The Economist delivery issues and email

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I just got this email from The Economist

As you may know the United States Postal Service (USPS) has implemented a number of initiatives to save money. The results in many cases have been changes in the way they process and deliver mail. We are aware that in some areas these changes have caused late delivery of The Economist.

We know that our readers expect timely delivery and for many a weekend is not complete without a copy of The Economist. We are actively monitoring delivery times and are working directly with the USPS to improve these in the ZIP codes that have been affected. In addition we are looking at alternative delivery options including using local newspaper delivery services. Regrettably these changes will not happen overnight but please rest assured we are working hard on a resolution.

I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that as a subscriber you have access to The Economist online at www.economist.com and through our apps for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices where The Economist, including a full audio version, is available every Thursday afternoon. More information can be found at www.economist.com/digital.

I would like to thank you for your patience as we continue to work toward a solution. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me at the email address below to let me know if there is anything else we can do
My delivery has slipped from friday to monday or tuesday (even split) and over the past month, thursday. They have a free iPad version, but the kindle version requires a separate subscription and the feedback I have read describes it as poor.

We will see what they come up with, but this late delivery is a real issue for them.

I just got this email from The Economist

My delivery has slipped from friday to monday or tuesday (even split) and over the past month, thursday. They have a free iPad version, but the kindle version requires a separate subscription and the feedback I have read describes it as poor.

We will see what they come up with, but this late delivery is a real issue for them.

You were lucky if you ever got it on Friday. Those occasions were extremely rare for me. My normal delivery has always been Saturday, but over the past year it has become more usual to get it on Monday, or even occasionally Tuesday.

OTOH, the iPad version is wonderful. It's a quick download (available Thursday evening), and reading it on the iPad is at least as pleasant as reading the paper version, if not better.

I've been a loyal Economist reader for nearly 30 years, and can't imagine going without it.

I noticed the Thanksgiving week one came on Monday (or was it Tuesday?). Generally I've been getting it on Fri or Sat.

I'm always impressed how they get stories on some of the latest economic news in there.

When I've called the Economist they answered with a real person pretty quickly. Always polite. Very impressed with the magazine which is my only mag subscription.

"Welcome to Hawaii". When we were subscribing to Business Week the magazine cover was titled "Business Last Week".

Does Economist print in several locations like the WSJ, or are they shipping it from one central printer? Is there any reason to stick with the print edition, or are subscribers going all online?

I have it on my Ipad and it is fantastic. Couldn't speak to the Kindle version, but it is nice to be able to read it on the go and leave the print subscription at the office for my bosses to fight over.

"Welcome to Hawaii". When we were subscribing to Business Week the magazine cover was titled "Business Last Week".
Now that my issue is arriving a week late, I have a better sense of what that means and how it feels.

Does Economist print in several locations like the WSJ, or are they shipping it from one central printer? Is there any reason to stick with the print edition, or are subscribers going all online?
I don't know about the printing, but the difference in delivery dates among the subscribers suggests one or two locations. I've heard very positive comments about the iPad version, as Sarah indicated. I can't see the Kindle version but online reviews are pretty negative, stressing missing content and formatting issues. They put the content online for print subscribers, but I spend enough time at the computer as it is. I really enjoyed the Economist on Sunday mornings over coffee.

Lately I've had fleeting thoughts about getting an iPad. This won't make the difference but does make the case stronger.

Get it, Michael! You will love the iPad, I promise. I feel like a member of a cult, but I swear, it has changed my internet habits completely. And you can look at the Economist over coffee anytime you like. :)

Get it, Michael! You will love the iPad, I promise. I feel like a member of a cult, but I swear, it has changed my internet habits completely. And you can look at the Economist over coffee anytime you like. :)
You're starting to sound like one as well :LOL:

My daughter has one. When she visits over the year end I'm going to set up a wireless router, borrow it, download a few things and read. A book and a magazine. If it fits my reading needs it might happen.

Drink the coolaid, c'mon Michael, everyone else is.
Have I mentioned that I'm fascinated by cults, and especially this one?
Jonestown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I met Jim Jones, while they were still in San Francisco. He was a darling of the hipnoscenti, the social movers and shakers hip variety from that very crazy time.

I have always been wary of charismatics and true believers, and I really did not like this dude at all.

Ha

I subscribe to the Economist, but haven't paid much attention to when it arrives, being retired and all. I did load the digital version app on my iPhone. But reading anything but a quick reference or something on it is tiring. DW has an iPad which she uses for her online research...constantly. I would try out The Economist on her iPad, but by the time she finishes with it, I'm asleep.

I met Jim Jones, while they were still in San Francisco. He was a darling of the hipnoscenti, the social movers and shakers hip variety from that very crazy time.

I have always been wary of charismatics and true believers, and I really did not like this dude at all.

Ha

NO WAY!!!!! This is a story I need to hear. I really am an enormous freak about cults and their leaders. His story has fascinated me from the get-go. I think it is because I am so wary of any sort of charismatics that I just can't believe when people get all caught up in them. I've read everything I could find about Jim Jones and the very sad stories of his followers.

Back
Top Bottom