The Beatles: REVOLVER 2022

Birdie Num Nums

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Beatles' official account dropped a ton of new videos today on YouTube promoting the just-released 2022 remixed Revolver album. I'm considering getting the new CD/DVD set, because even the MP3s of the tracks in these videos sound great. Example:

The Beatles' official account dropped a ton of new videos today on YouTube promoting the just-released 2022 remixed Revolver album. I'm considering getting the new CD/DVD set, because even the MP3s of the tracks in these videos sound great. Example:

Killer tune! Of the beginning ...

It appeals to the hard core fans. It keeps Giles Martin employed. It provides royalties to the legacies. And there are extras the true fans will like. All fine.

But not for me. I'm an old fan and am just happy with hearing the tracks as they were burned into my brain. I don't see a need to buy, but that's me.

Giles did a few things that were cool, like cleaning up "Let It Be" and going naked and stripping Spector's stuff out. I read his dad's book "All You Need Is Ears" and let's just say Spector's involvement really, really, really got under his skin.

I just did a side by side comparison and the remix is richer. There's definitely more bass. I would suspect Paul visited the mixing sessions.

The Beatles are still my favorite band of all time, I have 14 of their albums on CD. Though I will look into this release, I doubt I’ll buy it since I don’t listen to music on a high end system anymore.

My impression of the video posted (Tomorrow Never Knows) is that it is somewhat superior to a powerpoint.

Revolver, the album, is high on many lists. Remarkable work in the studio by the group and George Martin.

My wife is a massive Beatles fan. I listen along and enjoy more seeing her enjoyment. She still has every one of her original Beatles vinyl albums from the 60s & 70s. They still sound good on our 1959 Magnavox home stereo cabinet that I refurbished a few years back.

Last edited:
My wife is a massive Beatles fan. I listen along and enjoy more seeing her enjoyment. She still has every one of her original Beatles vinyl albums from the 60s & 70s. They still sound good on our 1959 Magnavox home stereo cabinet that I refurbished a few years back.

That's some authentic listening, the way it was meant to be!

Different topic:
A lot of early 60s music was mixed better for mono. This is especially true with the early Beach Boys. They put more work into the mono mix. And it is also the familiar version you heard on the radio. (Magic Carpet Ride is so different between the radio and album versions.)

Of course later 60s works are best in stereo. Revolver was done during the cross-over time, so perhaps Giles revisit has a lot of merit to put time into a good modern stereo mix.

I subscribe to Tidal music streaming service, and I see they already have The Beatles Revolver 2022 remix on their album list.

I subscribe to Tidal music streaming service, and I see they already have The Beatles Revolver 2022 remix on their album list.

Yeah, Amazon music has it too.

Although I’m sure it’s good, I’ll hit “pause” on this particular Beatles release. I’ve bought three and apart from the initial interest in the remixes I don’t listen to them any more than I would have before (with earlier remasters of the catalog). Plus a whole lot of bootlegs I’d picked up along the way.

Everything shows up (eventually) when I play my library on shuffle which is my norm lately.

Regardless, I think The Beatles are the best. The toppermost of the poppermost!

Last edited:
I'm still amazed at what the Beatles (w/Martin) did with the "primitive" facilities they had at the time. The Beatles were certainly a highly competent band and could hold their own against most bands of the day. But their experimentation meant that every new record was an adventure - something to look forward to - not just more of the same. Thank goodness for the Beach Boys (Brian Wilson) who constantly kept the Beatles "trying harder." What a time to be alive in the 60s - to see (hear) it all happen. I feel blessed. YMMV

But not for me. I'm an old fan and am just happy with hearing the tracks as they were burned into my brain.
Me, too! I want the songs to sound the way they sounded when we first heard them. What an amazing experience it was to hear them for the first time.

I'm still amazed at what the Beatles (w/Martin) did with the "primitive" facilities they had at the time. The Beatles were certainly a highly competent band and could hold their own against most bands of the day. But their experimentation meant that every new record was an adventure - something to look forward to - not just more of the same. Thank goodness for the Beach Boys (Brian Wilson) who constantly kept the Beatles "trying harder." What a time to be alive in the 60s - to see (hear) it all happen. I feel blessed. YMMV

Absolutely! So well said. Those of us who lived through the 60's were so lucky. My daughter asks me about those times occasionally, but it's almost impossible for me to verbalize what it was like to hear that music for the first time.

The older I get the more I appreciate the Beatles.

60 years ago, my dad took me to my music lesson. The Beatles were on the cover of a magazine in the lobby. Dad thought they were a disgrace (long hair) and mentioned such to my music teacher. She said " Well, if you take their songs apart, there's some really good things in there...the proof will be if, in 20 years, those songs will still be good songs." Sixty years on, they still are.

Last edited:
It’s amazing how people were judged on their hair length. I expect some young people wore it long for just that reason.

DH who grew up in small town out in the middle of nowhere - people got beaten up over their hair length.

My dad always appreciated the Beatles. I don't remember anything judgmental from him about "our" music.

It starts with a melody. Is it memorable? Of course there's much more to their music, but the melodies have obviously wormed into many young minds of that period, and are associated with important events in youth.

Going to get it today.

I was able to raise two Beatles fans, and one knows their catalog better than me.

We bought some the previous Giles Martin remixes. The consensus opinion in the house is:
-Sgt. Pepper - The best version of this album.
-White Album - Can be skipped. Perhaps that one was thoroughly worked before its initial release
-Abbey Road - A worthwhile improvement of the original.

The other remix to own is Let It Be Naked. We skipped the Giles Martin effort in favor of the McCartney-led earlier release. It is far better than the first, Phil Spector produced version.

The bonus tracks/demos/alternative versions on these releases have only been played a few times. We'll not pay for them in the future.

Speaking of Beatles.... this is a lovely arrangement of Penny Lane. Done by Elvis Costello - live performance at the White House.

The wonderful aspect of The Beatles was that every song on every album did not sound the same and the albums were all different and they ALL were good.

Very rare.

The wonderful aspect of The Beatles was that every song on every album did not sound the same and the albums were all different and they ALL were good.

Very rare.

I literally WAITED for every new Beatles album, knowing that it would be different from the previous ones. I suspect there were artists as "good" as the Beatles, in a technical sense. There were artists that had cleaver lyrics like the Beatles. There were even artists (like the Stones) that hung together a lot longer than the Beatles. But I just can't think of a group that put it all together, every single time and improved with virtually every record. Call it luck or kismet or whatever, the Beatles were that once in a hundred years phenomenon. Naturally, YMMV.

Nothing to do with Revolver, but I came across a piece about the song “Come Together” that was interesting to me. I always liked the intro and tried to play it on a full drum set but never came close. I hadn’t realized that, along with the great bass line and drums, there’s also a percussive-sounding vocal “Shoot me” to start it off. It all works!

Here’s a video of Ringo demonstrating and commenting:

https://youtu.be/vl9188EPdLI

Thanks for this thread. I played a video for DH who is a die-hard Beatles fan and also found the album on Apple Music and played some of that.

I hope you don’t mind me sharing a favorite cover of “Taxman” - a slower R&B version by Joe Bonamassa performed at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. The lyrics to that song are so fun!

Last edited:
Speaking of Beatles.... this is a lovely arrangement of Penny Lane. Done by Elvis Costello - live performance at the White House.

Thanks. I especially enjoyed watching the piccolo trumpet in action. It sounded fabulous!

Last edited:
Nothing to do with Revolver, but I came across a piece about the song “Come Together” that was interesting to me. I always liked the intro and tried to play it on a full drum set but never came close. I hadn’t realized that, along with the great bass line and drums, there’s also a percussive-sounding vocal “Shoot me” to start it off. It all works!

Here’s a video of Ringo demonstrating and commenting:

https://youtu.be/vl9188EPdLI

Thanks, I love learning how the "sausage" is made! I've seen a couple of videos about Sir George Martin's contributions. Getting info straight from Ringo is wonderful. Aloha

Audrey and Koolau: great!

“Taxman” was such a great first track for that album. It goes back to what W2R was saying about what it was like waiting to hear what’s NEXT from The Beatles. I never forget that great count-in and bass line. My goodness.

Aside: those tax rates weren’t a joke!

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom