Tax prep software offers

Why does everyone keep saying I need in Intuit account? I didn't use one in Feb. I bought TT deluxe on CD? Trying to figure out the change/issue/whatever? I just skip the pages where it nags. I am guessing you only need if you download but IDK.

I may not use TT again if that is true but it certainly wasn't for me this time. The company irritates me a bit as it is so I don't mind giving money to someone else next time.

I do realize they have my data anyway . . .

Last edited:
Ah I do see one thing - you need it to import 1099s. But I don't do that anyway as it is not available to me from my institutions as far as I know (or care).

Oh I just read on bogleheads they imply you should do 5 of your own returns . . . not returns for family. Well I only do mine anyway who has 5 tax returns for themself only. . . .

Last edited:
I received the following email on Oct 18th:

Hi there,

We’re reaching out to our TurboTax Desktop customers to share an important change to how you’ll install and activate your software this upcoming 2023 tax season.

To install and activate TurboTax 2023 on your computer, you’ll be prompted to sign in to your existing Intuit Account (or create an account if you don’t already have one) before entering your license code. The software won't install unless you sign in to your Intuit Account online. Importantly, your product license code can only be associated with one Intuit Account.

Your license code will then be stored in your Intuit Account, should you need to install the software again.

If you forgot your user ID or password, or need additional assistance logging in to your Intuit Account, this article will provide you with helpful steps.

For more information on product installation and activation, go to TurboTaxHelp.com.

Thanks for being part of the TurboTax family.

Warm regards,

The TurboTax Team

Hmm. I kind of you know just kept my activation code in case I somehow needed it for a new computer. . . but the other companies look no better in terms of privacy.

All that free tax software they hid to make sure people could not find it never impressed me about Intuit. . . .

I didn't get email cause I don't ever sign up on that first page. I just keep skipping so it is all making sense now.

The Fidelity TT download process has changed over time. No idea who qualifies, nor does my personal Fidelity rep. A big secret.

For last year's copy, the process was almost hidden. It wasn't free for me for the downloaded file, but only costs $5. Of course, they will probably change the process again for the 2023 version...

***************************************************************************************
As of March 2023, TurboTax Premier from Fidelity for $5 can be found at the bottom of my Fidelity Portfolio Summary Page.
***************************************************************************************

1) No longer free. The downloaded Premier version costs $5. On the Fidelity home page, search for TurboTax.
2) In the results window, click on the link: “TurboTax Discount – Fidelity”. Then click on the link: “Get started now”, then “Continue”.
3) Choose the Premier download at $0.
4) Don’t choose the next step. From the top menu bar, choose “Do it yourself”. Then “Doing your taxes with a “CD/Download”.
5) Scroll down until you see “Premier, Buy Now” for $5.
6) Delete the “TurboTax 2021 download for $110”. Finish buying TurboTax 2022 Premier for $5.
7) Click on “No Thanks” on the next screen. Enter your info. and buy for $5. Save the License Code and download the new TurboTax program.

Inuit cracking down and possibly peeving off customers? A bit of deja vu. This could get interesting :popcorn:.

Intuit really should disclose this requirement for an account on the third party site where they sell the software IMO. Guess we will see if they do. Probably buried in a 40 page privacy policy where you give up the rights to your first child too

I was completely happy with FreeTaxUSA last year...

Ditto!

I switched to FreeTaxUSA from TaxAct and my SO switched from TurboTax.
It worked great for both of us.

I was dreading entering all the stuff TaxAct imported from the prior year, but FreeTaxUSA was able to read the prior year’s PDF and pull in most of that stuff.

My SO entered her info in both TT and FreeTaxUSA. Same answers. :)

I’m a fan.

Ditto!

I switched to FreeTaxUSA from TaxAct and my SO switched from TurboTax.

It worked great for both of us.

I was dreading entering all the stuff TaxAct imported from the prior year, but FreeTaxUSA was able to read the prior year’s PDF and pull in most of that stuff.

My SO entered her info in both TT and FreeTaxUSA. Same answers. :)

I’m a fan.

Checked out FreeTaxUSA. I’m sold. I was very dissatisfied with HRB last year because it didn’t have all the forms for my EV credits. FTU is heavy on text but I think I can live with it. Not paying a cent to HRB anymore.

Looks like there will be a pilot of direct efile with the IRS coming to a few states for 2024

https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/direct-file

Wonder if this has the tax software folks shaking in their boots? Gotta grab all my personal info now (that they don't already have)? I would imagine it will be a long time before it is ready for prime time.

Looks like there will be a pilot of direct efile with the IRS coming to a few states for 2024

https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/direct-file

Wonder if this has the tax software folks shaking in their boots? Gotta grab all my personal info now (that they don't already have)? I would imagine it will be a long time before it is ready for prime time.
I'd certainly be interested in trying that when it's available.

In 2024 you're going to need to be logged in to Intuit to install and activate the software.

The key will be stored in your Intuit account.

When you install and activate, the key will be passed from Intuit to the installer. That's what I'm assuming.

I'll follow this thread and look into other options.

The part I don't like is that Intuit *really* makes it difficult to find and do a download to have Turbotax on your local computer; especially if trying to get the Fidelity free offer. They want you to use their online version. No way I am using the online version. Not just the potential hacking aspect, but I like to be able to run different scenarios to see the effect. I can do that with it on my computer easily.

I like Turbotax, don't like Intuit.

If you have malware on your computer, the downloaded version is likely more dangerous than the online version.

Ditto.

I thought Intuit made its SW license terms subject to just one computer years ago.

I thought it was pretty common, the software is for 1 computer and can't be passed down the street.

I maybe (probably) be switching to intuit tax software this year as H&R Dummies don't allow e-file if you carry forward foreign tax credits.

Fortunately, I do my tax software on a laptop, so I can just bring that to relatives houses to do their taxes.

For years I bought TT on a CD from our local Walmart but a few years ago I started downloading it from the "TT web site". I never bought it through a third party to download (e.g. Amazon) but getting it direct from TT has been pretty dang easy. I have my own copy on my PC to run "endless" what if's, off line, and when I'm ready I can efile or print off my return to send it in VIA snail mail. I also get the option to download updates each time I launch the app on my PC. I setup an account at TT just to make future purchases easy but they really don't have much info on me except my CC for billing. I may not get the best price/discount when buying direct through TT but downloading is simple and smooth.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty common, the software is for 1 computer and can't be passed down the street.

I maybe (probably) be switching to intuit tax software this year as H&R Dummies don't allow e-file if you carry forward foreign tax credits.

Fortunately, I do my tax software on a laptop, so I can just bring that to relatives houses to do their taxes.

My guess is that Intuit Turbotax suffered from Netflix password syndrome.

I've bought it early in the past but have been more than frustrated with their early versions not being accurate. Therefore I'm less likely to buy early.

I'll make a dummy run using a copy of last year's return in last year's software to get an estimate that's close enough for some projections.

To be honest, since the ACA cliff is not currently enforced, I do breathe easier. I might revisit this if the cliff is back in play in the future.

Having to create an account is annoying, but all you need to do is create a dummy/garbage account. If necessary, use a throwaway email account, or an alias with your actual email provider.

Like others, I have always skipped the first screen where they want you to log in. I only bought the program to do my taxes, I didn't want to create a relationship.

Quite possibly they will remove that requirement when/if enough people complain and refuse to buy TT in favor of other tax software. Wouldn't be the first time that a company got a "bright" idea and ended up stepping on their own d1ck.

OTOH, maybe I'll buy TT from a few stores and then -- after opening the box -- return it for the reason that I did not want to open an account with Intuit.

Maybe if Intuit gets a few thousand returned items they'll rethink it.

I seem to remember a similar boneheaded move they or some other tax software pulled a few years ago that they had to reverse when customers revolted.

I don’t think they’re going to walk this one back. Think of Netflix. Companies have to do something about software/password sharing. I don’t mind it for something like my taxes. I do think you have to have a reasonable amount of trust to use any tax software. I trust Intuit. Not blindly, but enough to let them process my taxes so that’s enough to be okay with setting up an account. I’ve had an account with them for a few years now and have not experienced any issues.

I’ve had an Intuit account for years. I also shop at Home Depot. My account was breached at one of these businesses and it wasn’t the tax firm.

OTOH, maybe I'll buy TT from a few stores and then -- after opening the box -- return it for the reason that I did not want to open an account with Intuit.

Maybe if Intuit gets a few thousand returned items they'll rethink it.

I seem to remember a similar boneheaded move they or some other tax software pulled a few years ago that they had to reverse when customers revolted.

If I recall correctly, was more like years ago they put in an antipirating verification process in their software as an attempt like Microsoft Windows only to irk their customers just trying to do their taxes. But instead treated them like crooks.

Yes, a bit of deja vu.

Back
Top Bottom