Suzy Rebuttal: Only Retire at age 70

Gotadimple

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's Friday and on Fridays, Money Magazine issues an email compendium of financial articles ("Retire with Money"). Some of the articles are by Money Magazine but most are not.

This week Walter Updegrave takes Suzy to task for stating no one should retire before age 70. A well rounded rebuttal you can read here:
Suze Orman Says Retirees Must Work Until They're 70. Really?

- Rita

Yeah, they should all waitress at the Buttercup Bakery in Oakland where she used to work when they get forced out of their jobs.

Why would anyone take anything Suzy says seriously anyway? Suzy is totally useless.

Her show was interesting and had some concepts that were good in a basic way. Good training for those who knew nothing about retirement. I am past the basic mode so I dismiss most of her principles.

Well I can stop trying to refresh the resume.
The four years driving around the country soaking in hot springs, reading novels and watching cartoons didn't seem to be bringing the big buck offers I had expected.

We talked about the original article here last week:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/thus-spake-suze-orman-88933.html

But no one in er.org is her target audience. She is offering ideas that tailored to ...every one else. And that includes many people who will have to plan to work till 70, especially if they are in their 40's or 50's today with no savings and average debt (ie, a huge number of folks).

I remember catching a few mins of one of her shows in my 20's. On PBS. At the time, the basic ideas she was proposing (no debt, saving well, giving away clutter, deciding what you can afford vs. what you should spend, etc., at the time was all new to me.)

She does a service, just none of us here need it any more. Maybe some of you all never did, but I for one was quite stupid at earlier points in my life, and benefited from listening - far from useless.

I lost a lot of respect for her when she outright trashed bond funds.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Now back to doing exactly what I want...

The original article was a feel good piece for the poor saps who have no choice but to keep working. Irrelevant to this forum

Actually the original piece was also talking to people like my spendthrift friend who says she will work til she dies. Suze is telling those people that 70 is a better target for many reasons and talks about how to work toward that. We here can disregard her advice.

I lost a lot of respect for her when she outright trashed bond funds.

I did years ago when she was doing TV commercials for Chevrolet/GM. I forget the specific details, but there was some sort of deal that Chevy was offering and she was pitching it as if taking advantage of it was a sound financial move (as in "financial advice").

Why would anyone take anything Suzy says seriously anyway? Suzy is totally useless.

Her info is suitable for many typical people, just not many on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom