer barely runs.

Be careful about adding insulation to the walls of a freezer, some of them use the cabinet to dissipate the heat.

As Texas Proud mentioned earlier, I've found that freezers seem to be designed to run about 50% duty cycle under normal conditions, so even if running 100% of the time on a hot day, the bill really can't do more than double over that time.

-ERD50

We have had both. Got tired on the chest freezer and we were not unhappy when our pre-owned unit packed it in. Really...it was much akin to dumpster diving to find anything.

Our current upright is so much better. We would never consider a chest freezer again. Just a like a fridge. Sure it cost a little more but so what. Over twenty odd years or so the difference is minor.

I guess we are weird but I think a chest freezer wins on a few key areas. It is a PITA to get to lower items but we have racks that fit in there that allow most of the same convenience as an upright.

The benefits, especially if you are in and out of it a lot is that you don't lose all the cold air, dumping out of the front when you open the door.

A bigger benefit is that they stay colder longer in power outage situations, which Florida is famous for. We always have 4, 1 gallon jugs of water stored in there for throwing in our camping cooler when we go camping. These help maintain the temperature if the power goes out.

Just a few counter thoughts. YMMV

Hmm, that is the first time I ever heard this. I have always been told that using a refrigerator or freezer in high temps places stress on the compressor.

The compressor would most likely be just fine. Most compressors for commercial refrigeration are up on the roof...and that gets MIGHTY hot.

Back
Top Bottom