Toys

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Confessions of an addict...

I like and buy what I call "toys"... mostly used stuff, mostly electronics, mostly old, and mostly things I saw and wanted in my earlier years.

Not motorcycles, or cars, or boats... or things that cost much more than $10, and usually much less. Things that I never knew about. Things where I didn't know how they worked. Things I couldn't afford in those years. Things that I don't need. Things that I don't want to collect. Things that I like to play with... and if they don't quite work right... things that I can fix. Things that, after I get tired of playing... will go back to the Goodwill, the Salvation Army Store, or one of the many resale shops in the area. Recycle, and at a total loss... things that I like to play with and enjoy.

The key is cost... My vintage leather bound Polaroid camera complete package cost $5 including one film pack. The Canon A1 Camera kit with the 3 $150 telephoto lens and a full flash and accessory package was $3. Opaque projector for $1 and a Viewmaster with disks for about $2. Computer stuff that I'd guarantee you've never seen or heard of... for a few dollars.

It's what you'd call a hobby.

The topic prompted by todays' purchase... A complete Panasonic video camera with all accessories and carry case... Virtually brand new, with some parts, never even opened from their sealed packaging. Since I always wonder about the original price, I looked it up... $848.00. I paid $3.99 and less my senior discount it came to $3.60.

Am checking it out, now... so far everything works... Can download TV programs, convert DVD movies back to VHS. the camera is what you might remember as the one used at news events, sporting events, and for home movies (VHS). Heavy... Takes two men and a boy to carry around,
A trip back to the 1980's.

So... one of my many hobbies. A new rule in our house... for every new toy, one MUST go back to the helper organizations. No EBay or garage sales... when one has an addiction, it is not right to profit, (though I have a secret belief that others share my affliction.)

Do you have any "addictions" ... toys or otherwise? Don't have to be sinful or non-profit. :)

Attachments

• Video Camera.jpg
    Video Camera.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Well, my addiction is LP's, I have a couple x000's Lots of fun!

Attachments

• 142.JPG
    142.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 21
Mine is lasers. All types but my favorites are CO2 and doped fiber diode pumped. At one point I had near 100 lasers but have reduced to just 11 now thanks to regular Lasers Anonymous meetings.

Stuffed animals, especially teddy bears. I can't resist them. My collection numbers in the dozens. I haven't added any to the collection lately.

More recently, houseplants and growing veggies and flowers indoors. I love to take cuttings from plants I see at friend's houses (with permission). I have no shame about snagging a spent flower head or seed pod to take home, dry it out, and try to grow it. I rarely buy starter plants from nurseries.

I just bought 10 new Glocks, all 9mm, which get picked up today. Does that count? That adds to my collection. I got a deal on them, and could not resist...

6- GLK 19 GEN4USA
2- GLK 17 GEN4USA
1 -GLK 26 GEN4 9MM
1- GLK 43 9MM

I just bought 10 new Glocks, all 9mm, which get picked up today. Does that count? That adds to my collection. I got a deal on them, and could not resist...

6- GLK 19 GEN4USA
2- GLK 17 GEN4USA
1 -GLK 26 GEN4 9MM
1- GLK 43 9MM

I had a customized glock 20 that I absolutely loved. Those 10mm are such flat shooting rounds.

Attachments

• G20 - Lim 1.jpg
    G20 - Lim 1.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 18
I outsourced the collecting long ago by getting married. Now I don't have to do anything and stuff just shows up in the mail.

I've since shed the addiction but at one time it was radio control airplanes, usually with wingspans about four or five feet. At one time they were stacked on a rack floor to ceiling, I think about 15 at the time.

Now it is photography. If I ever win the lottery (might help if I bought a ticket once in a while...) B&H Photo and Adorama Camera are gonna love me.

Wristwatches, usually on e-bay. I'm trying to ditch this jones and haven't bought anything for awhile but I still have the assortment and occasionally peruse the ads.

I collected radio control and control line unbuilt airplane kits from the 1950's through the 1980s. I had quite a few of them. Remember Hal DeBolt who made a line of R/C (and a few control line) kits from Buffalo? How about a complete collection of Sterling Ringmaster kits all the way up to the first R/C Ringmaster?

Sold all but a few and went straight. It was hard...........:(

I have nearly a thousand of these, they just keep coming and coming (like the mail). :rolleyes:

Attachments

• edisongoldmoulded.jpg
    edisongoldmoulded.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 19
I collected radio control and control line unbuilt airplane kits from the 1950's through the 1980s. I had quite a few of them. Remember Hal DeBolt who made a line of R/C (and a few control line) kits from Buffalo? How about a complete collection of Sterling Ringmaster kits all the way up to the first R/C Ringmaster?

Sold all but a few and went straight. It was hard...........:(

How about a voodoo plane? And the old McCoy .35 engines

I had a customized glock 20 that I absolutely loved. Those 10mm are such flat shooting rounds.

Nice! I am headed to FrontSight in October to have some fun with mine. I will likely bring my 17s, the DGF and I will be staying a week in the area, 2 days at FrontSight.

How about a voodoo plane? And the old McCoy .35 engines

I still have a few C/L kits in the garage and a full size built Ringmaster with a Fox .35 mounted on it. The Voodoo was a combat C/L with several variations from what I can remember. I never had one.

R/C ... That's probably where my toy addiction began... 1950 or thereabout...
Control line planes... McCoy .029... It was in the transition period between ignition engines and glow plug. My first engine was (ulp)... an O.K. Cub .75... A monster of an engine that I paid $2 for, because the ignition that was behind the crankshaft was broken. No glow plugs were available for this, so the manager of our hobby shop found one that fit.
The engine never ran more than 30 seconds at a time, but while my buddy was working on his plane, I'd be doing finger starts on an 8 inch propellor with the engine locked in a workshop vice. ... always hoping to hear that consistent roar. The dream was to build that 6 ft. wingspan freeflight. Never happened.
Later on, toyed with the microfilm indoor electrics...
Last addiction was to R/C sailing. Started with a power boat, and graduated to a competition rated Skandia one metre. Neighbors got jealous, and we ended up with a fleet, and NY Yacht Club rules... :LOL:

Attachments

• At the lake.jpg
    At the lake.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom