Tax prep software offers

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
H & R Block just went me an offer of Fed Delux + 1 State for $39 ending Oct 31.

My experiance is that this offer will surface again before Jan 1.

H & R Block just went me an offer of Fed Delux + 1 State for $39 ending Oct 31.

My experiance is that this offer will surface again before Jan 1.

HRB is always on sale on Black Friday. That’s when I usually buy it.

Wait for Amazon, I usually pay 18-22 for deluxe +state (H&R block).

Too early to even begin thinking about tax software.

Never to early to plan for the inevitable. Just downloaded IRS Pub 6744 that contains the IRS VITA test questions. Must take the VITA test to be a certified IRS volunteer tax properer. This will be my 5th year.

Too early to even begin thinking about tax software.
:LOL: I'm 95% done for tax year 2023... With a little forward thinking/estimating. My goal this year was to just stay under the first tier IRMMA.

I'm already planning the "details" of my 2024 taxes which will include RMD's for the first time. :mad:

Last edited:
I've been getting Turbotax free from Fido for a while.

Never to early to plan for the inevitable. Just downloaded IRS Pub 6744 that contains the IRS VITA test questions. Must take the VITA test to be a certified IRS volunteer tax properer. This will be my 5th year.

After retiring I worked for H&RB for five years and VITA for two years as a site supervisor. With my SS, IRA distributions, CG and dividends I can knock out my taxes in less than an hour, with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back. For me, it's too early but your milage may vary and may the force and standard deductions be with you.

I always wait for the Amazon deep discount (38% off) plus $10 gift card for TurboTax Premier or Deluxe. Usually comes in Jan or Feb. I won’t have all my info until then anyway. I guess I’ll look on Black Friday this year, not against buying earlier at a great price.

Last edited:
I was completely happy with FreeTaxUSA last year... not playing the discount game this year at all and will use it again as long as I can. I even considered upgrading to "Deluxe" for $8 even though I didn't need it just to pay them something so it keeps worthwhile for them to offer the free package.

Getting the H&R coupon emails though.

The thread popped up early this year!

Until I smell Turkey cooking, tax software is a dim memory.

I'm already looking at mine because I've been making quarterly estimated payments and realized I've WAY overpaid, even throwing in estimated capital gains distributions. Lower-than-average investment results will do that. So, I don't need to make the payment I was going to make on 12/15.

I've been using TurboTax but I'm a bit disgruntled because now they REQUIRE you to create an account in order to use it. Since I e-file I'm sure they've scraped all my details and monetized them anyway, but I may look elsewhere. Fidelity hasn't offered me any deals so I usually buy for Costco.

Ah, yes. The annual kerfuffle about a free copy of TurboTax.

Will Fidelity offer it again this year?
Who will they offer it to?
How can one find out if they are eligible for it?
When will it become available if eligible?

I think I can confidently predict at least 100 related posts over the next couple of months. :LOL:

I think I can confidently predict at least 100 related posts over the next couple of months. :LOL:

I'll get the ball rolling ...

It is free copy of Turbotax from Fidelity an actually disc or download? Or is it Turbotax online tax prep only?

What version (Deluxe + State?) of Turbotax is the Fido freebie?

Is it something Fidelity hands out like candy to account holders? Or do I have to call and speak to an actual person?

It's a download. And nobody really knows what criteria they use. If you're part of the in crowd, you can see a notice on your login page.

It's a download. And nobody really knows what criteria they use. If you're part of the in crowd, you can see a notice on your login page.

Okay. Thanks. Guess I'll have to login when the time arrives :).

I could probably get it for free or certainly at a huge discount. But I want it as soon as it comes out and I am willing to pay up. If I knew I could get it for free or discounted someplace, sure I'll take it, but for less than $100, it's still a deal at once a year, IMO. I'm not going to purposely look for such a deal. Juice just ain't worth the squeeze to me.

Last edited:
I'm already looking at mine because I've been making quarterly estimated payments and realized I've WAY overpaid, even throwing in estimated capital gains distributions. Lower-than-average investment results will do that. So, I don't need to make the payment I was going to make on 12/15.

I've been using TurboTax but I'm a bit disgruntled because now they REQUIRE you to create an account in order to use it. Since I e-file I'm sure they've scraped all my details and monetized them anyway, but I may look elsewhere. Fidelity hasn't offered me any deals so I usually buy for Costco.

Although I routinely make my 4th estimated payment in December, the real deadline for that payment is January 15th. You probably know that anyway, but I was just mentioning it. :)

I used TT last year and I don't create an account. I assume you mean the horrid nag that comes up first thing - I could still buy pass it on the desktop version anyway. (I had the CD)

Although I routinely make my 4th estimated payment in December, the real deadline for that payment is January 15th. You probably know that anyway, but I was just mentioning it. :)

I do know that, but thanks. I've learned a ton about taxation from the people here and just about nothing form the "year-end tax tips" articles that start to pop up around now.

In the past, the Fido TurboTax deal didn't come until after the first of the year, IIRC. I want it by early December so that I can decide how much of my traditional IRA I can convert with minimal tax consequence.

And maybe this got mentioned elsewhere -- I recently received an email from TurboTax stating that you will now have to log into your Intuit account before installing TT. This will make it harder to make use of your five installations by giving one to your brother-in-law. BIL can still install a copy on your spare computer or on his own, I suppose, but he'll have to use your Intuit account to do so. I suppose you could have him do that and then change your password, but I'll bet it'll be required again later.

Back
Top Bottom