This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather here is lovely.

In two weeks, the Mississippi River flooding is supposed to reach us. However, there are plans to open the Morganza spillway and the Bonnet Carre spillway, to lessen its impact upon Baton Rouge and New Orleans (respectively). These spillways divert the Mississippi excess down the Atchafalaya basin, so instead of flooding New Orleans some other, smaller towns will be flooded. Hardly seems fair but that is what they do.

I am a little nervous about flooding after reading about what is happening to our north, but F. says it will not affect us. Since he has lived here all of his life, he has a pretty good handle on these things.

Pre Katrina(1979-2005) that happened to us only one time. Parked on HWY 90 - untied the pirgoue from the power pole and paddled 400 ft down the drive to the front porch steps - for 3 wks.

heh heh heh - waaay above the wide Missouri(on the MO side) now - Kansas may flood across the river here. Post Katrina picked a house on a hill - :D ;).

My sympathies go out to those of you in the path of the flooding. It is truly horrendous. But, I have to report, that the three days of rain we have had here in Colorado have been VERY welcome! It was so very dry and even though the rain will grow the grasses and make the fire danger worse come summer and fall, at least our resevoirs will be full and we will have more water to fight the fires that do come.

Pre Katrina(1979-2005) that happened to us only one time. Parked on HWY 90 - untied the pirgoue from the power pole and paddled 400 ft down the drive to the front porch steps - for 3 wks.

heh heh heh - waaay above the wide Missouri(on the MO side) now - Kansas may flood across the river here. Post Katrina picked a house on a hill - :D ;).

Good decision, Unclemick!! :D Glad you are safe from flooding.

They did start opening the Morganza spillway today, a little at a time. So far, so good. I guess the real test will be to see if they can close it when the time comes. So far, no flooding whatsoever around here but the crest will not reach New Orleans until May 23rd. Should be a good test of our levees.

My heart goes out to the Louisiana residents that will be flooded . What a tough choice that must have been for the government . Hopefully they will figure out a way to make it up to these people who lost everything to save other cities .

The tornado today in Joplin, Missouri was awful! 75% of the town (population about 50,000 or so) is destroyed, and over 24 confirmed dead at this point. The tornado hit a big hospital which is now being evacuated and patients being taken to other hospitals in the region.

I guess there will be more news coverage of it tomorrow. Tonight I really didn't see much about it on national news media. I got some information here, at the website of the Springfield, Missouri newspaper:

Springfield News-Leader | Covering Springfield news and the Ozarks | News-Leader.com

(As for weather in New Orleans, just the usual - - hot hot hot and humid. Temperatures got up into the 90's today. Summer in the South.)

Last edited:
W2R, IIRC, you were planning to move to Missouri, thinking to avoid future natural disasters. Perhaps it's just as well that you have decided to stay in NOLA!

W2R, IIRC, you were planning to move to Missouri, thinking to avoid future natural disasters. Perhaps it's just as well that you have decided to stay in NOLA!

So, she has a choice between hurricanes and tornadoes, that's not good..........:LOL::LOL:

So, she has a choice between hurricanes and tornadoes, that's not good..........:LOL::LOL:

I was going to complain about having a frost advisory tonight but I guess things could be worse.

I thought of Hurricane Katrina when I saw the damage in Joplin. In some senses it is hauntingly reminiscent of what we experienced here after Katrina. I guess the death and destruction was an order of magnitude less in Joplin than here in New Orleans, but still if it is YOUR loved one who died, or your house that is gone, that doesn't matter so much.

People here often tell me, "but there can be a disaster any place!" I suppose that technically that is true. One can choose the disaster they prefer, though. I have been through hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornados (makes me sound as old as Methuselah, but I have). While the tornados and earthquakes didn't bother me as much, I really don't like hurricanes.

We decided to stay here for five years and reassess then. If we move up there at that time, I will probably get a house with a basement and hope for the best. I have to admit I would be pretty unhappy :mad: if I bought a house up there and then a tornado did to Springfield what this recent tornado did to Joplin.

Houses aren't selling up there very well. I noticed that a house that I saw at an open house a couple of years ago and liked then has not yet sold. It has gone down in price to $119,900. It is a good, solid house, too, with new HVAC, new roof, and more. (sigh)

We're about to get hammered by a thunderstorm with tornado warnings so I gotta go. I shut the computer down during thunderstorms.

We're about to get hammered by a thunderstorm with tornado warnings so I gotta go. I shut the computer down during thunderstorms.

Take care, Walt and any others who may be threatened by the tornado outbreak.

Interestingly, I just heard that last night there was an EF3 tornado in Bush, Louisiana. Bush is just 45 miles or so north of New Orleans. It destroyed a small handful of houses and injured a few people. Now that I think of it, we have had tornados in New Orleans before. Some years we have had several. We just haven't had any associated with the recent outbreak, and none of the tornados I recall here were huge monster EF5 tornados like the one that hit Joplin.

People here often tell me, "but there can be a disaster any place!" I suppose that technically that is true. One can choose the disaster they prefer, though. I have been through hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornados (makes me sound as old as Methuselah, but I have). While the tornados and earthquakes didn't bother me as much, I really don't like hurricanes.

Tornado History Project: Maps and Statistics

There aren't hardly any tornadoes in inland Michigan and especially not in northern or upper Michigan. You just have to be willing to accept cool summers, long winters, bad food, and a lack of culture :flowers:

And we've never ever had a hurricane!

Look, no deadly earthquakes either: Damaging Earthquakes in the US (1750 - 1996)

(above post is purely in jest, although those sites can be useful if one is hoping to avoid tornadoes and hurricanes and eatherquakes)

The ridiculous weather of this spring made its way to my area on Wednesday night. A tornado touched down about a 1/2-mile north of my home. Not the best of nights, to say the least. But we did get really prompt warning, so I am glad the technology and research is continually improving.

Tornado History Project: Maps and Statistics

There aren't hardly any tornadoes in inland Michigan and especially not in northern or upper Michigan. You just have to be willing to accept cool summers, long winters, bad food, and a lack of culture :flowers:

And we've never ever had a hurricane!

Look, no deadly earthquakes either: Damaging Earthquakes in the US (1750 - 1996)

(above post is purely in jest, although those sites can be useful if one is hoping to avoid tornadoes and hurricanes and eatherquakes)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Too COLD for me up there! There probably aren't any tornados, earthquakes, or hurricanes in Antarctica, either. :D

Last edited:
The ridiculous weather of this spring made its way to my area on Wednesday night. A tornado touched down about a 1/2-mile north of my home. Not the best of nights, to say the least. But we did get really prompt warning, so I am glad the technology and research is continually improving.

Glad you, yours, and your home are OK, steelyman. Take care! Glad you got some warning. That's pretty scary.

Glad you, yours, and your home are OK, steelyman. Take care! Glad you got some warning. That's pretty scary.

Thanks for the well-wishes. Yes, things are fine here now, and all is calm. I think maybe what was odd about Wednesday was seeing what was approaching and knowing what had happened in places like Joplin, Raleigh, and Tuscaloosa. My thoughts are with those people for sure.

It's odd when you live here in the "middle Midwest" (is that where Illinois is?). You wait and wait for winter to be over, then finally sit back for a bit and boom! the tornadoes hit.

Such is life, I guess.

According to our barely-literate local TV news-person, we'll have several "Storefronts" moving in this week. The thing is that she doesn't know that it should be "storm fronts" and not "storefronts."

I'm thinking of putting together a blooper reel, since she rarely goes more than 30 seconds without an error like that. I just wish I'd kept the recording of when she said "The car went off the road, and the man spent five days in the bottom of a raven."

According to our barely-literate local TV news-person, we'll have several "Storefronts" moving in this week. The thing is that she doesn't know that it should be "storm fronts" and not "storefronts."

I'm thinking of putting together a blooper reel, since she rarely goes more than 30 seconds without an error like that. I just wish I'd kept the recording of when she said "The car went off the road, and the man spent five days in the bottom of a raven."

Reminds me of one of my favorites:

YouTube - ‪Black and Gus‬‏

80 degrees (will hit 90), 80% humidity. Down almost 5 lbs so far in sweat (doing my best to keep up with liquids, but man oh man). I never had it so good.

Actually supposed to have several days without rain, but predictions for temps in 90sF. Might have to turn on A/C tomorrow.

Yehaa! Summer is here, finally!

Highs low 90's yesterday and today. I can finally shed the thermals and wear short sleeves.:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom