Talking to 'regular folks'

If I had a job where I had so little to do that I got bored then I might not feel the need to RE.

I have been in situations where I was very busy at work and yet also bored at the same time, It can happen if the work is not challenging, enjoyable or interesting.

with regards to the phrase "you're lucky", I actually don't have a problem with it, because well to be honest, I AM lucky to be where I am, at this point in life. While sacrificing, living below my means, being smart enough to invest, think long term, etc, played a significant role in it, there are just so many things that could have gone wrong over the years, to derail it. For instance, I got out of a bad marriage before it truly destroyed me. I've never been fired, or laid off. And some things were just lucky timing.

What I REALLY hate is when someone says "you don't realize how lucky you are." That phrase will usually get you cussed out, and something along the lines of "when I want to hear what you have to say, I'll write the script and give you time to rehearse it properly."

Oh, as for boring jobs, they're not always what they're cracked up to be. My job is pretty boring sometimes, with a lot of down time. The saving grace is they've always been pretty flexible with my schedule, letting me work longer some days, take shorter days, a day off here and there, and so on. As long as the two-week total comes out to 80 hours, between actual work and vacation time, and I don't go over 10 hours in any single day. Actually, if we hit 10 hours too often, they'll start to notice, so I try to keep it around 9.5 max.

I was seriously considering retiring in early 2020. I thought my invested assets were where I was comfortable, and figured I could make it. But then COVID hit. I lost about 1/3 over the course of a month. And they had us start working from home. The investments came back pretty quickly, and I finished 2020 with a pretty nice overall gain, so I probably could have still retired. But, working from home helped breathe new life into it.

I'm still bored at work. But at least now, at home, when I get bored and have some downtime, I can find something around the house to keep me occupied. It sort of feels like stuck in limbo, between working and being retired. I do lose track of what day of the week it is sometimes. Heck, the main reason I know today is Saturday is because "Petticoat Junction" came on after "Barnaby Jones", instead of "Highway Patrol" :p

It doesn't feel like being totally retired, because work still has some control over my time, and is still a presence in my life. But, it still feels a helluva lot better than when I had to go in the office 5 days a week!

When I was 58, I used to get the "What do you do?" question a lot. I just said I was retired. Some people pressed further and asked how. I just told them that I saved enough $ to retire.

Now 68, nobody asks anymore. Now most people assume that I'm retired.

When I was 58, I used to get the "What do you do?" question a lot. I just said I was retired. Some people pressed further and asked how. I just told them that I saved enough $ to retire.

Now 68, nobody asks anymore. Now most people assume that I'm retired.

I'm 74 and was quite amused when I had a contractor over to do some work earlier this year and he asked me what I did for a living. He seemed shocked when I told him I'm retired. Can't believe I look that young for my age:LOL:

I'm 74 and was quite amused when I had a contractor over to do some work earlier this year and he asked me what I did for a living. He seemed shocked when I told him I'm retired. Can't believe I look that young for my age:LOL:

It's been a while, but we had a contractor in to look at refacing our kitchen cabinets. He asked if I "lived here with my mother." DW let him know that I lived here with my wife. Contractor did not get the j*b. (I guess as a younger guy, he was reacting to DW's silver hair and my brown hair.)

We had a similar reaction from a doctor who came out to tell me my mother was doing fine following a minor office procedure. DW was not amused when she heard the story.

I retired at 47. I am 52 (today in fact). I struggle with how to answer the, "what do you do?" question.
My wife thinks every answer sounds snotty. I'm thinking of saying I won the little lotto a few years back. (Reality being we made lots and saved more never buying the BMW or McMansion)
I have jury duty coming up. Is retired even accurate?
Thank you for your time and thoughts.

The nice thing about being retired is that you're not beholden to anyone and you don't have to care what other people think of you. Just answer truthfully that you're retired. If they have a problem with that answer, that's their problem.

I retired in my mid 40s (and I was very youthful looking) and used to dance around that question in the first few years of my retirement. Now I just tell people I am retired when asked, and I don't give a second thought (or a bleep) to other people's reaction.

I started out saying I was a retired CEO which I landed from my business process engineering practice. They would ask what company sometimes.

After blank stares I changed it to Private Portfolio Manager. The follow-up question was who for and I said confidential.

I never thought of that. I was President of our S Chapt. family business until it was sold to the 3rd generation (now an LLC.) I could have said I was given a golden parachute as President of my own company. That sounds really impressive. Of course, that and a dollar will buy you a Hershey bar (the small one.):cool:

If you're somewhat stealthy you may choose something simple like "taking time off". When applicable, I mention 1 or more of my current volunteer assignments. No need to draw public attention to the fact that you're very well off. If you're 52 and ER you are "wealthy" in many people's eyes.

If you're somewhat stealthy you may choose something simple like "taking time off". When applicable, I mention 1 or more of my current volunteer assignments. No need to draw public attention to the fact that you're very well off. If you're 52 and ER you are "wealthy" in many people's eyes.

And, likely, you are wealthy in terms of your assets - just not necessarily in your spending. With most people living pay check to pay check, the person/couple/family with $1 million would seem wealthy indeed. Of course, that wealth would only support roughly $40K/year spending in the first year.

"Wealth" and "Wealthy" are concepts we've argued about here for years, so your neighbors would certainly have different opinions about you retiring early. You're probably right not to emphasize that aspect of your life.

Heh, heh, one more advantage of being old is that you don't have to come up with "excuses" as to why you no longer w*rk. That's one of the few advantages!:LOL:

I'll say again what I've said before. Other people do not think about you nearly as much as you think they do. They have their own problems and their worries to give your life much thought. Don't lie to people. That is what they will remember. Just be honest without being smug and change the subject.

+1000

Just say "I'm retired" and leave at that. Do not do something like dance around like Scrooge McDuck exclaiming "I'm filthy rich, bow to me, you peasants!", that surely will not bring you anything good :) . Be honest, straightforward, and brief.

I just tell people I'm retired, I was a software engineer, its not a surprise that type of job is easy to retire early on If they ask why I didn't continue to make tons of money, I usually just tell them I was burned out and had decided to take time to do something that I enjoyed more and then I can talk about my hobbies and charity, I'm on a few boards, etc. which I'd rather talk about.

I've been REd almost 20 years now and I've never been faced with the question.
Really? I FIRED at 55, and I get asked all the time what I do (neighbors, doctors, people at church, friends, etc.). I usually say "I used to be a ____________". If they push further, I say I'm retired, which is usually followed by the response: "You're lucky". I usually let it stop there.

I retired at 42, I’m 46 now and I look closer to early 40s. I usually give a “I’m on an extended break” , “not currently working right now” both of which are true. Or I coach my kids sports, say I used to work in finance but still figuring out what I want my next chapter to look like. Those come off as much less pompous than “I’m retired”

Last edited:
I retired at 47. I am 52 (today in fact). I struggle with how to answer the, "what do you do?" question.
My wife thinks every answer sounds snotty. I'm thinking of saying I won the little lotto a few years back. (Reality being we made lots and saved more never buying the BMW or McMansion)

Tell them you are rich and don’t need to work.

When I answer the "What did/do you do?" question, I truthfully respond: I was a geophysicist. Most people act like they know what that is, and say "Okay!" and I can see their eyes glazing over. If they follow up and ask "What exactly is a geophysicist?", I give a detailed explanation and most of the time lose them after the second sentence...

I retired at 55 but I looked closer to 50. When asked, I told people I do volunteer work, which was (and is) true. If pressed further, I told them I got sick of chasing money and so I work for free now. A few would still press, so my snotty answer was "when you win the game, stop playing".

I turned 63 this year and nobody asks anymore.

My reply in each case is just "I'm retired." If someone has sincere questions about, gee, what do you do all day, I answer honestly. If someone asks and looks down their nose at me, I really don't care.

Retired at 52, very proud that I was able to do it. Going on 10 years now..... Seldom did people ask, but when they did.... I would just say I am retired .... Then if anything else was said about being retired so at that age, I would say, that I am very fortunate

Last edited:
Say "I am a personal financial manager for a select number of families" (as in one)
or say you are retired. I know a couple who retired in their 40's (established and then sold a company) and are now in their late 80's

Tell them you play pickleball.

My father's generation asked "what do you do?" Mine doesn't. My kids generation cares even less in personal situations.

Casual acquaintances, and sometimes even F&F, tend to speak in code when they know the real words will make them seem smaller.

Here are some translations:

"You look too young to be retired" = "I wish I could retire/have retired when I was/looked that age".

"I would get bored if I retired" = "I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could even come close to affording to do it".

"You are lucky" = "Now how come I never got that lucky?".

And so on. In other words, envy. Stay away from those people is my motto.

As for the "what do you do?" question, this is nosiness combined with "let me see if I can make that work for me". Basically, also envy.

My dad's favorite saying when us kids got too nosy: "Ask no questions and you shall be told no lies".

But if lying bothers you, I'd say "I'm an independent consultant".
For what? "Private security matters".

Both are true statements; it's just that they are true for nearly everybody, all the time.

Good one.

My HR director actually told me that I'd get tired of sailing my boat all summer, fall at my apartment in Paris and skiing the Alps all winter. I said "Jim, listen to yourself for a minute" and left it at that.

LMAO!

I retired at 55. "Really what do you do now?" "I do a lot of nothing!" "Eh"? " Watch the news !in bed when I wake up, breakfast I watch the news,,CNBC, Check email & a lot of nothing...I repeat most of these all day

I am cutting back on reading news. It is all the same dipsticks and disasters as yesterday and last year. :facepalm:

As long as I'm not dead yet, I think I'll go for a morning walk!
I don't want to go on the cart.

When I get back in 1/2 an hour or an hour, I have an appetite.
If I sat home reading news, I would probably hurl. :LOL:

"Ask no questions and you shall be told no lies".

Have not remembered Moms line in a while.

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies. :D

Back
Top Bottom