This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our town just started digging some wells near the river in town in case it stops flowing completely and we run out of water from the usual source. This is something that even old-timer life long residents here don't remember getting this bad, pretty much ever.

Would that be the Colorado, or the Pedernales? I've spent some time fishing, canoeing & swimming the the Colorado...just fishing the Pedernales though. Yep, it's awfully dry...

Lakes, ponds & streams are really low around here too. Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend & others are way down. The Red River looked pretty good to me last weekend, just about the way I like it for fishing.

Our town just started digging some wells near the river in town in case it stops flowing completely and we run out of water from the usual source. This is something that even old-timer life long residents here don't remember getting this bad, pretty much ever.
I suspect they are drilling, not digging. The granite formations in that part of the hill country are really tough on shovels. :)

Heat advisories are posted everywhere around here for tomorrow. It'll get up to low to mid 90's with a heat index in the low 100's. I don't know how i'll survive:rolleyes:

Yet they post nothing in the winter until it gets down to below -20 windchill. Even 10 degrees is far worse than 100.:confused:
I have the opposite view, it's 96 with 65% humidity right now. I'd take 20 degrees over this almost anytime. I'd be happy if it never got above 72.

I'd be happy if it never got above 72.

So would I as long as it never went below 62:)

I would take any heat that is ever experienced in the US over any temp below freezing. Although I would never be outside for more than 20 minutes either way.

I am the type of person who prefers heat to cold. Give me the eighties over the fifties anytime.

Fortunately, in Northern California our really cold weather ( 30's & 40's ) lasts only about 1-2 months. But even that is too long for me. I suspect my use of the term "really cold weather" will invoke peals of laughter and no small disdain from the folks who live in Canada......:D

C

Coolius said:
I am the type of person who prefers heat to cold. Give me the eighties over the fifties anytime.

C

+1. But it was 115 when I left Phoenix a few days ago. That's too hot for me. Tomorrow's forecast for northern il is 97 with a heat index of 106. I'd love to have a few months of sun with 80's

...really cold weather ( 30's & 40's ) lasts only about 1-2 months. But even that is too long for me. I suspect my use of the term "really cold weather" will invoke peals of laughter and no small disdain from the folks who live in Canada......:D

C
Not quite Canada, but pretty darn close in upstate NY with only 1.5 hour drive to the international border.

I have been watchig the intense heat wave, drought, flood and fire reports on the Weather Channel. It almost makes the lake effect snow seem bearable. Almost...:cool:

I don't even like it when it gets above 80F.

Ditto.

Recall the time when I arrived in the Baltimore area on a 4th of July. 101F and 90% humidity. This after having spent the previous summers in the Aleutians of Alaska. Sucked biiig time.

In the Laurel Highlands of PA rare to hit 90F. Have to drive down the hill towards Pittsburgh about 15 miles to feel the 90F.

Last edited:
Forecast highs for the next 9 days: 101, 102, 103, 103, 101, 100, 100, 102, 102.

Not a drop of rain.

DW and I have seriously started talking about this being the last Texas summer we ever endure.

Forecast highs for the next 9 days: 101, 102, 103, 103, 101, 100, 100, 102, 102.

Not a drop of rain.

DW and I have seriously started talking about this being the last Texas summer we ever endure.

I don't blame you one bit! That's awful. I have lived through thirteen Texas summers and they can be brutal.

We have been having brief torrential rainfall almost every afternoon, with minor road flooding, thunder, and lightning. Photos below. These rainstorms break the heat beautifully (although on days with no rain, we have been having 100+ record heat as well). Other than tropical storms/hurricanes, I like the weather here.

Attachments

• rain1.jpg
    rain1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 6
  • rain2.jpg
    rain2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 7
I've had my fill as well. After an initial detour to ETX this weekend to attend a wedding, we're taking the RV across the state to the mountains of New Mexico for a week or two. That's assuming the last trip to the dealership really did result in a fix for my check engine light fiasco...

Not a drop of rain.

While I was away over the 4th, I wanted to see the Missouri River flooding. While I was river watching a guy from Texas also was taking pictures. He said he wanted to take some pictures to take back home. He probably wanted to prove that there really was water in some places. The row of trees is the usual river bank...beyond the trees is Iowa and the flood.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 6
...we're taking the RV across the state to the mountains of New Mexico for a week or two. That's assuming the last trip to the dealership really did result in a fix for my check engine light fiasco...
What's the matter -- don't you want to be stranded in Pecos or Fort Stockton?

DH and I just came back from Taos, NM a week ago. They were having weather in the 90's while we were there. But after passing thru Childress TX where it was 118, we thought it was a great cool spell! We are off to England on Friday were it is in the low 70's today and that sure sounds like heaven. My patio reading is 105 right now.

I'm wearing thermal underwear and we had the heat on this morning.

And the rain continues, and continues, and continues... it has rained every day for a long time. Will it ever stop? (sigh) Oh well, at least it's not drought.

Attachments

• rain2.jpg
    rain2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 8
  • rain1.jpg
    rain1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
/Rant on Ok I live in Ontario Canada and it has not rained where I am since July 2 and very little for about three weeks before that. On top of that it is going to be nearly 100 F today. This will be a record high. On top of that it is humid. This morning while watching the shuttle land it was cooler in Florida and parts of Texas than it was here. My grass is brown and starting to blow away. Even the weeds are dying. This is not supposed to happen here! I can handle cold easier than this stuff. I would even prefer a reasonable amount of snow. /End rant

/Rant on Ok I live in Ontario Canada and it has not rained where I am since July 2 and very little for about three weeks before that. On top of that it is going to be nearly 100 F today. This will be a record high. On top of that it is humid. This morning while watching the shuttle land it was cooler in Florida and parts of Texas than it was here. My grass is brown and starting to blow away. Even the weeds are dying. This is not supposed to happen here! I can handle cold easier than this stuff. I would even prefer a reasonable amount of snow. /End rant
Relief should be on the way, it was 96 degrees and 75% humidity here in north eastern North Dakota yesterday. Today the high will be 79 and the humidity is about 45% now. Had some pretty spectacular thunderstorms last night. This air mass is slowly moving east.

I can handle cold easier than this stuff. I would even prefer a reasonable amount of snow.

Hey, no profanity on the forum. The "s" word is prohibited.:D

I probably hate this heat more than anyone else here because of my job. While most others are in a air conditioned office or home I am working 12 hours in 100 degree heat doing manual labor. I have to be very careful. Twice in the last week I have gone down to the ground for a few minutes because I wasn't physically able to stand. At least I didn't pass out like I did once in the past. As much as I dislike this heat it's still not as bad as winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom