String Trimmers

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm in the market for a new string trimmer. Can't decide if I want electric or gas engine type. Most importantly, I want one that has a feed that works well..Who has one they love?

I can't comment on one I love, but I can tell you what not to buy - the Milwaukee M18 battery powered one. I've been slowly converting my lawn equipment from gas to battery (chainsaw, leaf blower, and trimmer so far) and am very happy with the first two, but the string trimmer is a dud. It's heavier than the Echo gas trimmer it replaced, it's poorly balanced, and the trigger sucks. It's exhausting to use. On the plus side, the string feed works fine.

I'm sold on battery powered lawn implements, just read reviews carefully. Generally you want to pick a battery platform and stick with it since the batteries are pricey and can be moved between implements. Once you've got a couple batteries you can purchase the "tool only" for a reasonable price.

My old Craftsman died the other day when the spool wore through from bumping on the ground to feed line, and the spring inside flew into the Twilight Zone. It does not w*rk without that and it is no longer available.

I ordered a new on with a push button feed from Black and Decker and it arrives this week. Can't say how that works yet, but if they still make the bump feed type I'd avoid that. The Craftsman had a double decker spool so there were 2 strings, but it was a real pain to get the lines through the holes and the spool put back on without the string unwinding. I would not get that again if they make one like that.

I did not want gas, it's a mess and how long until the carb clogs up and needs repair? I looked at battery operated but they are much more expensive than corded ones and how long will the battery last anyway? So I went with corded again, A 100' cord for something like this does not have to be real heavy gauge and is not too expensive. Also bought an 1800' spool of line for about $30 otd to rewind my own.

I’ve had Stihl 2cyl gas for many years. Too powerful for 98% of my trimming. I usually lose control and scalp the grass so I only use it for heavy duty work like brush. Oil & gas mix is a pain. I mostly use Black+Decker 20V cordless now. It is easier to control for delicate trimming. It has a built in guide wheel and the head flips from horizontal to vertical. The first one I bought had pushbutton line advance that I liked better than the usual bump feed. The line feed broke after a while so they replaced with a redesigned version with automatic feed. I Blow That Dough by using prewound cartridges. B&D has a wide range of 20V tools but that mid level quality and reasonably priced. If I was starting from scratch I would consider Stihl or Ego cordless including their mower.

I can't comment on one I love, but I can tell you what not to buy - the Milwaukee M18 battery powered one.

This is perhaps why the caveat "YMMV" is so often used. I also have the Milwaukee M18 string trimmer (the one that also allows several other accessories like the edger and pole saw) and I like that just fine. No complaints at all with it.

To be clear, Milwaukee also makes a stand-alone string trimmer that will not also operate other tools so perhaps that is the one punkinhead is referring to. I have no experience with that one.

This is perhaps why the caveat "YMMV" is so often used. I also have the Milwaukee M18 string trimmer (the one that also allows several other accessories like the edger and pole saw) and I like that just fine. No complaints at all with it.

To be clear, Milwaukee also makes a stand-alone string trimmer that will not also operate other tools so perhaps that is the one punkinhead is referring to. I have no experience with that one.
I have standalone tools. I forgot that I also have an M18 pole saw. I also have an M18 drill and impact wrench and a very full complement of M12 tools. I love them all except the string trimmer.

Any thoughts on DeWalt cordless weed whacker? DH currently used Stihl corded and wants to go battery. We have DeWalt battery blower (w/2 batteries) that he's very happy with. Stihl battery gets high marks but we would like to stick with one brand as he'll need to use multiple batteries during whacking sessions and IIRC the battery cost more than the tool :facepalm:.

I have other Ryobi 40V tools, so I got theirs and am very happy with it.

I'm sold on battery powered lawn implements, just read reviews carefully. Generally you want to pick a battery platform and stick with it since the batteries are pricey and can be moved between implements. Once you've got a couple batteries you can purchase the "tool only" for a reasonable price.
I too am converting. Really hate having to "condition" the gasoline each fall-have forgotten before and had to have work done to repair the damage. No thanks.

Have a larger lot and bought a green/yellow ICE rider which I love (so I grit my teeth and condition the gas each fall), but I use a 19 inch electric push mower (Big Box Hardware own brand) for smaller areas the rider cannot reach. The 19 in. electric is very light-almost like a kids toy mower, and hangs on the wall. I love it and DW loves it. We occasionally mow the entire front (smaller) lawn with it. No muss/fuss-push the button to mow and easy recharge.
The sooner I can convert all to rechargeable electric, the better.

I have other Ryobi 40V tools, so I got theirs and am very happy with it.

That's the thing with the battery tools, unless there's good reason to change brands once you've "bought into" a particular battery brand there is every incentive to stay with that brand because it becomes a mess, not to mention expensive, to change brands.

I suppose the devil will be running a snow blower before we see all standard batteries.

ECHO, best gas trimmer I've ever owned. I had a few electric trimmers and didn't really like them.

Last edited:

I have it too and I like it a lot.

I like not smelling like gas and absorbing the fumes.

I am a huge fan of 4 stroke trimmers. They last forever and no need to oil/gas mix. Straight high-octane premium gas and change oil on it once a year. The other one I have had the best luck with is the brand name Weed Eater I get the Feather Light. It is an absolutely the best I have used and owned.

I forgot to add, the 4 stroke trimmer will last a long time over a 2 stroke. And the other huge difference the 4 stroke start so good.

Last edited:
It is a really good question. I have a black & decker battery string trimmer I have loved but it is on its last legs . Probably used it for 10 years.

Replacement? Hard to decide as I am hoping to also get a battery powered blower and hedge trimmer.

When I look at reviews of those I have a tough time settling on a single brand. Of course, reviews vary by how the tool is used. That makes it tough.

The only battery operated tool I have is the trimmer.

I've had gas string trimmers for years and I hate all of them. I bought a Makita battery powered last year and couldnt be happier. I trimmed 200 yards of fence line this morning plus around trees and edges on my six acre place on one charge without fooling with any damned two-stroke engines. I'll never go back.

I bought the three tool combo that included a blower and hedge trimmer along with the pole saw attachment for the string trimmer. Fantastic stuff!!

Echo Trimmer, Blower. Only use Truefuel. Prior Echo’s died after 25 years only used high octane and stabilizer before Truefuel. Never had an issue with bad gas even keeping the fuel over winter.

I'm a 2 stroke gas man. Husqvarna has been my go to for years. Trimmers, saws, blowers...
I mix up a gallon in the spring and feeds everything. normally go through a few gallons by fall. pour empty, run dry, and start with new again in the spring. Poor small chain saw never gets any time off....

I have a bigger Stihl 2 stroke with the straight shaft. It's way overkill for just grass, but I got it mostly for knocking down some brambles. It starts up every spring with no problems. The line feed always works, and I use the blade attachment for big brush jobs. I do get the no-ethanol gasoline for the fuel-oil mix, and I strongly recommend that for any small engine that could sit for a while. I'm very satisfied with it. However, if I was just going to do a small amount of grass trimming around the house I would surely go with an electric.

"Looking for one that a feed works well" -

Here you go: SKIL LT4823B-10 PWR CORE 20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091SV3S4L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I selected this trimmer b/c this has bump-feed string while most now have auto-feed, which dispenses 1/4" of string every time you hit the trigger. I think auto-feed refers to profit from string sales, and I've never had a problem w/bump feed.
Another great and unique string-related feature is the "Patented Twist Load Head" that allows you to manually reload up to 16' of bulk string very easily and less expensively than buying preloaded spools.
Brushless motor, 4.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery, 2 speeds, dual vs single cutting line, and included storage bracket. Also, Skil parent company is Chervon, which is same for the esteemed EGO products. That association can't hurt.
Assembly was EZ. You unfold the shaft, verify cable not pinched, then tighten 2 screws. Another 2 screws attach the guard, then just slide on and tighten down the handle.
On "LO" setting, this trimmer tears into the grass so aggressively that I don't know what I'd need "HI" for. Note that the trigger needs to be firmly held.
Had mine 2yrs, very happy with it.

Since no one answered I have a Dewalt string trimmer, also many 20v power tools including a pole pruner. All work well and I'm satisfied. Trimmer head is a double string but not difficult to load.
I bought an EGO chainsaw but haven't used it yet. Considered Dewalt but it would mean going to their 60v battery system.

Echo Trimmer, Blower. Only use Truefuel. Prior Echo’s died after 25 years only used high octane and stabilizer before Truefuel. Never had an issue with bad gas even keeping the fuel over winter.

+1

I'm very satisfied with all my cordless hand tools, and I'll make the jump to battery-powered yard tools at some point, so I'm following this thread.

Meanwhile, I have found the solution to the problem of bad gasoline gumming up small engines stored out of season. I buy the canned "engineered fuel" at either the big-box home improvement stores or sometimes Walmart. For things I run a lot, like the lawn tractor, they get one tank of the expensive stuff before being stored. Infrequent-use items like chainsaws get the pre-mixed canned fuel all the time, unless I'm doing a really big, multi-tank job. Then it's just the last tank.

With the fuel problem solved, it's hard to justify replacing any of the existing tools, but as they die I'll be looking for battery-powered replacements.

Back
Top Bottom