Volunteering as a Poll Worker

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our county desperately needs "volunteers" for poll workers (they actually pay $100). We're okay with doing our civic duty, although the 13 hour gig seems a little long....

Has anyone ever done this?

I did this in the last election here in VA. Actually, the pay has gone up to $110 here. We arrived at 5 am and got home at 9 pm so it's little longer than 13 hrs. No one can leave until the votes are tallied by the captain.

But, I met some wonderful people, some retired, some teachers who had the day off, had some interesting conversations. Everyone brought something to share for meals, we had plenty of magazines and books for the slow times, and a local establishment provided dinner for everyone. We were busy most of the day since there was a hot race for school board.

I can honestly say that, although the day is long, I felt like I was doing something worthwhile and will probably do it again. In fact, they have asked me to do it in February for the primary here in VA.:)

True story: My girlfriend does this every election. But last election, she had two workers besides her and they were in their 80's. They would fall asleep between people, she would have to nudge them to wake up every time someone came in... Gave us a good laugh, anyway.

Those '80-year-olds are perfectly matched to the "J*b." I did it once; it is essentially as 13-hour coffee klotch. I learned a lot about my neighbors; it was an integrated neigborhood but it was news to me that there were so many Afro-Americans who never shopped or ate in the area, I never saw them at the churches, libraries, etc., I assume they commuted to other neighborhoods for those activities. And don't tell anyone, but the polling process may not be totally currupt but it is "loose."

I was in charge of several polling places over about a five year period. Because I was a county employee, I didn't get the $100 -- I did get overtime for the long days, though.

Depending on the precinct, it can be dull as molasses in January, or it can be fairly busy. The busiest elections I worked were one in which a county commissioner was challenged and the 2000 Presidential election.

I haven't done the poll worker thing, but my DD has an interesting side job tonight. She, along with a number of other college students, will each visit several "key" precincts after voting ends and will call in the voting results to a local radio station. They are being paid $50 for each precinct they visit (in her case it's three sites, all within about a mile of each other), plus mileage.

I haven't done the poll worker thing, but my DD has an interesting side job tonight. She, along with a number of other college students, will each visit several "key" precincts after voting ends and will call in the voting results to a local radio station. They are being paid $50 for each precinct they visit (in her case it's three sites, all within about a mile of each other), plus mileage.
Let's see....$150 for what can't be more than 2-3 hours of work, vs. $110-110 for 13 to 16 hours...smart girl.

Still, I've considered doing the poll worker thing some day.

I've done it along with working as poll watcher. Poll watchers are they to insure an "honest" election and also to help with the get out the vote campaign for candidates/parties. I.e. call folks that you want to make sure they vote!

A poll worker was pretty tedious poll watcher was kind of fun, but no pay.

Back
Top Bottom