This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be the lucky ones.
https://www.etrviewoutage.com/map?state=nola
NOLA power outages:

There were 50,000 outages in all of Louisiana this morning, but most of them are outside New Orleans, down in the swamps by the Gulf of Mexico or on Grand Isle.

What we are hearing on local TV news is that almost all of the outages up here in the New Orleans area have been addressed already. Our local electric company is pretty terrific about keeping the electricity up and running.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_b1843354-a561-11e9-b80b-aba98ebfe2d3.html

I live a mile outside New Orleans in Jefferson Parish (=County), which has a population of about 439,000 people. Right now there are about 10,000 outages in Jefferson Parish, 2,000 of those being way down at Grand Isle. No big deal. You can't even get to Grand Isle right now, and it was mostly evacuated yesterday.

So far this is really not the Big Storm that the national news media might lead one to think. Believe me, UncleMick and I both know about Big Storms and like I said, so far this ain't it. Maybe later.

Ah, so, gotta see the big picture:

Attachments

• NOLA pwrBIG.gif
    NOLA pwrBIG.gif
    168.9 KB · Views: 51
Ah, so, gotta see the big picture:

Yes, Entergy provides some fun maps, doesn't it? But it isn't the only power company here so that map doesn't show the big picture. Really we hardly have any more power outages (at least here in New Orleans) than we would normally, as I said. Calm down! :LOL: Now, maybe in a day or two we will have more of the usual power outages that these storms create.

So far, with no more than a drizzle and light wind gusts, there really hasn't been any reason for extensive power outages in New Orleans. Consequently nothing unusual in this respect has been happening here in New Orleans. That is not to say that we won't in the future! So just hang on to your hat and those maps should be showing a lot more in New Orleans if we actually get some rain and wind out of this.

Speaking of which, while posting back and forth about this it started to rain pretty hard for the first time so far with this storm. Looks like all that rain over in MS and AL is moving into the city.

The TV news just said that they would call this rain (that just began) as "intense" but not "torrential" and that sounds about right. They said that so far the problems in Louisiana have been from storm surge down south by the Gulf of Mexico, and not from rain or wind.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 42
So, the total impact of Hurricane Barry this morning in my New Orleans neighborhood:

Rainfall: <1"
Wind gusts: up to 25 mph

City of New Orleans press conference on TV: Mobile (Alabama) has got over 4" of rain today. Here, the sun is shining but that doesn't mean that we are out of danger. The impact of this storm has simply been delayed so be ready for quite a storm. Thank you for staying off the streets, and don't put your trash out at the curb.

Edited to add: Barry came shore at Intracoastal City, Louisiana, just south of Lafayette, as of 1PM and is no longer a hurricane.

114F high today. Not a wisp of cloud in the sky.

No. 122F (50C) was hot. That record on June 1990 still holds.

I still remember that day, leaving work at megacorp and walking out to my car. I told myself "Darn, this is really hot". The sun was still high on the sky too.

Then, on the drive home, heard on the radio that we set an all-time record.

Last edited:
I was in Phoenix at 120°. It was quite hot, regardless of the low humidity. MIL was with us on a summer visit. Probably the reason she refuses to move there with us.

Forecast for NW Ohio starting Thursday...96*, 100*, 101*, and 99* on Monday. We had 4 months of nearly daily rain/50*-60*, then it switched to high 80s-low 90s....I'm waiting for Autumn !

Our highs through this weekend, starting with today: 92, 95, 89, 95, 99, 95.

I can't wait to retire, or at least feel like w*rk is totally optional, because at that point I'd probably move north, or at least near the ocean, where there's usually a more temperate breeze off the water. I can handle cold and snow, but I hate heat and humidity! Markets willing, we'll become snowbirds, or even move to the Bay area! :dance:

Low 90's pretty much through October. Still loving it and remind myself of the cold alternative when I was working.

Just got back from Malta. The first two days were even hotter than here in lower Alabama, but it dropped to a more tolerable low 90s after that. It sure made an evening swim in the Mediterranean refreshing. If I ever go back to Malta it won't be in July!

Lots of rain last month, but now just HOT. Highs of near 100 though the next 7 days with heat index around 110. I am very, VERY thankful to be retired. I can limit my outdoor time to the more "pleasant" times of the day and avoid the devil sun the rest of the time. Dog walks are pretty early these days, but they aren't complaining.

I am very happy to not be on a flight line though. BLAH!

Forecast highs for the next 4 days here in the U.P. of Michigan (starting with today): 83, 81, 87, 89.
So, not really too bad, compared to just south of us. Whenever I think about complaining about the warm, humid July weather we sometimes get here (for maybe a week or two), I think back to the crummy, cold, wet weather we had for about 5 straight months last Fall/Winter (basically from October through the end of April). Then this warm stretch doesn't seem too bad at all........

Whenever I think about complaining about the warm, humid July weather we sometimes get here (for maybe a week or two), I think back to the crummy, cold, wet weather we had for about 5 straight months last Fall/Winter (basically from October through the end of April). Then this warm stretch doesn't seem too bad at all........

My sentiments exactly:

Attachments

• Ariensl_824.jpg
    Ariensl_824.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Fun_in_snow.jpg
    Fun_in_snow.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 26
. I can handle cold and snow, but I hate heat and humidity! Markets willing, we'll become snowbirds, or even move to the Bay area! :dance:

I am the polar opposite, I can't stand the 6 months of cold/snow rain of NW Ohio, and love being outside in bare feet with shorts on. I can still get things accomplished around the farm, when I can jump in the pool to cool off for a few minutes.

I shiver almost non-stop during cold weather, and stay near the woodstove, but hate going out for more wood, or to clean driveways before it gets dark at 5:00 p.m.

I am the polar opposite, I can't stand the 6 months of cold/snow rain of NW Ohio, and love being outside in bare feet with shorts on. I can still get things accomplished around the farm, when I can jump in the pool to cool off for a few minutes.

I shiver almost non-stop during cold weather, and stay near the woodstove, but hate going out for more wood, or to clean driveways before it gets dark at 5:00 p.m.

If you ever decide to "snowbird" it, maybe we should house-swap! I've been musing about whether that's possible, as it would take away one huge inefficiency of that lifestyle to have someone in each house all year round. I think the biggest barrier would be agreeing about redecorating and renovating. That's hard enough to do sometimes when you're actually married!

Y'all in the East Coast just got through a heatwave, from what I read.

The poor Parisians are facing another blister later this week.

... Jobard from Meteo France said that Thursday was shaping up to be "a potentially historically hot day".

"We are forecasting 41 or 42 degrees in Paris on Thursday and there is the strong chance of beating the record," he added.

The highest ever temperature recorded in Paris was 40.4 degrees Celsius (104.7 degrees Fahrenheit) in 1947...

41C to 42C would be 106F to 108F. Aye, aye, aye...

And Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands will also be affected. Aye, aye, aye...

Florida effectively has a heat wave for 5 months straight.

Not just Florida. Have you been to Phoenix?

The difference is we have AC. Europeans do not.

Our highs in suburban New Orleans for the past 4 days, have been 97*, 93*, 91*, and (today) 92*. These are average highs for this location at this time of year.

I remember seeing on the evening news, that last week our temperatures were actually lower than average.

Apparently we are the lucky ones this summer. Paris must be miserable right now!

It has been humid here lately, with some light rainfall almost every day. But then, July in New Orleans is usually like that.

Looks like Tropical Depression #3 is headed up the East Coast, but is not expected to become a hurricane and there are no other active tropical disturbances in the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico. Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom