This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on Ziggy! The weather radar for TX does look interesting to say the least. I have a feeling something is going to blow in my area before long.

Maybe. But a funnel cloud was just spotted 15 miles west of here and it's headed right for us.

There goes the weather radio with the warning....

Wow, that fizzled out in record time. We *may* have had a trace of drizzle from it.....

Whew!! I'm glad. Sounds like you dodged the bullet this time.

We had a little localized street flooding but that was about it. I don't know how many inches we got but a wild guess might be maybe 2-3".

Today I was awakened at about 8:15 AM by loud thunder, winds, and torrential rain, all of which are still continuing.

There was a small tornado that touched down 18 miles from me, and tore the roof off of a house. Television news is reporting widespread street flooding. The storms are impeding oil spill cleanup efforts. "Lake W2R" has re-appeared in my back yard, but the street in front of my house has only about 3 inches of flooding so far and my house is not in danger of flooding.

Looks like your storm will blow through pretty quickly.

Only a couple of weeks ago the NWS was reporting how unusually calm the Spring weather had been in the US...

Looks like your storm will blow through pretty quickly.

Good - - I hope you are right. Flooding is OK (here) if it isn't too deep, because we are used to it, but if this continues for too much longer it might start getting into houses. Our drainage system can only remove rainwater at the rate of an inch an hour if that once the canals fill up.

REWahoo said:
Only a couple of weeks ago the NWS was reporting how unusually calm the Spring weather had been in the US...

Spring weather must be arriving late. It seems to me that this has been a really odd year for weather. I hope that doesn't extend to hurricane season. 2004-2005 were bad enough for a while.

Edited at 9:01 to add: We now have a tornado warning (not watch) and flash flood warning in New Orleans.

Torrential downpours first thing this morning in Pensacola (with occassional thunder)...since it is FL, odds are good it will clear up a bit sometime today. I miss NJ!

Intellicast - Current Radar in New Orleans, Louisiana

Click on "Play Animation" to see how quickly the storm is moving.

Thanks! Looks like it will be gone by the time I finish my first cup of coffee. What a way to wake up! Good morning! :eek: :2funny:

Edited to add: TV news says the rain has been falling at a rate of 5.7 inches per hour during the storm and there is still a potential for hail. However, looking out my window, it seems to be slacking off now. Total rainfall in my neighborhood so far this morning is 5 inches, though it is more in other areas. They also said, "The line of storms is moving pretty slowly, but the storms are moving pretty quickly". Hmmm. I'll reserve judgment on that statement. Anyway, two more inches of rain is expected to fall in the next hour and rainfall is supposed to be less this afternoon.

Right now, police have blocked off some flooded streets and also there are reports of trees down. I don't have any trees any more. Hurricane Katrina brought down the medium sized one and weakened the huge one, and the latter was finally brought down by Hurricane Gustav, taking my fence with it. My formerly tree lined street is almost treeless these days.

It's been a really strange year for weather in many locations, hasn't it? We've had a number of days recently where both the a/c and the heat have run at different times of the day. Weird.

Looks like we missed the first 90 degree day by 1 degree. It would've been the earliest 90 in 20 years. Tomorrow should be close again with near 90 and >50% humidity. This is New Orleans or Florida weather. Most people around here are melting. I don't mind though. I don't even have the fan on let alone the AC. I'm actually wrapped in a blanket right now. I wish it was like this all the time instead of averaging less than 50 degrees 7 months of the year. I'll take 90 and humid over freezing anytime. Glad summers here!:cool:

It was really hot here today! But Aaron, it was only 90 degrees at 6 PM so you aren't much cooler than we are (though we do have wretched humidity problems). Summer is here. I went grocery shopping and very nearly melted before I was done. :LOL:

I'd prefer 65 and brisk, myself. But we'll get that next winter.

As far as I'm concerned 90 above with >50% humidity is just as bad as -40. Can't really do anything outside in either case. I'd rather have +60 than +90 anytime.

As far as I'm concerned 90 above with >50% humidity is just as bad as -40. Can't really do anything outside in either case. I'd rather have +60 than +90 anytime.

I know i'm unusual but I could stay outside many times longer at 90 degrees than I could even at 30 let alone -40. However, I do agree that +60 is better than +90. Low 70's is ideal.

I know i'm unusual but I could stay outside many times longer at 90 degrees than I could even at 30 let alone -40. However, I do agree that +60 is better than +90. Low 70's is ideal.
I've lived my whole life in Minnesota and North Dakota and do not handle heat very well.

I've lived my whole life in Minnesota and North Dakota and do not handle heat very well.

I've lived my whole life in east-central Wisconsin but still can't handle cold very well. It seems like most people here are like you not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom