Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Great list, thanks for that.
I've watched Schitts Creek, Abbot Elementary and Bob's Bugers all of which I highly recommend and I'll be checking out some of the others.
Hulu Basic is also a place to watch the current network shows, at least the ABC ones since the new episodes are available the day after they air. I'm not sure if they still have access to the other network shows since everyone is hoarding their own stuff for exclusive streaming on their own platforms.

Pay the 99c and be done with it. There's always something you can do when the commercials run. Restroom, check your e-mail, grab a snack, grab a beer. Put the dog out, let the dog in, reply to or send new texts, I could go on and on....
I'm too cheap to pay the full price with ads but for 99c it's a no brainer for me and you can cancel at any time once you've watched everything you need.

I really, really don't like ads.

But you convinced me. I have Peacock streaming with ads and I survive the sparse commercials breaks. Plus, as you say, it's only $.99 a month and can cancel anytime. So, I'm in. I did not opt for Disney+.

It seems like if you want to watch sports and live TV, you pay through the nose no matter what you choose.

Yes, sports is expensive unless the game is on one of the broadcast networks and you can get it via an OTA antenna.

I'm a big college football fan and my favorite team is high in the rankings this year so most of their games are on one of the broadcast networks that I can watch on a local channel. When post season rolls around I will do a one-month subscription starting in mid December which will cover all the bowl games through the CFP National Championship on Jan 8.

I hate to pay to watch ads when I know I can watch free options like Pluto, Xumo, Tubi, Freevee, and more. Both the Hulu and Max deals include ads.

There is a way around this... it is a little time consuming (well, not really). That is to use your favorite video recording App (PlayOn, Audials, Replay Media Catcher, etc.) to record the show and then MCEBuddy to extract the ads.

I suspect this will also work for the provider's DVR function but have not tried it.

https://www.audials.com/en/home
https://www.playon.tv/
https://applian.com/order/order_RCAT7?page_tag=none&referral=unknown&
https://www.mcebuddy2x.com/

But you convinced me. I have Peacock streaming with ads and I survive the sparse commercials breaks. Plus, as you say, it's only $.99 a month and can cancel anytime. So, I'm in. I did not opt for Disney+.

I despise ads, too. But at least Hulu gives you an on-screen timer so you know exactly how long you have to wait for the show to return, which somehow makes it a wee bit less annoying. It's nice to know exactly when to un-mute, too.

I despise ads, too. But at least Hulu gives you an on-screen timer so you know exactly how long you have to wait for the show to return, which somehow makes it a wee bit less annoying. It's nice to know exactly when to un-mute, too.

Yes, that timer countdown is a nice "feature". I see that on Freevee and Peacock as well.

Looks like Hulu has more ads than Peacock. And I thought Peacock was just bearable.

https://thestreamable.com/news/repo...ce-offers-the-smallest-amount-of-ads-per-hour

I've been watching House on the Roku channel. It shows a countdown of ads (3 or 4) rather than a countdown of seconds.

Last edited:
My Son in law has Comcast internet and Sling and I'll go with Sling for the sports for a few months. I really don't care much about what's on TV anymore anyway. News is everywhere so you really don't need to watch that opinionated stuff.

On the bright side, you won't have to spend all that time rewatching Sopranos and can watch something new. :)

Hulu has some good original shows and movies.

They also stream FX shows. For instance, Fargo season 5 is premiering tonight on FX on basic cable. But it will be available on Hulu to stream.

They also have some shows in 4K. Only Murders in the Building with Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez is probably their biggest hit original. If you have a 4K TV, it looks spectacular, beautiful old NYC buildings.

But their ads were pretty bad. You can't skip past them and gradually they put in more and more and they ran longer. If you wanted to rewind to some earlier point in the show, you'd encounter the same commercial point again and would have to watch again.

But their ads were pretty bad. You can't skip past them and gradually they put in more and more and they ran longer. If you wanted to rewind to some earlier point in the show, you'd encounter the same commercial point again and would have to watch again.

Arrggghh... Yes. And if you want to go back to the show the next day and watch a particular scene, you have to endure all the commercial breaks anew.

aja8888, it isn't $0.99 but you can subscribe to a with commercials version of Max for $2.99/mo for up to six months. Deal ends 11/27.

Thanks, I think I'll try this. Recall this is the first time I have had to deal with all these streaming services since I shut down Comcast, which had all the sports I wanted to watch.

While I was living with my daughter and her husband this summer, while my house was being built, I had access to anything I wanted on their TV, sports wise. I was spoiled for years with cable.

We cut the cord a year ago now. I invested in a $100 antenna and installed it in the attic. With the exception of PBS we get all the local stations. I use the PBS Free streaming app on Roku for PBS. We do not subscribe to any "Pay" services and still get to see all the TV shows we like. We have 1gb Internet from the cable company. Not missing it yet.

Just finished "The Devils Hour S01" TV series and enjoyed it. Odd Ending though.

We cut the cord a year ago now. I invested in a $100 antenna and installed it in the attic. With the exception of PBS we get all the local stations. I use the PBS Free streaming app on Roku for PBS. We do not subscribe to any "Pay" services and still get to see all the TV shows we like. We have 1gb Internet from the cable company. Not missing it yet.

Just finished "The Devils Hour S01" TV series and enjoyed it. Odd Ending though.
I did the same 10 years ago, although the antenna was was low cost, but I probably spent over $100 when adding in the coax cable, an amplifier, splitter, and filters to optimize the signal. I even get a few OTA PBS channels. The main broadcast networks are all 50 miles or so away. I use a home theater PC using SageTV software for recording/DVR functionality, which I was already using when I had cable but have upgraded to a new computer since. And via the internet, I can find and watch plenty of things I like without having to use pay streaming subscriptions.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I did the same 10 years ago, although the antenna was was low cost, but I probably spent over $100 when adding in the coax cable, an amplifier, splitter, and filters to optimize the signal. I even get a few OTA PBS channels. The main broadcast networks are all 50 miles or so away. I use a home theater PC using SageTV software for recording/DVR functionality, which I was already using when I had cable but have upgraded to a new computer since. And via the internet, I can find and watch plenty of things I like without having to use pay streaming subscriptions.

I basically did the same about 7 years ago. I have an antenna in the attic and a channel master DVR to record shows. It reuses the same coaxial cables that the satellite/cable used. I also have problems picking up all the stations, because the antennas in the area are about 40-45 miles away. But I still get 50 or 60.

OK, I'm a bit disappointed in Hulu. I'm watching L.A. Law in lo-definition on Amazon Prime with no commercials. I read that L.A. Law had been upgraded to hi-def for Hulu. This was the main reason I bought Hulu on the Black Friday special.

Last night I gave L.A. Law on Hulu a spin. Turns out that hi-def means the lo-def 4:3 screen ratio has been enlarged to 16:9 to fit hi-def screens. No black bars on the sides of the picture. The picture quality is a bit sharper but there is a lot of grain evident. (I know that sounds contradictory, but it is so.) Also, the sound track quality is a downgrade from Amazon.

Just to compare I went to Amazon and started watching the same episode I was watching on Hulu. This episode on Amazon was also enlarged to fit 16:9 TV screens and was a tad grainy. Thinking back, I remember seeing an episode or two on Amazon that were 16:9 screen ratio earlier in Season 2. Then I went back to Season 1 on Hulu and saw that the episodes were lo-def 4:3 screen ratio with the black bars on the sides of the picture, same as on Amazon. Apparently Amazon has access to the same source material as Hulu. But there are no ads on Amazon.

It's possible that later seasons on Hulu will be in true high definition.

Oh well, I'm out $12.00 for the next 12 months. I'll likely find something else to watch on Hulu and endure the ads. Anybody watch "Only Murders in the Building?"

Last edited:
OK, I'm a bit disappointed in Hulu. I'm watching L.A. Law in lo-definition on Amazon Prime with no commercials. I read that L.A. Law had been upgraded to hi-def for Hulu. This was the main reason I bought Hulu on the Black Friday special.

Last night I gave L.A. Law on Hulu a spin. Turns out that hi-def means the lo-def 4:3 screen ratio has been enlarged to 16:9 to fit hi-def screens. No black bars on the sides of the picture. The picture quality is a bit sharper but there is a lot of grain evident. (I know that sounds contradictory, but it is so.) Also, the sound track quality is a downgrade from Amazon.

Just to compare I went to Amazon and started watching the same episode I was watching on Hulu. This episode on Amazon was also enlarged to fit 16:9 TV screens and was a tad grainy. Thinking back, I remember seeing an episode or two on Amazon that were 16:9 screen ratio earlier in Season 2. Then I went back to Season 1 on Hulu and saw that the episodes were lo-def 4:3 screen ratio with the black bars on the sides of the picture, same as on Amazon. Apparently Amazon has access to the same source material as Hulu. But there are no ads on Amazon.

It's possible that later seasons on Hulu will be in true high definition.

Oh well, I'm out $12.00 for the next 12 months. I'll likely find something else to watch on Hulu and endure the ads. Anybody watch "Only Murders in the Building?"
You're not locked in for the year.
Just cancel the service today, you will still be able to watch for the full month that you've already paid for and if you change your mind I think you can cancel the cancellation before it actually happens.

Only Murders in the Buliding is great.

And in 4k HDR.

I had a friend who lives in New England call me this weekend asking for help with a problem with her internet and program provider. Seem she was unable to stream any content. The best I could tell her internet connection was fine. She gets most of her programing from a company called Eye Stream TV.

Went to the website this morning.https://eyestreambeej.now.site/home According to my friend she get local and premium channels, PPV, ESPN even NFL Game Pass for $40.00 per month. Roku, Firestick and other android devices are supported.

Does anyone have experience with this company? Seems like the bit torrent sites for downloading pirated software in the past.

Thanks!!!
No experience will them, will check them out.
Here is what I currently use.
Stremio + Torrentio + Real Debrid for TV Shows and Movies.
Antenna for local channels.
Don't watch sports.

Today my commitment to cord cutting will be tested. I learned that the Michigan/Alabama game is on ESPN. I can find no free or inexpensive ways to watch ESPN. To watch ESPN, you have to have a cable provider. The cheapest option I can find is Sling TV, normally $40/mo but currently half off for the first month. So, for $20, I can watch the game.

Unfortunately, Sling TV is very stripped down and there’s not really anything else I’d want it for. For example, if I get Max(HBO) for a month to watch Barbie, there are other shows I’d watch, making the cost to watch Barbie relatively cheap because I’d divide the cost by more than just one show. Sling TV will just give me channels that I already decided I don’t watch, hence the cord cutting.

So today I have to decide if listening to the game on the radio is good enough or if I bite the bullet and pay the $20. Of course that’s still cheaper than the $70/mo I was paying for cable tv but it’s poking at my principles. I wanted to stay around $20/mo for streaming services like Hulu and Peacock, rotating services as I get tired of what they offer.

Today my commitment to cord cutting will be tested. I learned that the Michigan/Alabama game is on ESPN. I can find no free or inexpensive ways to watch ESPN. To watch ESPN, you have to have a cable provider. The cheapest option I can find is Sling TV, normally $40/mo but currently half off for the first month. So, for $20, I can watch the game.

Unfortunately, Sling TV is very stripped down and there’s not really anything else I’d want it for. For example, if I get Max(HBO) for a month to watch Barbie, there are other shows I’d watch, making the cost to watch Barbie relatively cheap because I’d divide the cost by more than just one show. Sling TV will just give me channels that I already decided I don’t watch, hence the cord cutting.

So today I have to decide if listening to the game on the radio is good enough or if I bite the bullet and pay the $20. Of course that’s still cheaper than the $70/mo I was paying for cable tv but it’s poking at my principles. I wanted to stay around $20/mo for streaming services like Hulu and Peacock, rotating services as I get tired of what they offer.
Or you could go to a Chili's Applebees,Texas Roadhouse or most any sports bar and get a meal while you watch the game. :cool::popcorn:

Yes, a subscription to Sling (Orange) is the lowest cost option I've found to get ESPN. I'm a big college football fan so I grudgingly plan on paying for a one-month subscription starting around Dec 10 each year, which allows me to see all the bowl games through the national championship during that one month period.

I count it as a BTD splurge, an annual year-end gift to myself.

Or you could go to a Chili's Applebees,Texas Roadhouse or most any sports bar and get a meal while you watch the game. :cool::popcorn:
That meal, especially if you are sticking around for the entire game, may cost more than $20. I don't envy cord cutters where sports are a big priority. It doesn't seem to be getting any easier to keep costs down.

Fortunately for me, all the teams I follow (University of Illinois, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers) not only stink, they really stink. Not worth watching.

I am a Carolina Hurricanes fan and pony up $20 per month for the specific regional sports subscription, only during the season.

If you like sports, cord cutting is difficult.

I was hoping to catch a few random college bowl games this season on over the air. To my dismay, there are nearly none shown anymore OTA.

Back
Top Bottom