This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's currently -5F (-20C) here, with about 4 inches of snow on the ground. It's a lovely day to be retired, stay inside and keep the fire stoked. :)
Brrrrrrski! :eek: There's more than one meaning to the word FIRE.....

It's currently -5F (-20C) here, with about 4 inches of snow on the ground. It's a lovely day to be retired, stay inside and keep the fire stoked. :)

Brrrr! That sounds COLD. Yes, sounds like a good day to curl up in a warm blanket by the fire, with a good book and a hot cup of coffee or tea.

Rain is predicted today here in New Orleans, with highs in the 60's F. I am probably the only person in this city who really likes our climate.

We are currently in a calm before the NEXT storm. Snowed most of the day yesterday (about 3"). Supposed to start again tonight and all day tomorrow...maybe another 6-10 inches.:(

Bout wore myself out this morning scooping a double driveway and side walk in 17 degree weather. I was bundled up nice and snug and the sun was shining so pretty. The silly sun is still shining...looks so serene....but, can't fool me...I KNOW what's coming!:D

My lawn guy will dig me out this next time and I'll gladly pay him.:D I'm ready tho. Have lots of good food, warm house and two books directly delivered on my Kindle yesterday.

We are currently in a calm before the NEXT storm. Snowed most of the day yesterday (about 3"). Supposed to start again tonight and all day tomorrow...maybe another 6-10 inches.

Same here in Wisconsin except about 18 hours later and in a small section(the one i'm in) we're expected to get 8-12 inches. Wednesday will not be a good day to be commuting to w*rk. After the snow storm the morning temps drop to low single digits for several nights/mornings in a row:(

We got 4.5 inches of rain yesterday. No problems in my suburb, but there was some flooding in Slidell due to the 7 inches of rain they got up there on the North Shore along with malfunctioning drainage pumps. Also, much flooding in St. John Parish where they don't really have pumps AFAIK.

This morning it is sunny, bright, and pushing 70 F, since we have sent the storm east. :)

Waiting for my lawn guy to dig me out....not that I'm wanting to go anywhere. Neighbors snowblowed my sidewalk and my driveway yesterday. I pretty much promised my lawn guy some snow to play in today and I kept my promise, so far (unless my neighbors get to it first). My walk to my front porch is drifted probably 3-4 feet. My deck is not bad but my poor dog gets a little high centered when doing her business in the back yard.:D She's funny to watch.

My street is pretty messed up. I don't have much of a hill on my street, but, cars were really getting stuck yesterday and last night. Residential streets won't be cleaned until tomorrow. I think everyone on my street slept in late today...snow day for the working stiffs.:D

From tuesday night thru wednesday noon I got 13 inches of snow. I'm glad I called in to work because I would've been getting out of work at 5am today with about 9 inches of snow already on the unplowed roads plus 30 mph winds causing blizzard conditions. Now starting tonight wind chills will be dropping into the teens below zero for the next several days. Only 1 week into the new attendance year at work and I already called in. I only get 3 call ins without reprecutions. It doesn't matter that it was in the top 15 worst snow storms in recorded history for my area and the "weather people" said NO ONE should be on the roads if it's not an emergency, i'll still get an unexcused absence.

From tuesday night thru wednesday noon I got 13 inches of snow. I'm glad I called in to work because I would've been getting out of work at 5am today with about 9 inches of snow already on the unplowed roads plus 30 mph winds causing blizzard conditions. Now starting tonight wind chills will be dropping into the teens below zero for the next several days. Only 1 week into the new attendance year at work and I already called in. I only get 3 call ins without reprecutions. It doesn't matter that it was in the top 15 worst snow storms in recorded history for my area and the "weather people" said NO ONE should be on the roads if it's not an emergency, i'll still get an unexcused absence.

I was snowed in a plastics factory in Indiana for a long weekend, in Jan. 1979 I think... Slept in a cardboard box, and ate from the vending machines...

My former megaconglomocorp would never officially close, though luckily I had plenty of timebank, and flexible management. The manufacturing areas, however, were not flexible, and people were expected to show no matter the weather...

But it made it up to the 30's today, bbam! :D

We have a pond too, but it's one of those see-ment ponds like the Clampets had. We put a solar cover on it for winter, so it stays quite a bit warmer (relatively speaking). I hope Mrs. Drysdale doesn't complain about the fumes again...

I was snowed in a plastics factory in Indiana for a long weekend, in Jan. 1979 I think... Slept in a cardboard box, and ate from the vending machines...

The winter of '78/79 was brutal in the NE IL area, probably most of the upper midwest. One night I was one of the few who braved it out there to try to get home (I did, hours later, through some bad white-out too). Many slept on the floor, on conference tables, etc., and ate whatever was in the building. Which wasn't much. They picked the vending machines clean, which had not been restocked that day due to the deepening snow. Somebody even ate the beef jerky sticks that stayed in the machine forever. Later, no one would own up to being THAT desperate. :sick:

It's much colder than usual here. I won't say how cold, or you midwesterners might laugh. But this morning it was 50 degrees in the bedroom when we woke up. We like it that cold -- we sleep better, but it makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

It's much colder than usual here. I won't say how cold, or you midwesterners might laugh. But this morning it was 50 degrees in the bedroom when we woke up. We like it that cold -- we sleep better, but it makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Conan joked on the Tonight Show yesterday that people in L.A. saw their breathe for the first time. They thought it was their soul leaving their body. :LOL:

Meanwhile, i'm going to have to go outside soon where it'll be -15 windchill at the heat of the day.:(

Forecast is for 9 F for tomorrow morning. Just add wood to the stove, and watch the world go by. It is nice to be able to stand at the window with a fresh cup of coffee.

I like this retirement thing.

It was 5 below this morning when my spouse went out to snow blow and then to the unheated garage to finish packing what is in there. He still isn't done several hours later and the temp now is up to zero. But it isn't windy and the sun is shining so it isn't that bad. Especially when someone else is doing it. :)

Conan joked on the Tonight Show yesterday that people in L.A. saw their breathe for the first time. They thought it was their soul leaving their body. :LOL:
:ROFLMAO: So that's what that was.:cool: People in L.A. had souls?;)

It was soooo cold here yesterday, I wore the warmest socks, scarf, gloves, and hat; will add the ear pops when it gets really cold. We bring out the scarves, hats and gloves so often that they still look new after only three years. It's inexplicably warm today, had to work hard to open some windows and have moved the office back to the bay window.

Last edited:
16F and in the third day of high winds here on Erie's North shore. Windchill -6 F. Dodged the snow bullet though. Must feed Chickens and walk dog. Procrastinating going outdoors.

My street was plowed at 3:00 this afternoon. YEA!! I was easily entertained by watching the dump truck-plow, the road grader and the little back hoe thingy work on my street. Of course that was the same time the mail guy showed up on the street to fill the neighborhood mail slots as well as some of the neighbors bringing their kids home from school. So, there was quite a traffic snarl on my little cul de sac. I went out to shovel all that rock hard snow away from my driveway and there was a lot of it. I gave my biggest smile to the dump truck guy as he passed by (I really was happy to finally see them). He came back and gave that hard snow a big push away from my driveway. It pays to flirt with the plow guys.:ROFLMAO:

Now all my neighbors are getting home from work to these big heaps of rock hard snow covering the entrances to their drives. Another reason I'm happy 2bretired.:ROFLMAO:

Cold here in western PA(20's) but no snow accumulations this year on the roads so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this lasts through the 22nd when I fly to FL for Christmas and New Years. I plan to get out of the cold again in Feb. when I visit old Army friends in Houston for a week. The wife plans to drag me from pillar to post as I have never been in TX before except to change planes in Dallas a couple of times when we lived in CA.

Fairly good snow storm here. Checked my pantry/frig/etc and goofed off for two days. Since I'm on a hill - went and tested my fwd Equinox just to see if I could make it - one side yes, the steeper side no.

Looked at my snow shovel on the front porch - and left it alone. The snow will melt in a few days and it's not hurting anyone, I have high snow boots.

Yep - being retired is good.

heh heh heh - ;)

Fairly good snow storm here. Checked my pantry/frig/etc and goofed off for two days. Since I'm on a hill - went and tested my fwd Equinox just to see if I could make it - one side yes, the steeper side no.

Looked at my snow shovel on the front porch - and left it alone. The snow will melt in a few days and it's not hurting anyone, I have high snow boots.

Yep - being retired is good.

heh heh heh - ;)

What about the mailman? I know that is a stupid question but I haven't (yet) lived in snow country. I'd think that the mailman could sue, if he slipped while trying to get to your mailbox on the front porch. Or maybe that is out on the street.

What about the mailman? I know that is a stupid question but I haven't (yet) lived in snow country. I'd think that the mailman could sue, if he slipped while trying to get to your mailbox on the front porch. Or maybe that is out on the street.

Never thought of that - I'll have to tell him to slip out in the street and sue the city. :LOL::LOL::LOL: The regular guy even gets along with my rowdy dogs.

As for the subs - I can wait a day or so to get my junk mail.

heh heh heh - It's when my internet connection goes down( about an hour this storm) that I get testy. :mad: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :greetings10:.

Definitely hard to get out of bed (flannel sheets, comforter) when the bedroom is 45F.

Mailman here stays in truck. Neighbor shovels away snow from mailbox approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom