This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to move the rest of my posts about the Hurricane Ida aftermath to this Hurricane Ida thread, which was created long after the discussion of Hurricane Ida had been going on here on the present thread. I think it's confusing to have discussion of this hurricane divided between two threads like this.

Good Idea W2R, I'm reading really bad things about getting electricity restored to a great area of NOLA...the uncertainly must be stressful for the two of you.

That map would really help. I would avoid I-10, and use other roads to get to I-55 to escape.

I know this post is a little late, but I really noticed that too. All throughout the day Saturday, while I-10 was clogged...I-55 was absolutely clear. I would have gone north a good few hundred miles and then turned left. Odd to me that so few people did that.

I ate at some little funky ma & pa BBQ place a few miles from downtown with dancing pigs on the front glass doors. Some of the best ribs I ever ate. Meat was slow and well smoked, fell off clean from the bones!

Google up some local shops while there, don't just cracker barrel - you can get that stuff anywhere - :)

It's hot (102F) here and still smoky. But I'll be smoking a whole chicken for supper - :)

I ate at some little funky ma & pa BBQ place a few miles from downtown with dancing pigs on the front glass doors. Some of the best ribs I ever ate. Meat was slow and well smoked, fell off clean from the bones!

Google up some local shops while there, don't just cracker barrel - you can get that stuff anywhere - :)

It's hot (102F) here and still smoky. But I'll be smoking a whole chicken for supper - :)

Yep, Memphis has some fine dining choices. It's not the healthiest, but mmm good!

This weather is awful!!

“Entergy, our electric company, reports that every single customer in New Orleans has lost electricity due to complete failure of all the big transmission lines into the city. It looks like the same is true…..”

I was out and about this afternoon and saw between 15-20 electric utility trucks heading south. I assume there are lineman from far and wide heading down to help.

“Entergy, our electric company, reports that every single customer in New Orleans has lost electricity due to complete failure of all the big transmission lines into the city. It looks like the same is true…..”

I was out and about this afternoon and saw between 15-20 electric utility trucks heading south. I assume there are lineman from far and wide heading down to help.

It's been on the news today that Chicago-land is sending crews down there.

-ERD50

Ida is now in South Central PA and we may get up to 8 inches of rain. Many schools and libraries are closed, some are doing a cyber day. It's been raining steadily since 6 AM, and now the wind and rain have really picked up. Glad I live halfway up a gentle hill. There will be stream and creek flooding tonight into tomorrow. Then maybe the Susquehanna. In 2011 Hershey Park and Zoo America flooded, two buffalo drowned. On the bright side, it finally isn't miserably hot.

The rain is getting close.
Weather channel is predicting rain again starting at about 5pm.

The good thing is that they will be able to get most of the matches completed at the US Open and the rain should be out of the area by midday tomorrow.

Ida is now in South Central PA and we may get up to 8 inches of rain. Many schools and libraries are closed, some are doing a cyber day. It's been raining steadily since 6 AM, and now the wind and rain have really picked up. Glad I live halfway up a gentle hill. There will be stream and creek flooding tonight into tomorrow. Then maybe the Susquehanna. In 2011 Hershey Park and Zoo America flooded, two buffalo drowned. On the bright side, it finally isn't miserably hot.

My oldest sister and I flew into Philly and drove to Williamsport during the 2011 flood to surprise our 94yo DF. I was driving, my sister wanted the GPS on despite me telling her I wasn't following it. I still knew the high roads from growing up in the area. We finally called our other sister to tell her we're running late because of the downpours when she heard the GPS telling me to go to Watsontown or some town down on the river. "No DS I'm not going to be an idiot I still remember what towns are on the river". Of course she had to ask why we had the GPS on if we weren't going to use it.

Looking at the radar the bulk of it has passed by us; we received four+ inches of rain according to the rain gauge on the back porch. At least one local road out will be flooded and maybe both of them for a day or two but we're high enough that flooding in the house is not a concern. There have been momentary power outages but nothing more than 15 seconds or so. Yet. We do have a generator if needed, enough to power the gas furnace, refrigerator, freezer, TV, computers and a few lights. It will not power the A/C but that won't be needed for a few days anyway. If it comes to that we have a small window A/C the generator will power for the bedroom and can live in there.

The forecast is still warnings for heavy thunderstorms but I don't see any forming on the radar. Of course that doesn't mean we won't get any. So far it looks like we got off easy.

They said we were due for a good 2 inches from this, but we only had a few sprinkles (northern KY). It all went east of us which seemed to surprise the meteorologists.

Not sure exactly how much rain we have had in the NC mountains but it has rained hard for 18 hours. I bet we have had at least 4-5 inches. Power has been off and on (on right now) and some trees down. Weather.com says it should just be cloudy now but it is still pouring.

I lived in Northern NJ in 2011. Irene stalled and the flooding was worse for us than Sandy.

Live in NY now, Ida's rain has started here. We are under tornado watch but it looks like most of the heavy rain will go into Conn. Luckily I no longer live down the street from a river.

Wow! Just spent about 3 hrs watching tornado warnings all around Philadelphia including South Jersey. They had a couple of videos of funnel clouds and extensive damage of houses in one of my golf buddies neighborhood. I’m waiting to hear if he is safe.

We look to be clear for now but it’s all heading up through Princeton and points northeast.

Take care, all of you in danger from flooding rains and tornados! We'll be hoping they pass by you quickly or die down soon.

When I looked at the projected path of Ida earlier, the eye was gonna pass right through here. It appears that the storm veered to West of the Delaware River, and by 12:30 am it was a close call for us. Towns near NYC are flooded, and took a beating. So we're still sad for others.

I had over 10" of rain here in central NJ last night, thanks to Ida. Fortunately I live on a hill so I'm okay but there's a lot of flooding in the region - much of it from storm drains that can't handle that volume of water in such a short time, but now rivers are flooding and probably won't crest for another day of so.

We are finally getting much needed rain here. Expected to rain today and tomorrow, the air smells so fresh!

Nothing like that NJ rain, but we had a squall line pass through and take out power about 10 last night, with 1"+ of rain in a few minutes. Our power came back about 5 this morning, but the eastern plateau area is down still. Typical closed roads from trees and lines up there.

I have been following the weather news along the West Coast. There's a bit of an effect down in the SW, but it was nothing more than a rain all day on Christmas Eve. We had a good Christmas day, sitting outside near the pool of my brother, tasting and comparing different Cognac and an Armagnac.

The silver lining of the storm along the West Coast is that it brings a lot of moisture. Snowpack in some places is already above normal, and it is still snowing. Hopefully, it will make a dent in the long ongoing drought.

^^^ Some years ago, a snowy storm hit Seattle. I still remember news videos of Seatteites who were not accustomed to driving on the snow. One car slid down a slopy street for a few hundred feet before it hit a stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom