Tips for Father-of-the-Bride Toast?

You should do one of your videos. Work on it ahead of time, then just stand up, click the remote, and all the pressure is off.

The real dilemma was selecting a song for the father-bride dance.

That's an easy one. I'm not a big country music fan, but I've never heard a better father/daughter dance than "I Loved Her First" by Heartland. Guaranteed to ruin more than one make up job.

When DD1 married I wrote a short speech welcoming my SIL into the family. Got about two lines in and ditched the speech and spoke from the heart.
Proud to have ruined every bridesmaid and mother of the groom's makeup.
Agree picking the song was tough. Everything teared me up....even Kermit the Frog doing Rainbow Connection.

make it short with a little humor. don't try to be a standup comedian. welcome the SIL and his family into your family and thank all the out of town guests for coming.

No one will remember it the next day beyond the bride and groom and the parents of the couple. Entertain all the guests but speak to them—they will expect a little humor, I’m sure.

In August I'll be giving a toast at my daughter's wedding. The pressure's on because I'm known among some as a funny guy.

Any tips or suggestions? Things that worked for you? Good speeches you heard?

This is the current start (Jenny=DD, Lena=DW):

It took me a long time to write this toast. Jenny told me that I would have to have it approved by Lena [true], so that meant I had to write two speeches!

Would people get that, or should I add, "The real speech and one to show to Lena"?

I like adding the clarification, "The real speech and one to show Lena".

I made a toast at our DD wedding three years ago. It went well, got a lot of laughs.

Here was my general outline:
1. Thank everyone for coming.
2. Say something nice about the wedding.
3. Say something funny about the groom, then follow up with something sentimental.
4. Say something funny about the bride, then follow up with something sentimental.
5. Wish them a happy marriage
6. Raise your glasses everyone!

Hopefully, your toast is early in the evening, before everyone is drunk. Mine was, and it was much better. If not, I would shorten it considerably. We witnessed a drunk Dad at one wedding, and he rambled on about his ex-wife, how she had to raise the daughter :blush:

This was pretty much the outline to my speech on 4.21.18 at DD's wedding:

1. Thank everyone for coming, especially the out-of-towners.

2. Mention to remember those who could not be here (passed relatives, etc).

3. Say something funny about the groom, then follow up with a welcome into the family. Also welcome in his side of the family (mom, dad, etc).

4. Say something funny about the bride, then follow up with something sentimental.

5. Wish them a happy and long marriage.

6. Toast the couple!

I find that: first marriage and/or trial marriage are good conversation starters.
My wife and daughter go angry crazy while my son-in-law and I laugh a lot.
Wine is an excellent accelerant.

Don’t reference/mention any past boyfriends, even jokingly . That went over like a lead balloon at one I attended years ago.
Keep it short and heartfelt. Even though you are known as a jokester, it will be even more touching if you are sincere and serious for a change.
And congrats! It seemed like it was just yesterday you were photoshopping the bra off the floor of her pigsty of a bedroom! :)

My dad and I danced to Goodnight Irene from the fifties. He used to talk about singing it on a bus on the way home from high school football games. It was a surprise for him. As the song went on, he started singing and directing the crowd with his arm. Lots of people started singing along.

We went to a wedding where the wedding couple danced to Love Shack by the B-52s as their first dance. That was fun.

As for speeches, we got married in May years ago during the NBA playoffs. Our best man started his speech by commenting how we had managed to squeeze the wedding in during halftime of the Portland Trailblazers playoff game.

Down here we don't do toasts at the wedding or reception. Now the rehearsal dinner is different and usually a roast, mostly the groom.

Do as your daughter asked and have your wife approve your toast. She knows you best, so if she's asking you to censor yourself then it's probably a good call. It's her day.

Do as your daughter asked and have your wife approve your toast. She knows you best, so if she's asking you to censor yourself then it's probably a good call. It's her day.

My DD or DW did not see (or ask to see) my written brief speech before I gave it. I really didn't read it, but just had it as a crutch. I guess she (DW) was busy worrying about other wedding activities that could go wrong (which they didn't).

I'll bet if you asked the wedding guests today (10 days after the wedding) what I said in my speech, no one would remember! :D

My DD or DW did not see (or ask to see) my written brief speech before I gave it. I really didn't read it, but just had it as a crutch. I guess she (DW) was busy worrying about other wedding activities that could go wrong (which they didn't).

I'll bet if you asked the wedding guests today (10 days after the wedding) what I said in my speech, no one would remember! :D

BUT his daughter did ask so don't you think that's telling. As far as your speech, maybe you can be trusted not to embarrass the bride.:flowers:

DH actually thanked everyone for coming and then surprised DD and everyone but me with a sweet song instead of a toast (the band leader made him prove he could sing before agreeing to accompany him). T-Al could incorporate a little song if the MOB lets him.

I had watched the following just before I came to this topic. Not exactly what T-Al is asking for, but funny nonetheless!

Then you can push the joke further, give Jenny a glare, turn to the guests and say something like, "Now, do I give the one Lena approved, or the other one?" And wave around two sets of papers to emphasize with a visual.

I could take it further ...

"Let's see ..." I read from the first paper. 'I'd like to thank everyone for coming ...'"

I switch to the other paper. "Or I could use this one ... 'Two lesbians walk into a bar ..."

Then Lena reaches over and grabs that sheet of paper, and crumples it up.

Just brainstorming here. Don't worry.

Last edited:
I had watched the following just before I came to this topic. Not exactly what T-Al is asking for, but funny nonetheless!

That was great--it had some good ideas. One I might steal: "Jenny didn't want me to give this father-of-the-bride speech, but I'm the only dad she has."

It was also interesting to see which jokes/stories went over well and which didn't. Thanks.

And there's always this one:

I could take it further ...

"Let's see ..." I read from the first paper. 'I'd like to thank everyone for coming ...'"

I switch to the other paper. "Or I could use this one ... 'Two lesbians walk into a bar ..."

Then Lena reaches over and grabs that sheet of paper, and crumples it up.

Just brainstorming here. Don't worry.

You better know your audience really well to attempt that one!

-ERD50

The father of the bride toast is a time for being sentimental not funny or just a tiny bit funny and a lot sentimental .

And now I need to do this:

That's the video Jenny sent me. She suggested "Shake Your Groove Thing," and I agreed, but it won't be elaborate.

Things I'll need to prepare for:

1. FOTB speech
2. Roast for rehearsal dinner
3. Father-daughter dance.
4. I'll be playing piano with bass and drum accompaniment at the reception.

Work, work, work!

That's the video Jenny sent me. She suggested "Shake Your Groove Thing," and I agreed, but it won't be elaborate.

1. FOTB speech

Work, work, work!

To each their own, but I think that is beyond corny, not even funny (the linked video, not the rest).

-ERD50

1. FOTB speech

Work, work, work!
I like it. :dance:

To each their own, but I think that is beyond corny, not even funny (the linked video, not the rest).

-ERD50

In terms of doing the fun little dance off themed stuff...

I think it serves a purpose, to create a sense of fun and relieve some stress from the rest of the ordeal...with that said, I would be stressed having to learn coordinated dance moves on top of everything else.

Something I thought was cool at a wedding I was at...The DJ played a couple songs where he asked all those who have been married 10 years of more to come to the floor.

He then started eliminating the dance floor, only those married 15 years continue to dance, and only those married 20 years, and 25, and 30 and so on.

It builds up quite a fanfare for the few that are left dancing to the end!

Back
Top Bottom