Use only your phone wallet - has anybody come close.

Now if I could get my Costco card in my digital wallet, and thus on my watch, and they would accept that at the door…..

But, researching Costco makes it clear that they don’t intend to support digital wallets with their membership card.

My watch warns me if I get too far away from my phone. Doesn’t happen unless I go for a walk in the neighborhood. My phone lives in the house or in my purse. I might occasionally take it out in the car.

I can use the Apple Wallet but it's a hassle (to me). Have to unlock the phone with passcode, start up the app, enter passcode again and then scan. Easier to just tap my card.

But all I have to do with my phone is tap and swipe up and then double-click the power button and the phone is ready to pay. It uses face recognition. Not bad but the watch is way easier.

On my iPhone 13 mini I don't have to unlock the phone or do the "tap and swipe." I can just double tap the side button and it opens right to the Apple Wallet. Face ID knows it's me and it offers me my default card.

This is my first iPhone, so maybe they've made it more direct on the newer ones.

If I didn't already have an analog wrist watch that I love, I'd be thinking about the Apple Watch. Love the technology!

Last edited:
On my iPhone 13 mini I don't have to unlock the phone or do the "tap and swipe." I can just double tap the side button and it opens right to the Apple Wallet. Face ID knows it's me and it offers me my default card.

This is my first iPhone, so maybe they've made it more direct on the newer ones.

If I didn't already have an analog wrist watch that I love, I'd be thinking about the Apple Watch. Love the technology!
Ahah! You are correct, the double click power button wakes up, face recognition check, and ready to pay. Duh! Thanks. Showed me! (also iPhone13)

The Apple Watch is so much more useful than a timepiece. It is a terrific iPhone companion with an unbelievable number of handy uses. At home, phone can be anywhere in the house, but watch is handy to handle most of my home tasks.

I initially got the watch because I wore both a watch and a Fitbit on my wrist. So the Apple Watch replaced that duo back in 2015. But then I discovered it did so much more, and they keep adding useful functions. Heck now I can even see a graph of my sleep every night on my phone in the Health app - how much time in REM, core, deep sleep or awake. Amazing!

Last edited:
Must have been 8 or more years ago, a colleague asked me: If you left your house and realized you'd forgotten your phone, you'd go back for it. Wallet? can do without for a day if needed. If you're using apple or google pay, or apps at stores with your cards linked, I could see a phone working for most day-to-day stuff.

I have used my phone to help me find docs I needed that I never carry in my wallet, and it works like a charm.

Interesting. I often leave my phone at home but would feel positively naked without my bi-fold wallet. YMMV

They should just jump to a Verbal license.
Just ask me who I am, and where I live.
They will see my photo when they pull up the license on the car computer. :cool:

Makes all kinds of sense, but that's "Just not the way we do things.":LOL:

Seriously, BIL who was a LEO had all kinds of tricks to check people out, but having their license in his had gave him virtual control over them in his mind. He "owned" any driver whose license was in his hand. It was a power thing that most LEOs wouldn't want to give up. Maybe things have changed enough now that "Verbal" would w*rk. It most certainly wouldn't have been acceptable back when BIL was on the force (though YMMV.)

The original thief was relieved to see the people that surrounded him one day were FBI, because he knew the people with the money were out to kill him to get rid of the link to him.

Heh, heh, you know you're in trouble when you hope the FBI finds you before your partners in crime. Choose your c@reer (and your friends) well.:LOL:

HECK NO ! Besides, most of the time my phone stays in the truck anyways.
My wallet normally only has my DL, Debit and Insurance Card, Concealed Carry Permit and Cash. My bring a Store card if planning on going someplace for a large purchase.
If travelling will bring a regular CC for a just in case backup.

Woohoo! The local Kroger store now has tap and pay credit card terminals. My Kroger card is on my phone and I can once again use Samsung Pay to pay. It was the one thing that I really missed when I upgraded my phone. My old phone worked with the old mst card readers but for the last 6 months I’ve had to pull out my wallet and pay with an actual credit card. Yeah, first world problem, but it makes me happy to use only my phone at the grocery.

I have been venturing out with only my car key and phone more lately.

Apple Pay and my Apple Card can be used most places now. I get 3% cash back to my Apple Savings when I use Apple Pay. No reward points. Daily straight cash homie.

I do still run into places that need a physical CC.

I can technically even leave my phone at home because my Apple Watch supports Apple Pay. I do like these technology advances.

I can technically even leave my phone at home because my Apple Watch supports Apple Pay. I do like these technology advances.

I just got a hand-me-down Apple Watch Series 2. I set up Apple Pay and added a credit card. I haven’t been out in a store yet to try paying with the watch. Do I have to have my iPhone with me? Or can Apple Pay on this one work without the phone?

DH and I had a giggle when I called his phone from my watch. Dick Tracy moment!

Came back to note that a few months ago I asked the same question in this thread. But I didn’t actually have an Apple Watch back then. I just need to go to a store and try it, I bet it will work without the phone.

Last edited:
I just got a hand-me-down Apple Watch Series 2. I set up Apple Pay and added a credit card. I haven’t been out in a store yet to try paying with the watch. Do I have to have my iPhone with me? Or can Apple Pay on this one work without the phone?

DH and I had a giggle when I called his phone from my watch. Dick Tracy moment!

If the Series 2 supports Apple Pay you do not need your phone present. It will sync up when back in range of your phone.

I use my watch to purchase from vending machines with no phone around.

If the Series 2 supports Apple Pay you do not need your phone present. It will sync up when back in range of your phone.

I use my watch to purchase from vending machines with no phone around.

Yep! I was at Aldi today. Had my IPhone and my Apple watch. When I got to the checkout I turned my phone OFF. And I was able to use the Apple Watch to tap and pay.

Nifty!

Soooo - Will I be around long enough to - 'go to the store pick out stuff and leave with auto deduct via cameras'. I already have sound ID phases for login on some of my financial accounts.

Heh heh heh - caught a TV blurb the other day - the average person in some East Coast cities is viewed by security cameras 16 times a day. :angel: :confused: ;)

I don't have a wallet and I do not use a phone. Instead I use Apple Watch to pay in grocery stores. In fact, even small businesses support Apple Pay in my area. Moreover, some credit cards has special perks for mobile wallets. For example, right now Discover It provide 5% cash back if you pay with this card using mobile wallet (Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, etc.). What I like about Apple Watch is that it does not require a data plan or cellular phone to be around. You just need to connect your watch to wifi once in a while.

I used the Hilton app on a recent trip. It let me check-in hours before arrival and has a digital key (bluetooth?) feature. I never had to stop by the front desk. I took another trip and stayed at a Marriott. Their app worked inconsistently and turned out to be less convenient than using a keycard.

I just returned from a month-long European trip and with one exception I never had to take my wallet or my phone out of my pocket to pay for anything. Just the Apple Watch, even in the remotest areas.

I used the Hilton app on a recent trip. It let me check-in hours before arrival and has a digital key (bluetooth?) feature. I never had to stop by the front desk. I took another trip and stayed at a Marriott. Their app worked inconsistently and turned out to be less convenient than using a keycard.

I started using the Hilton mobile (digital) key feature during the pandemic. The ability to go straight to your room and completely bypass the front desk is wonderful. You can usually pick your room too. Now Hilton lets you send a copy of the key to another person Hilton member. That’s even handier.

Yes, Marriott is less reliable in this respect. A lot of hotels don’t support it even though their app acts like they do. Still checking in from the app saves a lot of time.

Back
Top Bottom