The Atkins Cancer Revolution - Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Almost everything this assh*le says is simply wrong. All BS assertions.

High protein diets, often marketed as low carb or low carbohydrate diets, are in vogue today and are heavily promoted. Unfortunately, they are also high in fat and dangerous

This is wrong. They need not be high in fat. And they can be very gigh in fiver, not "fiber-less" as he says elsewheare in teha rtcile. LAst yr I ate 3 ounces of meat per day. 2 pounds (at least) of broccolli/other vegs, ALL carbs from which fell within the Atkins Low carb parameters. Some egg whites and some walnuts. Now wheres the high sat fat? How teh F would anybody thing this diet promotes cancer? The upshot of it was I felt better than I hat in 10 yrs and lost 30 pounds. As a vegetarian for 22 yrs I ate 1500 -1800 calories per day, felt increasingly like sht, and gained 40 pounds despite working out every day 1-2 hours. Obviously there was something metabolic going on. DR kept insisting I was just getting older and I should lower my cholester with drugs and make myself feel like sht because of some phantom imputed "risk" of future heart disease.

But sht head untermenschen who know ust enough about medicine to be dangerous keep keep making unfounded pronouncemnts with this one size fits all Russian roulette dietary protocol AND DRUGS! That and bogus statistics like animal protein (the only kind your body needs) causes cancer and heart disease.

razztazz,  the fact that your health has improved does not make Fuhrman , widely recognized by his peers as being among the top nutritionally  oriented physicians in the country, an "assh*le".  Nor does that mean that his "assertions" are bs.  Of course you can follow a vegetarian diet and be unhealthy.  Your improved health profile is undoubtedly due to your daily 2 pounds of green vegetables.  Incidentlally the centerpiece of Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" diet is to shoot for one pound of raw vegetables and one pound of cooked vegetables - which he says are the most nutritionally dense foods you can eat.  His diet rx is not necessarily vegetarian.

Also Fuhrman is not alone in his view on the Atkins diet. 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/diet/interviews/ornish.html

Your improved health profile is undoubtedly due to your daily 2 pounds of green vegetables. Incidentlally the centerpiece of Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" diet is to shoot for one pound of raw vegetables and one pound of cooked vegetables - which he says are the most nutritionally dense foods you can eat.

You misread what I wrote. I was eating 2 pounds of vegetables everyday decades before I tried Low carb. Health sank over time. The only change made was ditching those "complex carbs" and replacing it with meat. Period.

No, 2 pounds of raw vegs might be "nutrient dense" but do you need all of that density? They have what they have and they lack what they lack. Protein is necessary. They got none useable. Overages of vitimins in Vegs are not necessary for good health.

Empirical evidence does indeed make him an assh*le. I do not consider one's patina of authority a valid reason to buy what he's selling.

And the others who are anti Low Carb.... wrong also on biophysiological and other scientific and empirical grounds. Where they went to school or how much money daddy had or their own pet agenda doesn't mean they are right.

Nords said:
I think Furhrman's credibility is reduced when he takes the cheap shot at Atkins' death.

I simply stop reading at that point.

High protien, high veggies. Here's a thought let's all eat a healthy balance of these things in the proper protions. The problem with most people is they don't know what a proper portion is and as a result overeat.

The American Dietetics Association does not support the Atkins diet, and has released position papers speaking against it.

When you want accurate information about proper nutrition and diet, the ADA is where you go.

Azanon

the centerpiece of Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" diet is to shoot for one pound of raw vegetables and one pound of cooked vegetables

urp

trunk said:
Incidentlally the centerpiece of Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" diet is to shoot for one pound of raw vegetables and one pound of cooked vegetables - which he says are the most nutritionally dense foods you can eat.  His diet rx is not necessarily vegetarian.

I am pretty sure that not many people on this forum are doing this, if only because of the grocery expenses we publish. I eat a lot of veggie, but not this much, plus moderate amounts of fish, meat, nuts etc.

I spend around $450 a month on groceries for myself alone, in summer a tad less.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are very expensive; there is just no way around this fact.

It may be money well spent, but it is still a considerable amount of money.

BTW, I know a woman who was on this diet. She was 50 years old and carried maybe 25# more than she wanted. She was always walking around with a sack of celery. She never lost any weight that I could see, but of course her heart and vessels might have healthier. But I think her main hope on the diet was to lose weight, and I think she stayed on it as well as she could.

Ha

His diet rx is not necessarily vegetarian.

And Atkins for anybody who actually knows about it is not de facto "high fat" just like it is not anti-greens and anti-fiber

Fresh fruits and vegetables are very expensive; there is just no way around this fact.

I wonder where the federal subsidies for THIS kind of food are? Billions for high fructose corn syrup (sereptitioisly inserted almost everywhere) but apparently nothing for "Big Broccolli" Just bitch about people being fat and not eating enough vegetables.

She was always walking around with a sack of celery.

There is a reason herbivores like cows and horses stand around all day and do nothing but eat continuously, and lions and tigers eat once or twice a week. Vegetables have little food value. They don't "hit the spot".

She never lost any weight that I could see, but of course her heart and vessels might have been smashing

Perhaps. If they were wouldn't have anythng to do with cholesterol levels. Cholesterol levels have never been associate with heart disease.

razztazz said:
Perhaps. If they were  wouldn't have anythng to do with cholesterol levels.  Cholesterol levels have never been associate with heart disease.

Last time I checked my cholesterol was quite high (still on the diet wab) :).
However, a heart scan came back "perfect" and there is no heart
disease in the family that I know of. My parents eat whatever they want
literally, with no regard for fats and starch.
(I'm talking candy, cookies, pie and ice cream etc.) and at their last physicals
passed with flying colors (86 and 89.....amazing)

JG

I wish my sister was alive so I could have her post on here.............she "destroyed" many so-called diet experts in her life......... :D :D

Back
Top Bottom