T-Mobile raising price?

Internal training documents? Yup.

Netflix announced another price increase. Our T-Mobile plan also includes Netflix and that discount figured in my choice to drop Verizon. It has to be pressuring the bottom line, and I wonder if this soon to be dropped, or at least reduced.
TMO is just paying the original rate when this perk was rolled out. They passed along the price increase last time Netflix raised their prices, now paying $4.50 for the "standard" Netflix plan. I expect they'll do the same for any further increases. If they do I'll most likely drop that perk as I really don't use it much.

TMO is just paying the original rate when this perk was rolled out. They passed along the price increase last time Netflix raised their prices, now paying $4.50 for the "standard" Netflix plan. I expect they'll do the same for any further increases. If they do I'll most likely drop that perk as I really don't use it much.

I don't think I'm paying anything for netflix thorugh TM, Found this on their website.

On October 18, 2023 Netflix announced pricing changes for its plans. The good news is that there are no changes for T-Mobile customers. For eligible customers, it’s still On Us!

We’ve been paying extra for the 4K Netflix plan. It started out at $5 and has gone up a little over the years as Netflix raised prices, now $7 and change. Still a big break compared to paying direct.

I don't think I'm paying anything for netflix thorugh TM, Found this on their website.

On October 18, 2023 Netflix announced pricing changes for its plans. The good news is that there are no changes for T-Mobile customers. For eligible customers, it’s still On Us!
Perhaps depends on what plan you are on. I'm on the "One" plan, 2 screen Netflix) and their website shows as $4.50. Other plans have 1 screen for $0.

Or check your bill and see if you are surprised. Screenshot_20231025-184627.jpg

Perhaps depends on what plan you are on. I'm on the "One" plan, 2 screen Netflix) and their website shows as $4.50. Other plans have 1 screen for $0.

Or check your bill and see if you are surprised. View attachment 47503

We have Magenta 55+ with 3 lines and have the Basic Netflix plan. Nothing on my T mobile bill and not getting billed by Netflix. I watch it pretty much, so even if they do charge a nominal fee, I'd keep it.

We have Magenta 55+ with 3 lines and have the Basic Netflix plan. Nothing on my T mobile bill and not getting billed by Netflix. I watch it pretty much, so even if they do charge a nominal fee, I'd keep it.

Can you "upgrade" the Netflix plan? I think we currently use the highest 4K family plan around $22 per month. We're looking to maybe change cell phone service and getting a nice Netflix discount would help.

I've heard nothing (yet?) on a one 55+ plan. Not at the lowest price I've heard of, but at $60/month for two lines.

PatrickA5...Pretty sure you can upgrade, and you would pay the difference between the TM allowance and plan cost. I would check with TM for details. Maybe someone who has upgraded Netflix through TM can weigh in.

Can you "upgrade" the Netflix plan? I think we currently use the highest 4K family plan around $22 per month. We're looking to maybe change cell phone service and getting a nice Netflix discount would help.

We are on the T-Mobile Magenta 55+ and it includes Netflix Basic (1 screen).

Options to upgrade are Netflix Standard (2 screens) for $6.50+tax/mo.

Or Netflix Premium UHD (4 screens) for $11.00+tax/mo.

Is UHD their version of 4K?

We've had this T-Mobile plan for 2 years and I forget about using the Netflix. I should do better with that!

That explains it - from the details I had posted from TMo's site - Magenta is a free Netflix.

I have a One plan and paying $210/mo (or less) for 11 lines. Looking at the upgrade options on Tmo, I'd pay $110 more to get Magenta plan. I think I'll keep my One plan and pay for $4.50/mo for Netflix Standard (2 screens). :cool: If they increase the price I may just drop it as I really don't get much use from Netflix.

Yes, you pay some extra but still get a considerable discount. We’re paying $7.63 per month for the 4K. We have Magenta Max 55+ 2 lines.

And you can change you add-ons like that at any time month-to-month.

Last edited:
Just got an email from t-mobile that our free Netflix is being changed to the plan with ads. :mad:

If you're getting the free Netflix be prepared.

Looks like the free Hulu is only for Go5g plans which are their most expensive plans. We're on Magenta Max 55 or something like that.

I'm not on Go5g, I'm on One Plan. Perhaps the Max55 not eligible, not sure. It wasn't clear to me who was or wasn't included. But I received a text several days ago from TMo to sign-up for Hulu. As I had an active account with Disney+/Hulu I am waiting for that to cancel at next billing period to sign-up. As a sidenote, it was a double win for me as Spectrum informed me I now get Disney+ for free. So replaced one paid bundle with two free offers. :dance:

In the Terms of Contract for the T-Mobile free Hulu it says " After expiration of the 12-month promotional period, consumer action will be required to continue complimentary Hulu (With Ads) subscription". Any idea what that means by consumer action?

In the Terms of Contract for the T-Mobile free Hulu it says " After expiration of the 12-month promotional period, consumer action will be required to continue complimentary Hulu (With Ads) subscription". Any idea what that means by consumer action?
That sounds to me like they're saying you will have to pay for it. "Consumer action". lol

Maybe it will mean you need to extend your contract to keep getting it free (with ads) or they are still deciding what action they will require.

Last edited:
We are on Magenta Max 55+ and did receive the free year of Hulu. We received a text message about the benefit. The link to activate didn’t work so I called customer service. The rep sent me a new link and it works immediately. The fine print of the deal mentioned that once the year is up,we will have to pay. Our plan is to enjoy the free year and then cancel.

But it says "to continue complimentary Hulu (With Ads) subscription" which sounds to me like we (the consumer) need to do "something" and the free Hulu continues but what is that "something" we would have to do?

We got our new T-Mobile bill yesterday. Yep, it jumped ~$9 as of Jan 29. We were paying $7 for premium Netflix now we are paying $16.

We’re on the Magenta Max 55+ plan.

Basically T-Mobile gives a $6.99 discount per month on Netflix plans, so now:
  • the $6.99 Netflix plan with ads is still free via T-Mobile
  • the $15.49 Standard (ad-free) Netflix plan is now $8.50
  • and the $22.99 Netflix Premium plan is now $16
I wonder how Netflix will do with this big jump in prices and ads at the lowest tier. But I guess other streaming services have already ads and have raised prices.

Last edited:
We got our new T-Mobile bill yesterday. Yep, it jumped ~$9 as of Jan 29. We were paying $7 for premium Netflix now we are paying $16.

We’re on the Magenta Max 55+ plan.

Basically T-Mobile gives a $6.99 discount per month on Netflix plans, so now:
  • the $6.99 Netflix plan with ads is still free via T-Mobile
  • the $15.49 Standard (ad-free) Netflix plan is now $8.50
  • and the $22.99 Netflix Premium plan is now $16
I wonder how Netflix will do with this big jump in prices and ads at the lowest tier. But I guess other streaming services have already ads and have raised prices.

There’s an interesting opinion in today’s WSJ that claims that shrinkflation is not being taken into account when the government figures the CPI. For example, Amazon Prime now charges about $3 to skip commercials when previously that was part of the package. The writer claims that is not considered in the CPI. Basically, Prime is now $36 a year more to get the same level of service people received last year. Hmmm…….

One explanation could be that government measures of inflation don’t fully reflect rising prices. Sure, headline inflation is nearing the Federal Reserve’s 2% target, but these statistics can be deceiving.

Shrinkflation, paying the same price for noticeably smaller quantities of the same thing, isn’t appearing only in the grocery aisle. It’s everywhere. Americans may be paying around the same prices as they did a year ago, but they are often getting less.

Take airline fares, which the Labor Department’s consumer-price index shows fell 9.4% during 2023. That sounds nice, until you consider that the calculation heavily weighs the “ lowest available fare” for a trip—typically offered by budget airlines, which require customers to pay more to bring a carry-on and select a seat in basic economy. Flyers also get less legroom and a charge for beverages or snacks.

Last edited:
There’s an interesting opinion in today’s WSJ that claims that shrinkflation is not being taken into account when the government figures the CPI. For example, Amazon Prime now charges about $3 to skip commercials when previously that was part of the package. The writer claims that is not considered in the CPI. Basically, Prime is now $36 a month more to get the same level of service people received last year. Hmmm…….

Shrinkflation is a real consumer issue. That article was poorly written, though, and its conclusions are mostly incorrect. It is worth pointing out it’s an opinion page column, which relieves it from typical journalistic constraints.

The BLS does take into consideration shrinkflation in the CPI calculation. When it measures prices of goods, price per quantity is measured. The example of substitution (beef vs chicken) is simply incorrect. The example of budget air travel is worse, not even related to inflation.

Netflix and Amazon introducing ads is, in effect, a price increase, and therefore something that should be included when measuring inflation, even if the impact is minuscule. Does the BLS include this? I don’t know. OTOH, Amazon has added many services that have commercial value to Prime, so it goes both ways.

For example, Amazon Prime now charges about $3 to skip commercials when previously that was part of the package. The writer claims that is not considered in the CPI. Basically, Prime is now $36 a month more to get the same level of service people received last year. Hmmm…….

$36 a year more - you can correct your original post.

There’s an interesting opinion in today’s WSJ that claims that shrinkflation is not being taken into account when the government figures the CPI. For example, Amazon Prime now charges about $3 to skip commercials when previously that was part of the package. The writer claims that is not considered in the CPI. Basically, Prime is now $36 a month more to get the same level of service people received last year. Hmmm…….
The government figures for inflation have always been well below the real inflation I've seen. And I've noticed plenty of shrinkflation. Just another reason why prices are even higher than meets the eye initially. You even see that with services as others have mentioned before on this forum. You pay more, and you get less in return.

I don't use Prime, simply not worth it. Another thing Amazon did recently was raise the minimum order required for free shipping if you don't have Prime.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom