Tori is a star! Again!

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So we got a call and found out Tori's picture is going to be flashed over Times Square in NY on the day of the Down Syndrome Awareness Buddy Walk. The bad news is I'm in the picture, too!

img_420195_0_81483bebb8ad20fdc956c220800fad42.jpg

They passed the picture on, and we now found out the NY department of health will be using it in their broshure on Down Syndrome, and my only thought is, every new parent in New York of a child with DS will have to see my ugly mug and receding hairline? That's harsh! :LOL:

That's great laurence. Nice pic!

That's adorable! And Tori's kinda cute too. ;)

Martha said:
And you're cute too. :)

Laurence is cuter in person and has an engaging personality.  As I said before, Tori's pic doesn't do her justice.  Laurence's wife is no slouch either  ;)

Laurence said:
They passed the picture on, and we now found out the NY department of health will be using it in their broshure on Down Syndrome, and my only thought is, every new parent in New York of a child with DS will have to see my ugly mug and receding hairline?
I don't think we'll have to worry. You probably lost all rights to the picture, so they'll either crop you out of it or replace you with George Clooney...

You guys are too kind!  I'm very excited, Tori loves the spotlight and being the center of attention (DW isn't sure where she got that) so I think this and the Toys R Us catalog could be the start of something really neat for her.  One always hopes great things for your child, and our original dreams took a detour when she was born and we got the news.  But life is funny, she is already getting to do things many kids, "normal" or not, don't get to do or experience.  

Laurence said:
You guys are too kind!  I'm very excited, Tori loves the spotlight and being the center of attention (DW isn't sure where she got that) so I think this and the Toys R Us catalog could be the start of something really neat for her.  One always hopes great things for your child, and our original dreams took a detour when she was born and we got the news.  But life is funny, she is already getting to do things many kids, "normal" or not, don't get to do or experience.  

I think you and your DW are a testament to good parenting.

Is Tori coming up to speed a bit more now that Mom is around to help her?

Honestly, I don't want to sound like I'm making a "moral" stand on the issue, but Tori has really blossomed since DW stayed home. She started crawling, is standing with assistance, has about a dozen new words, twice as many new signs, and plays with her toys at a much more advanced level (it used to just be "bang, bang, bang" with everything, now she puts objects in containers, enjoys hiding things and herself, colors with crayons, much more fine motor coordination playing, and can chuck a ball clear across the room). I think it's a combo of more time being worked with, Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy twice a week, and more confidence...she spends less time "getting used to" a new area or a new person.

Sounds like an ordinary two year old, L. Not a terrible thing at all.

Huh, ordinary two year old is right. It's funny you use the word "terrible", since we are beginning to understand why they call it, "the terrible twos". I mean, she is still a sweetheart, but when she decides to give us grief....ugh!

Laurence said:
"the terrible twos".
The problem: When a two-year-old's cerebral speech capacity is far ahead of their vocal-cord ability.

The solution: Sign language. I've been meaning to ask TH how that worked out with Gabe, but I bet it would still show some improvement at this age.

Let's just say that our 13-year-old can still read & interpret sign language very clearly in certain situations. Especially if she makes eye contact...

Nords, our daughter is QUITE vocal and can easily make herself understood. Doesn't help with the temper tantrums and screeching...

Nords said:
The problem:  When a two-year-old's cerebral speech capacity is far ahead of their vocal-cord ability.

The solution:  Sign language.  I've been meaning to ask TH how that worked out with Gabe, but I bet it would still show some improvement at this age.

Let's just say that our 13-year-old can still read & interpret sign language very clearly in certain situations.  Especially if she makes eye contact...

Oh, we've taught Tori sign language, I higly recommend the "Signing Time" videos ("There's singing time and dancing time and laughing time and playing time and now it is our favorite time SIGINING TIME! It's SIGNING TIME with ALEX and LEA!"), and it helps a lot, because, we can focus her when she starts pitching a fit with some signs asking her what's wrong and she'll sign "thirsty, hungry, hurt" etc. Definitely a good move.

brewer12345 said:
Nords, our daughter is QUITE vocal and can easily make herself understood.  Doesn't help with the temper tantrums and screeching...
Good point, and I'd hate to imagine what life would've been like without her having that vocal pressure relief!

My grandson just turned 2. Learning signs kept him from frustration-tantrums while he built his vocabulary. I think it is a very valuable skill.

Kudos for your excellent parenting, Laurence, and your beautiful (and almost-famous!) daughter.

I get so tired of hearing politicians claim they stand for "family values." I prefer to see family values in action--thanks for making my day :)

That picture is so cute, but if they saw one of her in her glasses ... that's irresistable!

Laurence said:
They passed the picture on, and we now found out the NY department of health will be using it in their broshure on Down Syndrome, and my only thought is, every new parent in New York of a child with DS will have to see my ugly mug and receding hairline? That's harsh! :LOL:
Great picture Laurence. Looking forward to seeing you 2 showing up everywhere. :)

You shouldn't sell your self short, Larry. Have I ever mentioned how attractive I find you... ;)

You shouldn't sell your self short, Larry. Have I ever mentioned how attractive I find you...   

It's a good thing CA and MN are very far apart...  :eek:

L: my sister has down's syndrome...she is a moderate to severe case....looks like your daughter is mild (something always to be thankful for ;) )

Maddy, we are grateful she is so high functioning. I bet your sister is a joy, though! :)

I can understand why they want to flash that picture. She is adorable and you do sell yourself short. I am sure that she is such a joy!

Back
Top Bottom