Waikiki Pictures

In the spirit of REWahoo I could run on about all of Hawaii's deathly attractions: tsunami, earthquakes, live volcanoes, hurricanes, slippery hiking ridges, mudslides, avalanches, hepatitis, leptospirosis, dengue fever, rusty hotel balcony railings, brown scorpions, feral pigs, and Don Ho...

You forgot:

- $500 fines for touching endangered turtles
- Sharks!
- Overweight tourists wearing minimal clothing

The photos were great...brought back memories of my time stationed there (35 years ago at FICPAC on NavSta Pearl, when it was still located on Ford Island). I went back in 2000 and looked all over for Ft. DeRussy....until I realized that the huge high-rise on the site of the old WWII-type buildings is the NEW Ft. DeRussy. Had brunch on the lanai there one day...very nice, although I did like the original restaurant...lots of "old Hawaiian" character. One of these days I'll get back, as my sister wants to visit the other islands and see the volcanoes. Thanks for the memories!!

Wow- congratulations. That looks like a great trip! It's cool to see you guys and put faces with pictures.
It REALLY makes me miss Hawaii too. I always looked at that hotel, and wondered what it would be like to stay there. It always seemed like it would have the perfect view if you were on the side facing the ocean.
How long did you stay? It seems like you got a lot packed in there.
That's what life is made of, right? Vacations are really worth it.

Cool pics, TromboneAl! Enjoyed all the photos - makes me want to go back to Hawaii for a vacation, too. I remember the wonderful shaved ice they served (probably still do) at Matsumoto's Drug Store on the North Shore, and the variety of food available in Honolulu. Looks like you, your wife, Nords, and his daughter had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

How long did you stay? It seems like you got a lot packed in there.

We arrived on Tuesday about 5 PM, and left the next Tuesday, 9 PM.

There were a lot of things we planned to do, but didn't get around to. Halfway through the trip we heard a lot of "We'll do that next time."

Hey, Al, you missed the show!

http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/08/news/story01.html

In 2000 a rockslide shut down Kamehameha Highway around Waimea Bay for three months. It was so bad that the Marines and the CBs were called in to build a beach road (perforated steel planking) around the slide while the cliff was stabilized and the highway was rerouted. It was pretty cool to drive into the Waimea parking lot, drive right onto the beach, across the stream, and go back up onto the highway on the other side.

The steel beams and chain-link fencing are pretty impressive-- but they weren't enough. They're hoping to reopen Kam Hwy tomorrow...

I remember seeing that fence.

Also, there was something on the news about how cold it was in Hawaii last week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom