Use only your phone wallet - has anybody come close.

Good idea. I'll try that and be certain it is acceptable to them. Usually, they take my cards and keep them for anything from 2 to 15 minutes while they deal with phone calls, other patients, and other cards. Eventually they call me back and return my cards. Not sure a quick look at my phone would w*rk in such an environment. I'm actually kinda glad they have gone to a more efficient office (used to be 3 people - now one busy one.) YMMV

Take pictures of both sides of the cards. One doc I just started going to had me upload them to their website when I was first registering for an appointment online. That way, they are already in their system.

Take pictures of both sides of the cards. One doc I just started going to had me upload them to their website when I was first registering for an appointment online. That way, they are already in their system.

My docs have a machine that copies them into their system. BUT they want to do that every time (or at least confirm nothing has changed.) I'm thinking they've gotten burned a few times and they're taking no chances.

Before reading this I had never heard of a phone wallet. It's good to have options but I hope nothing like this becomes a requirement in the next few decades because I am extremely slow at learning new tech.

I also went from a wallet to a phone case attached to my cell phone in the last few years, holds 4 cards, so carry a Drivers license, Retired Military card, CC & Debit card.

My insurer doesn't send hard copies

So I use their app.

I use the Costco app for Costco card.

I use the AAA app for AAA member card.

Have photos of my driver's license and passport but I think most places aren't accepting those.

Before reading this I had never heard of a phone wallet. It's good to have options but I hope nothing like this becomes a requirement in the next few decades because I am extremely slow at learning new tech.

Some concert and sport events require the use of an electronic ticket only, and will not accept a paper copy.

Must have been 8 or more years ago, a colleague asked me: If you left your house and realized you'd forgotten your phone, you'd go back for it. Wallet? can do without for a day if needed. If you're using apple or google pay, or apps at stores with your cards linked, I could see a phone working for most day-to-day stuff.

I have used my phone to help me find docs I needed that I never carry in my wallet, and it works like a charm.

Wallet? can do without for a day if needed.

The one thing that gives me pause about that is my driver's license. If something happened, not having your license on you could potentially be a problem.

I'm glad to see that Apple is now allowing you to put your DL in the Wallet app on an iPhone. At least eight states have signed up to allow this so far, and I'm pretty sure a couple of them have already implemented it.

The one thing that gives me pause about that is my driver's license. If something happened, not having your license on you could potentially be a problem.

I'm glad to see that Apple is now allowing you to put your DL in the Wallet app on an iPhone. At least eight states have signed up to allow this so far, and I'm pretty sure a couple of them have already implemented it.

States are slow with this. AFAIK, CA doesn't support it and anyone who's ever been to the DMV here could have a good idea why.

I did a small printout of my license and put it into my iPhone case so that I don't have to physically carry my driver's license all the time.

Yes, I do have to scan my membership card first to start checkout. Then I put it away.

There is also a Costco phone app that shows the membership card. And you can scan this at a checkout register.
I found that the self-serve checkout will scan a photo of my membership card and then can use ApplePay.

I use iphone wallet extensively. I do carry a wallet but the phone is primary. I also use pics of loyalty and membership cards in my iphone which are scannable. I can get cash from an ATM using the bank app on iphone and my PIN #.

I found that the self-serve checkout will scan a photo of my membership card and then can use ApplePay.
I should try that as I already have the Costco ID in my phone Costco app and it does scan at the regular registers, but then I have to take out and unlock my phone!

I did use the Costco app as entrance ID for a while. But I’ve since gotten into the habit of taking out my Costco VISA card for entrance ID and then just slide it into my pocket.

I use iphone wallet extensively. I do carry a wallet but the phone is primary. I also use pics of loyalty and membership cards in my iphone which are scannable. I can get cash from an ATM using the bank app on iphone and my PIN #.
Wow, OK, never heard of this!

Illinois is exploring the use of digital Driver's License.

This digital age has so much further to go before I'll be comfortable carrying just a phone. They can't even get texting to work consistently across platforms.

They should just jump to a Verbal license.
Just ask me who I am, and where I live.
They will see my photo when they pull up the license on the car computer. :cool:

Which bank?

I think Chase has NFC readers in their ATMs.

Wow, OK, never heard of this!

Investigated further.

Apparently all the BofA ATMs now support cardless ATM withdrawal. You select the debit card in your digital wallet, hold device close, then enter the PIN into the ATM and follow the steps. I like this - no card inserted. And I can use my watch.

With the BofA app you can even schedule an ATM withdrawal in advance, specifying amount and type of receipt, so all you have to do at the ATM is hold your device (watch or phone) close and enter your PIN.

This is great! I don’t know how I missed this, as it looks like first announcements were in 2017.

I didn’t even realize our debit cards had expired until we went into the bank for safe deposit box access and the person pointed it out - they use the debit card as one form of ID. They issued new debit cards. I just added it to my digital wallets phone and watch.

Last edited:
Yeah but it means having bank accounts with BofA which aggressively nicks your money with fees.

And dumb that you have to enter PIN because bio authentication should be more than secure enough.

Yeah but it means having bank accounts with BofA which aggressively nicks your money with fees.

And dumb that you have to enter PIN because bio authentication should be more than secure enough.
I have never been charged a bank account fee by BofA and used them since since 2004. You just have to pay attention.

I’m glad a PIN is still required at the ATM. I thought that was a logical extra layer of protection to retain. Someone can be sloppy with their phone password which overrides biometric logins.

Last edited:
Actually, my guess is that the PIN is to make sure it's a debit transaction, not a cash advance on the credit card part of the debit card.

I've put my debit card in Apple Pay but as far as I can tell, it's strictly for using as a credit card, not for making ATM withdrawals, without the immediate interest associated with cast advances.

BofA instructions for cardless use of their ATMs was to add their debit/ATM card to your digital wallet. They support multiple types of digital wallets.

I figured he used something like this to save his back:
cartoon-guy-carrying-wheelbarrow-full-of-money-vector-id455589301

I watched a video yesterday about a Loomis-Fargo heist of $17M dollars. It was over 1000lbs of money. They ended up leaving $3M in the van because they ran out of room when they transferred the money from the original van to another.

Spoiler Alert

Poor guy lost the girl he stole the money for (never had her) and lost the money to the guy that hid the money for him while he was in Mexico.

youtube.com/watch?v=GgfLd8K8s3Y Add Https://www. if you want to see it. It's very long at 1:40:40. The people with the money lived such a conspicuous lifestyle paying cash, that 8 people reported them to the police. The first break in the case was when the girlfriend of the guy that hid the money went to the bank with a lot of cash and "ask how much money can I deposit without paperwork", the teller did paperwork on a suspicious transaction after the question. Later she deposited a banded bundle of money with the initials of a Loomis-Fargo employee, this tied the money to the heist. Everyone got caught, even friends that opened bank account to launder money. The original thief was relieved to see the people that surrounded him one day were FBI, because he knew the people with the money were out to kill him to get rid of the link to him.

I can use the Apple Wallet but it's a hassle (to me). Have to unlock the phone with passcode, start up the app, enter passcode again and then scan. Easier to just tap my card.

I WAS impressed that when I accidentally left the house without my phone and was taking the grandchildren to Starbucks, it was my 9-year old granddaughter who reminded me that I had the Starbucks app on my watch. Worked just fine!

I use the Key Ring app to scan and store most of my loyalty cards, library card, etc. It doesn't work with Costco but it saves me from having to download an app for every merchant or carry around a bunch of loyalty cards. It really helps to be able to store cards that I use only rarely, e.g. Kroger and Publix, which are common in SC where i visit family but not in my area.

Since you have the Apple Watch, use that to pay instead of your phone. It’s far more convenient. That’s all I use.

But all I have to do with my phone is tap and swipe up and then double-click the power button and the phone is ready to pay. It uses face recognition. Not bad but the watch is way easier.

Ha ha I forgot I had the Starbucks app on my watch. There it is with my Starbucks preloaded card. I don’t need it however - I usually order ahead and pay then.

Last edited:
I should try that as I already have the Costco ID in my phone Costco app and it does scan at the regular registers, but then I have to take out and unlock my phone!

I've found that the more I take out their phone for incidental reasons (like getting into Costco or paying at the register) the more I drop or misplace it.

I've found that the more I take out their phone for incidental reasons (like getting into Costco or paying at the register) the more I drop or misplace it.

I've left my phone in the shopping cart at Costco more than once. Not sure if it's just old age or my brain is turning into soft oatmeal. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom