Sweet spot for those considering RE

For those of you who retired early and looking back/advice for those who aspire:

1. What is the sweet spot in terms of age to balance freedom and the conventional need for meaning/purpose that comes from a career? Did you hit it or would you have triggered RE sooner/later?
Had to work to age 60 for retiree medical. Enjoyed my career choice, didn't enjoy the politics

2. What's your biggest regret in considering the decision to RE?
None that I can think of.

3. What was your biggest fear going into RE BESIDES having enough $?
Loss of daily social contacts. Have created some new ones, but still working on it. Being more of an introvert makes it a bit harder.

4. Looking back, was that fear realistic? If not, what took you by surprise that may be of value to those aspiring to take the leap?
Don't regret it for a minute. Enjoy every day. I have the time and energy to spend with Grandkids whenever. Ernie Zelinski book(How to retire happy, wild, and free) was very helpful.

We really like being retired. We semi-retired in our early / mid fifties, tapered off our hobby businesses after that. In hindsight I wish we had watched our expenses closer and retired as soon as we could, or at least both worked from home at hobby jobs earlier in life.

I can't answer the "sweet spot" question because I never felt a sense of "meaning/purpose" from my career. It was strictly a business relationship... they provided compensation in exchange for my services. Meaning and purpose in my life come from other activities. I retired as soon as the numbers worked.

No non-money fears going in and no regrets since.

I will say there was a surprise of sorts. DW decided to keep working 3 more years after I retired. She's been retired 2 years now, but she greatly misses the daily routine and social interaction. She doesn't have hobbies and interests like I do. So for two years now, she's been struggling to find a rhythm, while I'm as happy as a pig in slop. It's also the first time we've been together 24/7/365, which has definitely changed things a bit. So we're navigating all that, which was somewhat of a surprise to me. I wouldn't be shocked if she goes back to work.

1. While 55 would have been my sweet spot, DW retired then but I continued for another 8 years to feel comfortable we wouldn't end up having our kids support us in our old age since neither of us could count on a pension.

2. None, haven't looked back for a single day. Have talked to former boss a couple of times and he has asked if I have missed w*rk, NO I haven't - - - I actually enjoyed what I did and I just didn't want to have a set schedule anymore.

3. NONE had a spreadsheet and all the various calculators showing we had the minimum we needed to be "safe" in all but a black swan event.

4. No fear and every day is a Great Day!

1. Very situational... 55 in my view. 2. I didn't have the courage to retire sooner? 3. Would I be bored... hasn't been a problem at all. 4. No.

I was surprised that I could be so content puttering around not doing much of anything.

I’m retiring this summer at 53 and I love nothing more than puttering around all day not doing much of anything. I think I’m going to get along just fine with retirement. But getting bored and trying to fill my time has been my biggest fear, too.

Planning to retire in a year or less at 59/60.

While it's not far from our sweet spot, hindsight says that leaving during an early retirement window last summer would have worked. It now looks like I'll have to get through 2019 on the job.

While I'm having a good year at work so far, it looks like both my wife and I have stuck with the rat-race a little too long.

You could have retired last summer, but can't today? Why is that?

Retired at 58. 7 months later was offered a online college class to teach and still doing it 6 years later. DH got laid off at 53 and has worked a few contracts since. He should have work this spring until winter. He didn’t want to retire.

Back
Top Bottom