Update on Military FIRE journey....

EpicRider

Dryer sheet aficionado
It has been a while since I posted, but I am still a regular reader and appreciate all the updates and perspectives provided on this board.

- My update....
- Military transition is almost complete, in the final 50 days before we drive out of California...
- Sold California home for a little over listing; love SOCAL real estate when the timing works out. We are very thankful. :dance:
- Future home purchased last year in Colorado and our renters have been great. :dance:
- Applying all the information on this site and others about maximizing our "military transition" planning. Everything tracking. Draft budget completed for home in Colorado; funds available for refinancing 15 year VA mortgage; military VA disability claim filed and pending C&P exams, etc....; military move planned and pending. Our 15th move! :dance:
- Evaluating "bridge options" but have budgeted for FIRE option based on projected expenses. Will need a few months in CO to confirm but have funds to take our time.

Appreciate all the information posted on this board! Thank you!

Few pic's of the area around our CO home.....a lot of trails, hiking and biking.....

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 57
Congrats! I think you will enjoy being a member of the Blue Card Mafia. It's a great club to belong to!

Property looks great. Colorado is on the very short list for our last home.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Congratulations on reaching the end... freedom in sight.

Good luck with the move and transition.

Glad to see that everything's on track!

When you're finished with the VA, let me know if you have any lessons to pass on about your C&P exams or your disability rating.

Update after the move & "bridge" job offer.....

We survived our move to Colorado Springs, although the process was full of challenges, probably just getting harder with age. Still need to receive our final shipment of household goods, but we are ready.

- NORDS, I will let you know about the C&P process, I reviewed a lot of information related to the process and it was helpful. The VA Reps have been very good, but the process still seems a bit overly complicated. I should receive my rating letter no later than ~Feb 2017.

Only new transition challenge....I received a Federal Job offer for a position that I am interested in and it provides a great "bridge" career option.

I was not expecting it because I have heard so much about the difficulty of getting a Federal position, regardless of connections or background. Anyway, I followed the recommended process for applying to Federal positions, drafted a very detailed job specific resume for USA Jobs, made it through screening, referral, interview and received a final offer. It is for a GS-14 position with a large military command in Colorado Springs. It is a new position, so not much to go on, but I expect it will provide me a good opportunity to evaluate if I really want to continue working for at least few more years. I like the mission of the command, although, I need to start a little sooner than I would prefer. Based on the difficulty of finding similar positions in Colorado Springs, I feel fortunate to get the opportunity and excited to see how it works out. Worse case, I am still set up to validate my retirement budget and believe we can make it just fine on my projected military pension and savings....time will tell.

Best to everyone and appreciate all the information posted on this site, continues to provide me a lot of good advice and motivation for the future. :)

Few pic's of our travel to Colorado and our new neighborhood....

Attachments

• IMG_3830.jpg
    IMG_3830.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8219.jpg
    IMG_8219.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 33
  • NISX1179.jpg
    NISX1179.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 33
ER

I know it's become a cliche but Thank You for your service to our country.

2soon2tell
USN 69-72
100% DAV

Congratulations! As I tell all recent military retirees that I meet these days, "You're my hero!" Looking forward to joining the ranks.

Congratulations on your successful move. An interstate move gets tougher the older you get. We made our last move when I was 61 and probably have another coming in a few years.

Love the Bronco, looks to be in really nice condition. Early 70's model?

Great pics! Colorado is a great place. I'll be getting my "blue card" club membership in about 14 months.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Congrats on the many options you have going forward!

Thanks, we are excited about this next phase of life and trying some other options.

The early Bronco is 1969 but with a few updates.....351W, chevy disc front brakes, Dana44 front axle, rear detroit locker, a/c, oil/tran coolers....set up more for the California desert but should be fine in the limited light off roading I plan to do in CO.

- NORDS, I will let you know about the C&P process, I reviewed a lot of information related to the process and it was helpful. The VA Reps have been very good, but the process still seems a bit overly complicated. I should receive my rating letter no later than ~Feb 2017.
Thanks! Sounds like they're plodding right along.

If you have to work, it might as well be in Colorado Springs. And if you have to work at a military command, you could pick them worse than that one.

Hopefully other COS posters will chime in or send you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom