Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

To each his own, but I cannot imagine spending more than about 5 minutes watching any sort of ball game. If I had to pay extra to get even that 5 minutes I would stay up at night figuring out how to stop it.

Now, I do enjoy watching highlights of foil sailing, but would never consider specifically paying for it.

And, yeah, I recognize I'm probably silently carrying some of the cost, anyway, due to contracts between various companies.

To each his own, but I cannot imagine spending more than about 5 minutes watching any sort of ball game.
I feel the same except for NFL. But fortunately, I've been able see enough games for free with my antenna to satisfy me.

You might want to consider doing a 7-day free trial of Fubo.

I’m right there with you. I was just looking at that option last night. In doing so, I saw their standard pricing. Oh my - $75 and up. No way. But, for 7 days, it might be a good way to go.

NFL will be streaming a Wildcard game exclusively on Peacock. This is turning into Pay-Per-View

At least Peacock is only around $6 per month and there are other things that I might be interested on Peacock. Looking at Sling, $20 for the first month, there was nothing extra that I’d be interested in. Still, I hope the Lions are not that one game.

I had gigabit for $60/month through CenturyLink. They did something to mess up my internet and weren’t able to fix it. Their incompetence was frustrating (it’s a long story).

I ended up going with Quantum Fiber, which ironically is still part of Lumen/CenturyLink. They charged $70/month for gigabit, but $50/month for 500Mbps. I went with 500Mbps.

I’m a heavy data user and haven’t noticed any difference. And with the bonus of saving $10/month.

My Comcast bill jumped a whopping $9/mo, and that's for ZERO change in my bandwidth or data cap. Still internet only service 75 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up.

Very unhappy with the outrageous Comcast Internet Package
that is now billing me for ~$210.00 a month. DW and I think that this is
extreme inflation or highway robbery.

Any suggestions for cheaper plan options?

Healthy,

Are you getting "push" TV channels for that price?

Our solution was easy ... we sat down one eight about four years ago and went channel by channel. Voting Yes, No, Maybe ... actually did this a couple of times. Out of 200 plus channels we came up with about two we considered Yes, another 3-4 Maybe ... the rest just junk.

It's been $50-70 a month internet only since then. We had always paid separately for Prime and Netflix and Britbox, so continued with those.

StarLink
https://www.starlink.com/service-plans?referral=RC-186797-41498-31&utm_source=paid_b2c_ww_search_google_sitelink_serviceplans_2023_12_29_evergreen&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy9msBhD0ARIsANbk0A-nOxNMFeDVsvKDaM9YJS91tXHEfAcDp3P56cCJqaRPXNS5HVzxZSwaAoxZEALw_wcB

My Comcast bill jumped a whopping $9/mo, and that's for ZERO change in my bandwidth or data cap. Still internet only service 75 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up.

My sister lives in Everett, WA and I just switched her from Xfinity/Comcast to Ziply fiber. It's the 400/400 plan for $50/month ($40 service/$10 modem). It was coming up on her Xfinity annual renewal and I've grown weary of the annual arm wrestle trying to keep her bill down since I pay for her internet. I use Twitter DM's to communicate with them in writing versus a phone call.

She was at $70 for a basic download speed that worked for work-from-home and home streaming needs. I figured her new rate would be close to $80 at renewal since there was already a note on her online account about some $2.99 random increase as of Jan 1.

Somehow I discovered Ziply and found out they had already run the fiber to her apartment complex. They apparently run it to the old phone room because they finished the install in her apartment at her phone jack. She started on Dec 14th and all has been well. I pay to rent the modem so there is no finger-pointing about equipment if something goes wrong. She works from home (for a magazine publisher) so having internet is critical.

If you have the option of Ziply fiber, you might want to give it a try.

If you have the option of Ziply fiber, you might want to give it a try.
Never heard of it, but I have kept up with the options over the years as I came from another provider to Comcast back in 2020. We do have two fiber internet providers in the city, but neither provides service in my specific neighborhood, and the price wasn't much different. There are no other good options. I had wireless before, and it was slower and sometimes dropped out.

The partially good news is that I found out part of my $9 increase was due to Comcast changing my autopayment discount from $10 to $5 at the beginning of 2024. I can get that back to $10 discount by changing to checking account instead of a credit card. So at that point, my increase for 2024 will be $4/mo instead of $9/mo. Total net will be $56/mo. I use my own $25 modem.

Late last year, I had read an article that said Comcast was increasing internet service $3/mo, just like mine did the previous 3 years, after speed had been increased 2 of those years, but I had a note on my previous billing statement that said mine was estimated to go up $4/mo, so I wasn't happy about that as it was. A bigger increase with no speed increase when they say inflation in moderating. I had missed the wording lower in the bill about autopayment changes. Looks like they tried to slip it through without people noticing, and I don't examine every last word on my bill every month. So, it was a shock to see my bill jump $9/mo to $61! So, at least I can get it to $56 for this year - still too high for no increase in speed, which I don't need, anyway.

Last edited:

We dropped down to the bare bones Comcast cable package, I think it's called Limited Basic, for $30 plus tax. You get the local channels, TBS, CNN, FOX news, FOX Business, the shopping channels, some weather channels, some music channels.

For content we get paid for streaming services like Paramount+, Hulu, BritBox. There is also a lot of free content by streaming Pluto TV, Tubi, Roku Channel, Freevee.

Of course you have to be able to stream which means you need a decent internet connection with decent speed.

Quick question regarding Sling TV. If I happen to find a live show in the guide that has already started, say 5 minutes into a 60 minute show, can I only record starting at that point 5 minutes into the show?

I seem to recall some streaming services allowing you to record the whole show even if it's already started (maybe even completely played, within a certain timespan). I sense Sling isn't one of those services, but I wanted to check to see if I missed it.

I can't answer your question since I have not subscribed to Sling but I have the app on my TV and they are offering 10 hours of free DVR recording with Sling Freestream if you open an account probably so they can send you offers to upgrade to the paid version.
It won't cost you anything to sign up and try it for yourself at no cost and please report back if you do.

https://www.sling.com/freestream

Just cut off Sparklight cable. Last bill including internet was $261. When shutting off there was no push back and the agent on the phone said that Oh By The Way there is a cheaper internet with unlimited data for $55. Same speed as what I had been paying $15 more dollars for. So anyway, YouTubeTV, $74, is working fine to replace upstairs and downstairs TIVOs. The interface is not as slick as TIVO, but my monthly bill is much more reasonable. Now if I could just get my wife to agree that a new tv would make everything even better!

I had the comcast cable tv and phone disconnected on 11-27-2023-so three months ago. I don't miss it one bit. Bill went from $280 to $140-I kept the high speed internet. I went into the local xfinity store and received no push back. They were very helpful.
Anything I watched on regular cable I can get on HBO/MAX-on demand and so much easier!
We have a new internet company with high speed internet coming to the hood. They are currently tearing up yards/sidewalks to install their equipment. Supposed to be half the price of comcast internet with a slightly lower speed. I don't actually understand it but my son does and he says it won't be noticeable. I might try that once they get the kinks worked out.
I am so happy that I got rid of cable tv-no commercials including political ads!

You pay Comcast $140 just for Internet?

My Comcast 75 Mbps is $56/mo with autopay discount and owning my own modem.

Looks like gigabit would jump mine up to $106/mo, and some places have 2000 Mbps service and required modem rental, which could drive it up even higher.

What internet speed is sufficient for streaming HD video to one 55-inch TV (Hisense 55U7G) while surfing with a tablet, Windows 10 PC (HP Envy 17-ae1xx), including occasional youtube at the same time?
(Cable Modem Arris SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0, Router WRT 3200 ACM)

We have a new internet company with high speed internet coming to the hood. They are currently tearing up yards/sidewalks to install their equipment. Supposed to be half the price of comcast internet with a slightly lower speed. I don't actually understand it but my son does and he says it won't be noticeable. I might try that once they get the kinks worked out.
I am so happy that I got rid of cable tv-no commercials including political ads!
Sounds like fiber. If so, that’s a good alternative.

When I cancelled our cable Comcast internet went from $45 to $55, and now a few years later it’s $90. This is a legacy business for them and they have no qualms sticking it to markets where there is no competition.

Sounds like fiber. If so, that’s a good alternative.

When I cancelled our cable Comcast internet went from $45 to $55, and now a few years later it’s $90. This is a legacy business for them and they have no qualms sticking it to markets where there is no competition.

It is fiber.
I meant to add that Comcast has no competition from another internet provider that offers fiber. The new company coming in, Race Communications, is currently tearing up streets and yards to put in fiber so it will be interesting to see what happens with some competition.

I was paying Comcast 260 or 280 or something like that for the tv/internet/phone bundle.

I went to internet only and it's $132. I complained at the xfinity store because I heard from a couple of people who pay less. The salesman told me to watch for deals. Right.

What internet speed is sufficient for streaming HD video to one 55-inch TV (Hisense 55U7G) while surfing with a tablet, Windows 10 PC (HP Envy 17-ae1xx), including occasional youtube at the same time?
(Cable Modem Arris SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0, Router WRT 3200 ACM)
Depends on what you’re doing on the tablet and PC, but odds are you’d be fine with 100 mbps. HD TV only uses about 5 mbps, even 4K uses less than 25 mbps.

When we cut the cord in 2018 we only had 65 mbps, and DW and I sometimes watched both HD TVs and used our tablets, iPhones and PCs no problem. Now we have 300 mbps only because that’s the slowest plan available to us.

Time to figure out the cheapest way to stream March Madness. I have an OTA antenna paired with a Tablo. Women's National Championship Game is April 7th on ABC and Men's is April 8th on TBS.

Came across this: "Specifically, men's games are on CBS, TBS, TNT, and truTV, while women's games are on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, and ESPNU. Hulu + Live TV is the best TV provider for watching March Madness because it has every tournament channel and includes ESPN+ for extra college basketball coverage. Sling TV offers a cheaper alternative to watching NCAA basketball, but you’ll need an OTA antenna to watch games that air on ABC and CBS."

https://www.cabletv.com/sports/watc... are on,for extra college basketball coverage.

We just got fiber in our area, I took 250mbps up/down to try it and I am convinced it is faster overall from a connection perspective and no different in performance than my 900mbps from Xfinity. I probably DL 3 - 5 Tb of data a month so I consider myself a heavy user. I fired Xfinity a day after installing fiber. I have not noticed any different in connections and I have 25 devices on my network, 11 of which are hard wired with cat8 and the others are wireless.

The only streaming I do is from free services like PBS, Bloomberg, YouTube, our local TV station. I use online free services for MSNBC, CNN, The Weather Channel and others that I Mirror cast to my TV as needed.

Maybe if you have 100 or so simultaneous devices you may need higher speeds. Very happy so far, as is my wallet. I think a lot of folks get sold a bill of goods to justify super-fast internet when they really only need a slower connection. I know a few folks that have 1gb internet for less connections than me. All it gives them IMHO is bragging rights. :)

Last edited:
Prices for streaming services so I can get March Madness. In my area to get all of the stations I want: $77 (rounded) for Hulu+Live.

Sling Orange and Blue is $27.50 for the first month (half off), plus I need Sports Extra ($11) to get ESPN News. Apparently some of the games are on ESPN News. Total $38.50.

Direct TV $100 a month.

Local Cable provider is Spectrum - $65 for Select, plus $7 for Sports Extra (ESPN News), plus $23 local broadcast surcharge = $95.

YouTube TV is $73. There is a discount for some period but the fine print is too lengthy to ponder, at this point.

Fubo does not have TBS, TNT and TruTV. I think it would be $60 for a trial period, but without those channels:confused:

Philo does not have most of the channels.

Looks like Sling Orange and Blue with the Sports Extra is the winner. But, I will not sign up until next weekend as only the first month is discounted.

Back
Top Bottom