VA ID card Alert

I don't see the big deal. The SSAN is encoded in a bar code, but it's right out in plain text on the Social Security card. I carry both of them in my wallet.

I don't see the big deal. The SSAN is encoded in a bar code, but it's right out in plain text on the Social Security card. I carry both of them in my wallet.

I used to do that but have read that carrying the SS card is a bad idea. It now is in a desk drawer. About the only time you would need it is if you open a new bank account at a new bank,or start a new job, so you need not carry it very often.

I've only had a SS card for 26 years, still in pristine condition as I've never carried it. Rare is the occasion that I've needed to produce it.

I had a new SS card made in 1975, 38 years ago, when I married and therefore changed my name. At that time, I laminated it.

IIRC, I have not needed to actually produce the physical card even once since I laminated it in 1975. I carried in my wallet for a couple of decades but now it resides in a desk drawer.

Oops!
What I meant, of course, is my Medicare card.
Every doctor's office wants to scan it at every visit, so I carry it.
The SS number is printed on it in large clear characters.

I take my VA card along only 2x/year.

Once when I go to the local VA clinic to get my flu shot.

Once when I go to the local Olive Garden to get my "free meal" :cool: ...

BTW, our local Olive Garden started asking for "proof" that you are a vet this year. Apparently they had a number of indivudials in the past just saying they were vets in order to get the meal.

For a military retiree or user of the VA system, you have the proof. However for the majority of vets that did not retire from the military or VA participant, there's a problem. I doubt if many former vets walk around with their DD214 just in case it is needed.

Oops!
What I meant, of course, is my Medicare card.
Every doctor's office wants to scan it at every visit, so I carry it.
The SS number is printed on it in large clear characters.

That sounds more like it. :)

My HI card used to have it printed on it until the regulations changed some years ago requiring them to remove it. I can't see why Medicare still insist on having the full SS# printed on the cards.

Back
Top Bottom