This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy gives lots of charts and background for current situation, and warns tomorrow will be worse (at least around Seattle), but better on Tuesday.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

"Even More Extreme: Extraordinary Record Highs Followed by Perhaps the Most Rapid Cooling in Northwest History
If you are living west of the Cascade crest of Oregon and Washington, tomorrow will be a day you will never forget.

The latest model runs, all at very high resolution, show even more profound extremes than previously predicted. And the end of the event will be extraordinary, with temperatures falling by as much as 50F within a few hours."

Dang!

I just went on wunderground.com to look at personal weatherstations around Portland, and saw some reporting 115F as I write this (5 PM in Portland).

What I have learned is that microclimate matters a lot. I realized this, one evening taking a walk around my neighborhood, and encountered a blast of hot breeze blowing down a street. Turned out that the hot air was blowing from the nearby mountain preserve.

Since then, I learned to not use the official temperature reported for my city, but to go on wunderground to use the reports from personal stations closest to me. The variation may be higher than 5F for points just a mile or two apart. It's eye opening.

Dang!

I just went on wunderground.com to look at personal weatherstations around Portland, and saw some reporting 115F as I write this (5 PM in Portland).

What I have learned is that microclimate matters a lot. I realized this, one evening taking a walk around my neighborhood, and encountered a blast of hot breeze blowing down a street. Turned out that the hot air was blowing from the nearby mountain preserve.

Since then, I learned to not use the official temperature reported for my city, but to go on wunderground to use the reports from personal stations closest to me. The variation may be higher than 5F for points just a mile or two apart. It's eye opening.

Yup, I use the weather report originated 2 miles from me.

......So glad the tornados didn't materialize! That must have been unnerving. Hope none of the downed trees caused damage to homes.

It was unnerving - same as what you folks in NOLA go through during hurricane season, except we don't have the water aspect. No sirens yesterday - that was a good sign. Things get real when the sirens go off. Don't think that the downed trees cause any home damage - at least not in our neighborhood.

One way to keep cool is fill up a bowl with ice cubes, place in front of a box fan set on high, sit in front of the cooling breeze....

One way to keep cool is fill up a bowl with ice cubes, place in front of a box fan set on high, sit in front of the cooling breeze....

We're doing that and it helps. Also keeping a couple spray bottles of water in the fridge and using them a lot (trying to keep the dog in no panting mode).

I watched a livestream on youtube that was covering the storm and tornado damage around Naperville as it was happening. Looked pretty severe and I am glad that nobody died. Also glad that you got a break from the drought!

We had almost 4" of rain on Monday (which is yesterday by now, I'm up late). That resulted in a little flooding in areas that flood often, but we had no tornados or damage like what you had. So overall, it was a reasonably nice day. Just rain, rain, and more rain. High temperature was a pleasant 88F. I like living in a rainy part of the country.

This is from DD. I believe it was the day they got the keys to their new house north of Denver earlier this month. Picture taken from their new front yard. Some out buildings were damaged about 5 miles north of their place.

Attachments

• PXL_20210607_231101050.jpg
    PXL_20210607_231101050.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 40
This is from DD. I believe it was the day they got the keys to their new house north of Denver earlier this month. Picture taken from their new front yard. Some out buildings were damaged about 5 miles north of their place.

:eek: WOW! :eek:

So scary!!!

For Beaverton Oregon? Which is west of the Cascades.

I know. Just teasing you. ;)

But hey, if it gets that hot and I am without AC, I will certainly go crazy. :mad: Before I drop dead of a heat stroke. :dead:

In the '70s, I had a tornado go through my front yard (a corn field at the time) and the next year, one went through my back yard (a stand of trees, many of which were twisted off at the roots.) Didn't even lose our gutters that time - it took a straight-line wind a few years later for that. In the midwest it seems tornados and strong winds are a fact of life. YMMV

In the midwest it seems tornados and strong winds are a fact of life.

Yep. Town a few miles away got hit by tornadoes in 2013 and 2015. Some folks just got done rebuilding from the 2013 tornado to be hit by the one in 2015. The storm we had a few days ago did little tree damage because there are very few big trees left to damage after the last tornado.

This guy gives lots of charts and background for current situation, and warns tomorrow will be worse (at least around Seattle), but better on Tuesday.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

"Even More Extreme: Extraordinary Record Highs Followed by Perhaps the Most Rapid Cooling in Northwest History
If you are living west of the Cascade crest of Oregon and Washington, tomorrow will be a day you will never forget.

The latest model runs, all at very high resolution, show even more profound extremes than previously predicted. And the end of the event will be extraordinary, with temperatures falling by as much as 50F within a few hours."

Crazy hot temps.
I think the cooler marine air flow that "normally" keeps temps relatively down, especially cooling at night, is a factor why so many in Portland to Seattle do not have AC, as it is not needed.
Although, many will purchase it after this I am thinking! None to be had now.

Hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada yesterday in BC 46.1C = 115F

Today likely to be even higher! Just got back from PV and struggling to stay cool without AC. Normal Pacific breezes much lower and hotter than normal.

Quarantined for 14 days so no trips to AC restaurants/theaters.

yowza, we are expecting 115 today also.
kc--hopefully you have fans at least!
Stay hydrated.

This could belong in the BTD category, but back in 2008 after spending my first summer in my then-new house, I made the decision to install AC. I remember how the contractor came to me with the quotes which were in the neighborhood of 10K. "Do you really want to spend this kind of money?" I didn't hesitate. He was surprised.

Never once regretted my decision - least of all today when Seattle is expected to reach 110F.

Hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada yesterday in BC 46.1C = 115F

Today likely to be even higher! Just got back from PV and struggling to stay cool without AC. Normal Pacific breezes much lower and hotter than normal.

Quarantined for 14 days so no trips to AC restaurants/theaters.

Here are my best ideas of how to stay cool without AC (all tested by W2R twice during hot summers here, when AC broke and I was too cheap/thrifty/frugal to get it repaired right away). It was not 115 but over 100.

• Wear only skimpy, light clothing if any.
  • Keep a glass of ice water at hand at all times, and drink lots of it to cool your body off from the inside out.
  • Every hour, go stand in a cool shower. Then go sit under a fan.
  • Turn on fans if you have any.
  • Be a couch potato.
  • No hot foods, only cold foods.
  • Close curtains and blinds to keep the sun/heat out as much as possible

Good luck! Sounds like a dreadful situation.

Here are my best ideas of how to stay cool without AC (all tested by W2R twice during hot summers here, when AC broke and I was too cheap/thrifty/frugal to get it repaired right away). It was not 115 but over 100.

• Wear only skimpy, light clothing if any.
  • Keep a glass of ice water at hand at all times, and drink lots of it to cool your body off from the inside out.
  • Every hour, go stand in a cool shower. Then go sit under a fan.
  • Turn on fans if you have any.
  • Be a couch potato.
  • No hot foods, only cold foods.
  • Close curtains and blinds to keep the sun/heat out as much as possible

Good luck! Sounds like a dreadful situation.

This is a great list, Thx!

This could belong in the BTD category, but back in 2008 after spending my first summer in my then-new house, I made the decision to install AC. I remember how the contractor came to me with the quotes which were in the neighborhood of 10K. "Do you really want to spend this kind of money?" I didn't hesitate. He was surprised.

Never once regretted my decision - least of all today when Seattle is expected to reach 110F.
When we bought our house it had AC, a rarity at 7700'. We turn it on at least a few afternoons each year. I'm sure glad we have it just in case.

Last edited:
No AC here at just under 9k ft. It has been quite cool the last week. Highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s with lots of clouds and rain. The furnace is set at 68 and turns on a couple of times in the early morning. Low 90s this time of year is not real unusual. Two weeks ago the windows were open all night and the furnace was off. Hope all you folks in hot land stay cool one way or another!

It's beautiful today in California, w may have high taxes but the weather more than makes up for that.

No AC here at just under 9k ft. It has been quite cool the last week. Highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s with lots of clouds and rain. The furnace is set at 68 and turns on a couple of times in the early morning. Low 90s this time of year is not real unusual. Two weeks ago the windows were open all night and the furnace was off. Hope all you folks in hot land stay cool one way or another!

Low 90's without any AC:confused:??

Low 90's without any AC:confused:??

My high-country 2nd home at 7000' occasionally gets up there in the summer. A temperature in the range of 90-92 is tolerable, because of low humidity plus a light breeze that blows through the house as we open all windows.

A few more degrees, and I will close all windows and turn on the AC.

For those of us in "hot land" I suggest offering up a prayer of thanks to Willis Carrier, widely credited with inventing a safe form of air conditioning. It was made mostly for controlling the humidity in textile mills and the comfort of workers was simply a by product.

Nonetheless on days like this (96°F and high humidity) I am grateful, whatever Mr. Carrier's motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom