Ted, anyone can pick up their marbles...

(groan) But I wanna be certified NOWWW! :'(

At least I only have to wait another 23 years before I can be officially crotchety and opinionated without having to take any classes or spend any money.

I will be 70 this spring and may qualify as Senior
Curmudgeon although my wife usually refers to me
as "that old F".

By the way, I own a laundromat and have swept
up thousands of dryer sheets over the years. Wish
I knew there was a market for them.

Charlie

(groan) But I wanna be certified NOWWW! :'(

Don't worry. The uniquely designed curriculum of SUCADS (Salaryguru's University of Curmudgeons And Dryer Sheets) can be accelerated to meet the needs of the modern, motivated student . . . for a price. In fact, the curriculumn can be completed in as little as 20 seconds. That's how long it takes my old laserjet printer to produce the official certification. :D

Re:  Charlie, I thought it was spelled...

... "that old phart"...

I will be 70 this spring and may qualify as Senior
Curmudgeon although my wife usually refers to me
as "that old F".

By the way, I own a laundromat and have swept
up thousands of dryer sheets over the years. Wish
I knew there was a market for them.

Charlie

Funny, thats my girlfriends nickname for me too!

I was thinking of buying a laundromat some years ago. It was alleged to be a real easy money maker. Hows it work for you?

TH,

I have owned the laundromat since '69 when I
first realized that big companies have no soul and
you have to look out for yourself. Fortunately, I
was able to hire a faithful man-wife combo who
opened, closed and cleaned up until they retired
last year. If not for them, I probably would have
sold long before.

Other than good labor, location is everything. It is
best to locate in a blue-collar area with lots of old
apartments that don't have modern laundry rooms.
High visibility on a busy street and ample parking
are also critical. The downside of a good location
is that competition can be fierce. My location was
outstanding for several years but is now saturated
with competitors and it is difficult to raise prices.

Running the business is simple. The most important
thing is treating your customers fairly and keeping the
place clean and in good repair. I run an "unattended"
location but we check the place frequently. I
personally collect the money, service the bill changers
count the money, do the banking, pay bills and
do the books. This takes me about 10 hrs per week.
The business is somewhat confining in that it is hard
for me to take long vacations. Getting away for a
few days is easy, but you need somebody you really
trust to manage the money (collecting, counting,
banking and bill changers) to get away for more than
a few days.

You won't get rich running a laundry but it is a good
cash business. I made about 42% of gross before the
area bccame saturated in 1998. Up until the last
recession the business held up pretty well during
down times. I lost about 30% of my business this
last recession but things started picking up again
about 6 months ago.

My lease runs out at the end of this year and I need
to do some remodeling. Thus I am seriously considering
hanging it up. The selling price will depend almost
entirely on the gross revenues so I am hoping the
recent up-trend continues.

Regards,

Charliei

Hmm, well that about fits with what I heard about it. The advice I had been given was if I had some solid cash and wanted to get a money maker that took a little simple hard work, buy a laundromat or a liquor store. If you didnt feel like looking at the wrong end of a gun every once in a while and dealing with a high percentage of drunk customers, stick with the laundromat.

I had also considered opening a video arcade back in the early 80's. Yeah, I was young but I was always very entrepreneurial. Unfortunately that was back when opening a video arcade was considered equivalent to opening an opium den that also sold highly explosive devices that came with free handguns if you were under 18. The politico's in the town I was considering opening up in flatly told me that they'd tie me up in paperwork, red tape and court visits until I gave up on the idea. So I just got a night job working in a hardware store to keep me busy and the whole line of thinking passed.

I just moved from a too large close-in surban home to my version of paradise (see website in my profile page) and missed the last ten days of posts. Now, after reading the thread that seemingly led to Ted's leaving, I am a bit disappointed and sad.

I will take Ted's advice when investing the gains from my former home. I plan to put the money in Vanguard's short term corporate bond fund and move it to TIPS if interest rates rise after the election and as the boomers reach retirement age. Thanks Ted.

I too, believe that the respected member at the FundAlarm site named Ted is one and the same as our Ted. Perhaps I am wrong.

This forum, as opposed to the one at FundAlarm, is broader in scope and covers issues beyond fund performance, management, and other issues of the mutual fund market. Overtime, being a regular contributor on an active forum can and does lead to burn out.

I was a bit surprised at Ted's reactions and feel that no one was really out of line. I also take him at his word and expect to read future posts by him here.

Re:  Different Ted, I think

This board's Ted has a completely different syntax & punctuation than FundAlarm's Ted. FundAlarm's Ted does post on the M* Vanguard Diehards board as "Vanguard".

I got here too late to know this board's Ted as well as the rest of the veterans, but FundAlarm's Ted was profiled by Roy Weitz in 2002 at http://www.fundalarm.com/arc0102.htm (a little more than halfway down the page). Maybe one of you who knows this board's Ted could take a look and let us know if they're the same.

I came along a little late to really "know" the Ted from here, but what I saw was a smart guy that knew a good bit about a perspective of investing.

Unfortunately that same guy about once a week would vomit up a gallon of acid in someones face. It was rare enought that a simple "jeepers Ted" would suffice and we all moved on. Due to the sporadic nature of it, I wrote it off to PUI (posting under the influence...) The first instance I can remember was the new poster who mentioned something about thinking about having kids, and the response directed at him was to go to planned parenthood because he shouldnt be having kids. Not really a nice or needed answer. The guy shot back and I dont think he returned.

Once his drama queenish "I am leaving" post came up, it was all vitriol from then on for the way of life we've chosen.

As I mentioned in far more words, it seems to me that if you have a huge issue with people who 'take themselves out of the workforce', co-habiting with such people seems a bit hypocritical. I think we're all a little too old for 'conversions'.

Re:  Different Ted, I think

I got here too late to know this board's Ted as well as the rest of the veterans, but FundAlarm's Ted was profiled by Roy Weitz in 2002 at http://www.fundalarm.com/arc0102.htm (a little more than halfway down the page).  Maybe one of you who knows this board's Ted could take a look and let us know if they're the same.

I just did, they are totally different. The only common element is the user name.

Noticed that "another Ted" discussion. People frequently
notice "John Galts" on various sites also.
Although others may use the name, your faithful
correspondent is the real life incarnation of the
fictional character. Just wanted to clear up any confusion :)

John Galt

John Galt

John Galt,

What I'm confused about is why you're posting as a guest instead of the johngalt account. But then again I haven't been reading regularly in the past few months and haven't figured out what the dryer sheet gag is about, so maybe I missed a few explanations somewhere.

Aren't you afraid someone else will sign on as guest "John Galt" and claim that you've changed your political affiliations? :D

You can sign on with whatever name you wish I suppose,
and if it quacks like a duck, etc.................But, it took me a long time to travel way out here to the "fringe"
where I can pontificate as political pundit for the unenlightened. Return to what passes for polite PC
middle-of-the-road discourse seems unlikely. So, be of good cheer. You'll know if it's really me :)

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom