The Amazon judge and jury

Keep on eye on Google Express: Last week I was going to buy via Google Express:
Kirkland Laundry Soap $16.29
Bounty White Paper Towels $23.54

At the Costco Warehouse the prices for the above items:

$10.99
$15.99

As I recall, the two items were on sale at the Costco Warehouse, but were not on sale going through Google Express.

Same with Amazon, their prices don't always reflect the in-store discounts but that's OK as it still saves me from long lines and the inconvenience of driving to the store and dealing with people :greetings10:

One of the better features of Amazon, to me, are the ratings. Depending on the kind of thing you're shopping for, they can be pretty helpful for which products people generally like. Of course you need to watch for the thing where there are not enough reviews to be valid.

So just because you can't buy something from Amazon doesn't mean you can't comparison shop and use the reviews. I very often do just that, and don't even log-in, then buy elsewhere. And except for a few whitelisted sites, all my cookies are gone every time I close my browser.

Or use incognito mode, which is easier.

And yet Amazon ratings can be fake. Be careful. If you spend some time on slickdeals you will see discussions on Amazon ratings being pumped on some occasions.

There is no one answer on this regarding who has the best prices. Sometimes Amazon. Sometimes Walmart. Sometimes Target. Sometimes Home Depot. Lowes. Sears. Best Buy. Adorama. B&H Photo. Newegg. Ebay. and so on.

When I am looking for something, I check a bunch of different places (or at least what makes sense for that item).

Amazon and WalMart are in a retail price WAR. They frequently match deals on the other's site. Amazon will frequently match deals at WalMart, Best Buy, Home Depot and so on...and will change prices if the other site no longer has the deal.

Keep on eye on Google Express: Last week I was going to buy via Google Express:
Kirkland Laundry Soap $16.29
Bounty White Paper Towels $23.54

At the Costco Warehouse the prices for the above items:

$10.99
$15.99

As I recall, the two items were on sale at the Costco Warehouse, but were not on sale going through Google Express.

Costco items are sold by resellers and they mark it up to what they think the market will bear - caveat emptor.

I have a theory. I think the recent bump in amazon banning people who return a lot of merchandise is tactical and meant to generate enough publicity that their “heavy “ return centric customers will back off. Returns are incredibly expensive for any retailer and even more so for an eCommerce company that frequently has to pay for return shipping. If they can move the needle on overall returns the profit impact is huge.

Just a theory. But I could be right.

I shop online at Walmart sometimes, and often will select pickup at store as the store is close to me.

I've never had any lineup for pickup (once I learned where it was located), but I do have to push the buzzer and wait about 5 minutes just for someone to show up. Tells me not too many folks pick up their orders.

Shopping online at Walmart is the only way I ever shop there. The place is a zoo. Order online and pay and pick up at front desk of store for free w/o having to walk the maze.

I shop online at Walmart sometimes, and often will select pickup at store as the store is close to me.

I've never had any lineup for pickup (once I learned where it was located), but I do have to push the buzzer and wait about 5 minutes just for someone to show up. Tells me not too many folks pick up their orders.

I have only tried once... was buying a slow cooker for DS for college and the site said they had one at a particular store near us... DW did not want to wait so we bought online to pick up...

Went to the store later that night after getting an email... show up and there is nobody at the counter... I ask someone and they said it closes at 8PM (which they did NOT say in the email)... I said 'it is 5 minutes to 8'.... 'Oh, well they are not here' and they walk away....

Have never tried again.... but yes, I do not see people in that line.... now, the return line is usually long... and slooooowwww.....

I recently needed to replace my pressure washer. Once I decided on a make and model, I shopped around. I found it on Walmart with free shipping for about $20 less (after tax) than Amazon with faster shipping. I am an Amazon Prime member. What's up with that shipping delay Amazon? With Walmart, I had the choice of ship to the local store or home delivery. Same price.

This is the first time I chose Home delivery. Instead of driving 10 mins each way to Walmart, waiting in line for a clerk, then waiting for them to find the package and then process the pickup paperwork, I had the delivery guy deliver it into my garage. Period! I will select home delivery again if I plan on being home on the expected delivery day. Else, I will have it delivered to the store for local pickup.

That means that buying from Costco is so cheap that these folks can make money re-selling the things.

Makes me want to shop at Costco.

I sometimes really get mad when I see something on Amazon at Costco at. Big markup, but that’s ultimately because a customer does not have a Costco membership, I suppose.

I was once dropped shipped some paper from Sam’s after an Amazon order, but the market was very small and free shipping. Still, it was amusing to track it down to the real source, and I didn’t have a Sam’s membership.

Walmart online is a good alternative to Amazon. Ordered a couple TVs from them. Had the option of picking up at the store or have it shipped to the house.

I just saw someone else posted the same thing.

I sometimes really get mad when I see something on Amazon at Costco at. Big markup, but that’s ultimately because a customer does not have a Costco membership, I suppose.

Just bought a jar of spice at a local Asian shop for $5. It's $6.50 at Amazon including the shipping. Is it work the extra money? If I have to drive far out of my way, the Amazon cost is worth the extra money. But, I didn't so it wasn't.

Just bought a jar of spice at a local Asian shop for $5. It's $6.50 at Amazon including the shipping. Is it work the extra money? If I have to drive far out of my way, the Amazon cost is worth the extra money. But, I didn't so it wasn't.

A buck or two no big deal. It’s the $15 Kirkland item sold on Amazon for $28 that drops my jaw.

FWIW, there was a store in Canada called Pirate Joes that bought Trader Joes items in the US and resold them in Canada at unbelievable prices.

Any update on this issue? I think about it from time to time. I just can't imagine losing all the books on my kindle or all the audio books I bought, because of something that was not my fault.

Any update on this issue? I think about it from time to time. I just can't imagine losing all the books on my kindle or all the audio books I bought, because of something that was not my fault.
When the Kindle first came out, I was worried about storing my Kindle books at Amazon because I was paying all that money for Kindle books and I was concerned that if Amazon cratered I would lose them all. Yeah right!!! Amazon cratering? That's how much of a worry-wart I am . :LOL:

Anyway, I looked into that question at that time. I haven't done it in many years, but IIRC I discovered that you can copy your kindle books to your PC and back them up there.

When I googled asking how to do it, many articles came up like this one and I'm sure one of them will explain how. Then if Amazon bans you, you will at least have your books.

I was wondering too. Literally just told my husband about this thread yesterday. We would be so screwed right now without amazon—we use it for almost everything.

Nothings changed. We are still banned. I quit trying anything else about the time this thread concluded.

I’ve still no idea why this happened. As you might imagine, I’m not a fan of amazon anymore.

I did not have a kindle, so that was not an issue. But it sure changed my TV viewing along with my shopping obviously.

I’ve quit telling this story, cause I’m tired of talking about it. But whenever I do think about it, I’m still in shock they did this and behaved as they did.

Anyway, thanks for asking. Good luck avoiding the powerful fickle finger of fate that Amazon wields.

Muir

Amazon has become less customer friendly in other ways too this year. For example, there is no longer a way to send a typed message to customer service, at least I can't find it any longer.

Amazon has become less customer friendly in other ways too this year. For example, there is no longer a way to send a typed message to customer service, at least I can't find it any longer.

I think you can either do a phone call with them or a chat session. So the chat is perhaps your closest match.

Nothings changed. We are still banned. I quit trying anything else about the time this thread concluded.

I’ve still no idea why this happened. As you might imagine, I’m not a fan of amazon anymore.

My general rule of thumb is that if a company doesn't want my business, I'm more than happy to take my business elsewhere.

I'm not a fan of Bezos, his policies, and his politics, so I don't buy from Amazon any more.

When I googled asking how to do it, many articles came up like this one and I'm sure one of them will explain how. Then if Amazon bans you, you will at least have your books.
Yes Caliber is the best free software that manages ePub libraries. They also supply many free books for titles in the public domain. And there are no restrictions on sharing them.

Also if your have a browser, you might want to access the Kindle Cloud Reader that makes your entire Kindle library available to the browser.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom